Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Just a link....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just a link.... Sign In/Join 
Picture of ga.karen
posted
That I think we all should read...

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc...-113008800.html?vp=1

The board wouldn't let me post a quote from it, but it is something we should all be aware of!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4937 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
WOW Good to know!

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 13021 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
How horrible. I had 2 guys come up to my door several years ago - out of state tags on their car. I talked to them thru the door - would NOT open it. They finally left but I did get the license # & called it in to the police. One never knows these days.

Posts: 10424 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
real simple solution if you see someone on your porch you don't know. instead of opening your door, open your window instead. you can easily talk to the strangers thru a screened window, & it's a whole lot easier than trying to shut a door when that person is trying to get in. that's what I do. I never answer the door, I open the window instead.

cheryl hill

Posts: 375 | Location: lansing, MI u.s.a. | Registered: Aug 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much for sharing this with your gardening buddies!!
I learned I don't have to answer my door every time a random stranger rings the bell. It doesn't happen often, but now I peek on the porch from a window & if I don't know them, I don't answer the door. The video crime occurred at 6 AM! I'd be in my PJ's & wud never open door! But thanks for sharing!

Posts: 2481 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
I feel bad for the man and his wife but I would never open my door for anyone at 6 a.m. That is good to know. I hate it when strangers come to my house. We frequently have contractors stop by and want to do work like seal the driveway. The answer is always no. A lot of them want a deposit and then are never seen again. Noone does any work around here without us calling them. I keep the Jeho vahs Witne sses away because I have a bee nest on the front porch. Some came by several years ago and complained about the bees nest. I told them to leave and not worry about the nest. They have never been back!!

Posts: 15326 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the link, gk.

Posts: 4942 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I live in an area where no one can see my house from the road. I've had strange cars drive down the drive and strangers come to my door. There is no way I would ever open my door to a stranger. I didn't when I lived in a subdivision with lots of people close by.

I have three driveway alarms to let me know when someone is coming, 'Beware of German Shepherd' signs on the front gate and two dogs that sound like the "Hounds from He!!" when the alarms go off. Most turn around and leave when they hear the dogs. The UPS and FedEx guys drop off the packages and make a run for it. LOL!
At night, I turn all the outside lights and floodlights on when the alarms go off. I have a 45 cal. semi-automatic, a 22 cal, and a 12g shotgun. I am a good shot and will not hesitate to shoot if need be. Living alone for many years has caused me to be very cautious.

You can never be too careful, on the other hand, I don't believe that a person should live in fear. Planning and precautions keep me comfortable. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zone9alady,

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7482 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSTR (Stop & Smell the Roses)
posted Hide Post
I read this advice not long ago about strangers at your door. If the door is not answered, they will assume no one is home and proceed to enter your house by whatever means they want. It is probably better to speak loudly through the door or if you have the window close by, open it and talk through that.

Posts: 679 | Location: TX Gulf coast, zone 9 | Registered: Mar 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm, very interesting! Maybe it depends where you live. When I purposely don't answer the door I watch to see that he leaves. There are houses right next to me and right across from me so he couldn't be too noisy. A person across the street was robbed a few yrs ago in the morning, so it does happen, and it was right before the kids came home from school on a half a day (before 1 pm). One thing I did when I first moved here was to try and learn who belonged on this block. I was really nervous about living in a house and it was a big adjustment for me. I made it my business to study the people & the cars on this block. I live up the block from an elementary school & lots of teachers & others park here during the day. I just felt better knowing who actually lived here (not everyone but many faces/cars I recognize!) (My DH doesn't know the people by sight). Someone was once parked in my driveway for a while. I "knew the "car" & told my DH it belonged to my DD's classmate 5 houses down! So he didn't call authorities to move the car! My being very nosey comes in handy! Zone 9 Lady I didn't know you lived alone. You are ONE TOUGH COOKIE!!!

Posts: 2481 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I'm another one that is prepared.
Since I don't want anyone breaking my glass storm door or the oval window front door, I answer. However, there is a pistol of some kind in my hand...it may or may not be visible to the person knocking.
If there is more than one person, males, I've been known to go out the back door with a long gun and come around the side of the house & surprise them.
My couch is in front of our front windows closest to the door, I wouldn't be able to open one of them.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4937 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Waverider Wink:
......Zone 9 Lady I didn't know you lived alone. You are ONE TOUGH COOKIE!!!

I lived alone from age 21 to 31, and then married a mi,litary man who was gone 3 to 6 months at a time. For the past 10 years here, I'm alone for just 8 hours a day while DH is at work.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7482 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post