Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OT...News Sign In/Join 
Picture of ga.karen
posted
VE said it was ok to tell everyone....
Her Mother had a stroke Mon. evening and just came home from the hospital. Part of her throat is paralyzed so VE is having to prepare a special diet for her. She can move her arms/legs but is too weak to do anything for herself so again, VE is doing more.
The wedding is still on and she is getting help from several family members but is still trying to get everything into a routine and at this point she said she is exhausted every night.

So she may not post until she gets everything under better control.
And I'm sure she would appreciate some prayers, good vibes & thoughts headed her way.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5154 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Oh, I'm SO sorry to hear this. Vera, you have prayers and hugs heading your way.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6853 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Our best to you VE.

Posts: 3508 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
Wishing VE and Mom lots of resiliency and strength. I wish I were close enough to lend a hand.

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7549 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
thanks for the update. thoughts and prayers are with her and momma.

Posts: 3922 | Location: Northern CA Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Thinking of you, momma, and your family, VE.

Posts: 4699 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ditto here.

Carlene

Posts: 1822 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thoughts and prayers headed your way Vera.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Praying for your mom and your family Vera Ellen.

Posts: 2316 | Location: Coastal Plain Region ~~ Georgia ~~ Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is so physically and mentally exhausting. Vera, prayers are with you and family.

Posts: 7315 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Thank you all - for the first time since the stroke, I have a breather. House is quiet, phone is not ringing, there are no visitors and momma is resting. All things considered, she is doing very well. No paralysis, other than the condition in the throat (esophagus), although there is severe weakness in the left side. She is very tough...and trying very hard to regain her strength so that she can get up and down and do bathroom duty by herself. I'm not sure that's going to happen as weak as she is, but we shall see.

I do appreciate all of your kind words of encouragement. It's a whole nuther ballgame now. I do promise to check in again the first time I get a breather or feel that I can spare a moment without deciding that the couch is the better option. Smile

Love and hugs to all of you, and thanks again.

ve

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vera ellen,

Posts: 3765 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
Thank you for letting us know, g.k.

Posts: 5037 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4_seasons
posted Hide Post
Vera, I am sorry to hear about your dear momma. My thoughts are with all of you and a special prayer for your mother. Take care of yourself too.

Posts: 190 | Location: Illinois 5a | Registered: Mar 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
Wishing your mother a speedy recovery (as can be expected) and that everything goes smoothingly at the wedding. That is a difficult situation and my thoughts & prayers are with you. Stay well

Posts: 2558 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Toots
posted Hide Post
you and momma have all the love and good wishes and healing vibes I can muster from here to there!!!... you know my love is strong for you and the family... I hope you can 'feel' it washing over you when you think of me, if you ever get a second to think "toots is thinking of me".... love and hugs, honey.... It will be all right, I know it will... Momma is tough and will work to get back what ain't workin' so hot.... she's got too much love around her to do anything less.....

"Gardening Keeps Me Growing!"

Posts: 26888 | Location: Near Charlotte, NC, zone 7 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone....momma is improving daily...it's all the love and prayers I'm sure. We have had some minor setbacks...a series of mini-strokes. She asked me why she kept having them and I told her it was like aftershocks after an earthquake. She thought that was funny but the aftershocks needed to get out of her brain. It's good days and bad days, but thankfully, more good than bad.

Toots, I can feel you love...we've been friends for a long time...and I do appreciate your caring more than you know.

love and hugs

v

Posts: 3765 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear there has been some improvements no matter how small they may seem.
Give your Mamma a hug for me and you get some rest every chance you can...HEAR??? ((hugs))

I like that earthquake comparison! That's neat!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5154 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KarenNY1 zone 7
posted Hide Post
Vera, my prayers are with you and your Momma. She seems to be improving day by day. Is she getting any physical therapy?

Posts: 191 | Location: Wharton,NJ Zone 7 | Registered: Apr 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Prayers coming your way! Hope your mom recovers soon.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7577 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vera,

Hope that your mom is feeling better and the mini strokes have subsided. You must be totally overwhelmed. thoughts and prayers being sent your way.

Is the wedding still on?

Posts: 3276 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
Prayers out to your Mom Vera. She'll bounce back...it takes time. Glad she's is doing better each day!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1180 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for letting us know. Thinking of them.

Posts: 15330 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Thank all of you for these thoughts. Momma is definitely having more good days than bad days lately...yes, she is getting therapy for her vocal cords and esophagus, but not physical therapy. I was shown how to do that since she isn't totally paralyzed..just a slight dragging of the left leg. She still has an amazing grip in her left hand. WE have Home Health Nurse visits twice a week to check her progress, etc...and I've picked up a lot of pointers from them that have saved my back and made life a bit easier.