Apr 19, 2013, 08:57 PM
theoriginalfluffy
Doublefile with ajuga in bloom

Apr 19, 2013, 08:59 PM
theoriginalfluffy
Island bed

Apr 19, 2013, 09:21 PM
ga.karen
Pretty! I like the stuff in that second pic! Nice!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion
Apr 20, 2013, 12:21 AM
Jeanette
Love your yard and your shed.
Apr 20, 2013, 08:02 AM
patty louise
I've never been a fan of viburnums but DH loves them. He had a native one & the flowers smelled like dirty socks! I made him put it in the woods.

It is beautiful! That second pic could be in a magazine.

Love the way your island bed kind of "drifts" in front of your shed!

My 1900s farmhouse:
http://share.shutterfly.com/ac...sid=0Abtm7Zw4cMmLKvg

My gardens:
http://share.shutterfly.com/ac...sid=0Abtm7Zw4cMmLLJq
Apr 20, 2013, 08:26 AM
vera ellen
I love them all........and ditto on the second picture. I really like the island bed too with the dogwood. Looks like spring has sprung at your place.

ve
Apr 20, 2013, 10:36 AM
muddyshoes
Ahh! Beautiful Fluff!

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)
Apr 20, 2013, 10:57 AM
theoriginalfluffy
Thanks everyone. The viburnum only took five years to decide to really bloom but now I'm glad I let him stay.
Apr 20, 2013, 02:18 PM
jmchab
So very pretty. TFS.
Apr 20, 2013, 04:58 PM
nance425
Ditto all that above. Purty!!!!
Apr 21, 2013, 11:07 AM
zone9alady
Beautiful!

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford
Apr 30, 2013, 06:21 PM
jackierenette
Beautiful yard and garden bed.I am glad I am looking at 2 page threads.Found this Smile

I am hooked on the Doublefile Viburnum and Spirea everyone has told me about.Going to town tomorrow to try to find 5 of either one.Smile
Apr 30, 2013, 06:33 PM
silly bird
Oh so pretty!!!

Carlene
Apr 30, 2013, 07:56 PM
theoriginalfluffy
Thanks again everyone. The middle bed is filling in now and there are some irises blooming. More pics to come.

Jackierenette, If you get the doublefile, you might have to be really patient. I love it now but it took about four or five seasons to really bloom. The first several years, there were no blooms. Then another year, it got just a few. Now it really is in it's glory but it took soooo long.

Now if you get spirea, it should bloom the first year and they are so hearty. I even dug one up because I was rearranging things, left it just sitting there, and it grew roots into the ground and bloomed this spring.
Apr 30, 2013, 08:01 PM
jackierenette
So you'd go for more Spirea,than the Viburnum then?I know to keep plants wet until established.I read up on them this evening,and saw they like moist soil.How is yours growing?

Remember I get full sun and clay,well drained soil.Would you go for these?
Apr 30, 2013, 08:18 PM
theoriginalfluffy
I'd go for the spirea because you'll get blooms the first season. The viburnum gets to be about 12 ft tall too, so it might be too big. I also have clay. My viburnum gets late afternoon sun for a few hours a day. The spirea, I have two, and have moved them both several times to different spots and they seem to be happy anywhere. Weigela might be nice too if you want pink flowers.
Apr 30, 2013, 08:41 PM
jackierenette
Thank you so very much.Now to got to the nurserys tomorrow.And our local jockey lot - flea market to see what might be there.
Apr 30, 2013, 09:01 PM
bana
thanks for taking us along on the walk around your garden. love the island bed against the green lawn back drop. very pretty. and nice shed too.
Apr 30, 2013, 10:42 PM
ga.karen
I just cut back my spirea today. My biggest one. I cut off between 1/2 -2/3s of it. It was about 6' tall and 8' wide and hanging so that it blocked my view of some of my other beds and was in the way of mowing. Got 2 more big ones to cut back tomorrow...so give them plenty of room! And mine only get water when it rains and they do fine whether we have rain or drought. But they do get aphids every year on new growth. I just squirt them with the hose several times to get rid of them.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion
Apr 30, 2013, 11:01 PM
theoriginalfluffy
Why thank you, Bana. I really appreciate the positive feedback from all of my fellow gardeners!
May 02, 2013, 02:39 PM
KOW
Love the pictures - your gardens are looking pretty darn good this early. I have a Korean Spice Vibernum and it smells heavenly! I thought they all must smell that good. I guess not though.
May 02, 2013, 04:01 PM
theoriginalfluffy
KOW, Thanks so much! I thought spring would never come but I know it's even later in other parts. No smell that I have noticed on mine, good or bad.