Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

hummer Sign In/Join 
posted
Finally I got a pic of one you can see the colors instread of having to much light in the background.Thanks for looking.
I know most of you get great pics so hope you'll enjoy mine too.
I'm really enjoying feeding them.

Carlene

Posts: 1372 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
The only thing I'm looking forward to when I get home on Sunday is putting up my hummer feeders.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6213 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
great close up. thanks for sharing it with us.

Posts: 3535 | Location: SF Peninsula Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Good shot and really CLOSE! Glad you are enjoying them.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4323 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Wonderful!!

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12450 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Great shot!
This is my first year having fun with them, too.

Posts: 4343 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
GREAT shot!

Posts: 4767 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Man, that is an awesome shot. I did enjoy looking at your picture. So glad that you are enjoying the hummers.

ve

Posts: 3177 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks everyone. I'll never get tired of feeding them.

Carlene

Posts: 1372 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great Shot! And welcome to the club....none of us ever get tired of feeding or seeing them!!

Posts: 657 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Great shot Silly bird. They are so much fun to feed and watch. Something new for us this year is that our hummers will hover around us when we are out on the patio. They seem not the least bit frightened of us.

Posts: 2133 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks love belonging to the club Smile!
I have had them circle my head and one was in my face a couple days ago!
We could have a whole board just on hummers!

Carlene

Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
They are just the cutest little things! Great picture! When I wear my purple cap they love me!

Posts: 10350 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by silly bird:
We could have a whole board just on hummers!

Good idea Smile

Posts: 2133 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
I thought mine had left as I hadn't seen any of them in this super humid weather but just spotted the male by the rose of sharon blooms!! So got all feeders filled & hoping he stays for a couple weeks1

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12450 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
For the past week I've noticed that I'm down to six......previously there were 3 or 4 times that many....I was filling feeders daily, sometimes twice daily. Now the feeding frenzy has slowed so much that it's been 3 days since I filled the feeders. I wonder if they are nesting again or if migration has already started.

ve

Posts: 3177 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Up here the males leave the first week of September. The females leave about a week or so later.

Posts: 6728 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
Wow-Wee, what a great photo!! How do you (& Muddy) manage to get such beautiful bird pics, pray tell? I saw a baby Cardinal (yayyyyy!!!) at my platform feeder yesterday and was dying to take a photo. The minute I open the sliding glass door, the birds fly away. Do you stand out there for a while like a stalker to take the pictures??? LOL Smile

Posts: 2238 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just sit on the porch and they come to the feeder. It's only aobut 4' from me and then zoom. I've taken humdreds of shots to get one good one tho! Also use the tripod set up in the dining room it's only aobut 6-8' from the feeders.
Muddy's are much better than mine. She has a great camera!

Carlene

posted Hide Post
3 of us were watching multiple feeders here in northern MN and only saw female/young birds. So it appears the males have already left.. about a week earlier than usual. The ones left were really feeding heavily, zooming all over the place.

So those of us south of us, get your camera ready. You may be a stop-over for the migration!

Posts: 6728 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've still got 2 males and a couple of juvies fighting over the feeders!

Carlene

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Yes, VE, the migration is already underway. The males usually leave first but the juvis and females are on the move too.

Other birds are migrating, too, so keep your eyes open.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6213 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post