Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Selling Bulbs or Plants for a fundraiser?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Selling Bulbs or Plants for a fundraiser? Sign In/Join 
Picture of nance425
posted
Has your school or organization sold bulbs or plants for a school fundraiser? How did it go? I see Tesselaars offers 45% on each bulb sold for the seller.

I would much rather buy plants than candy or pizzas. Smile

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Usually around here it's either those Domino Pizza booklets or stupid magazines. Only one time and that was waaay back when my youngest g-son was in grammer school, they sold bulbs. I undestand they did well, but not sure what the return was for the school. They never did it again anyway.

ve

Posts: 3177 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Well, way back when, I got cuttings of plants from all my cub scout mothers. I started them all and transported them to the cub scout yearly fund raiser.
I sold out in less than 1 hr. and I had over 100 little plants. They were priced at 50 cents & 1 dollar each! Some were house plants, some perennials and some veggie starts.

So judging from that experience...that was a LOT more popular than candy bars, over priced gift wrap or magazines.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4323 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
I so wish we would see schools use plants as a fundraiser than candy bars and pizza. I don't have kids in school but would gladly buy plants rather than junk food.

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
I hate those fundraisers. I do not need pizza of candybars. I would much rather buy plants or bulbs. Try it. You may be surprised. Are you in a rural area. I think it would do etter if you were not living in the city.

Posts: 15205 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thebrownthumb
posted Hide Post
my grandaughter sold Mums last fall as a school fundraiser. The were gorgeous! They did very well. I could not tell you the $ amt. but could find out, my daughter in law is head of PTO.

There are no gardening mistakes, only experiments. Janet Kilburn Phillips

Posts: 4384 | Location: Central PA | Registered: Sep 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jo-CT
posted Hide Post
Our grade school is extremely lucky to have a local nursery deeply discount their spring flowers for the school to sell right before Mother's Day. Usually 6packs of pansies, marigolds, impatiens. The PTA wraps them in brightly colored foils with ribbon.

Posts: 1314 | Location: Southwestern, CT | Registered: Aug 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post