Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Not in my garden
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not in my garden Sign In/Join 
Picture of ga.karen
posted
Or any other place around here, I hope!

quote:
It’s only been three days since the start of Mississippi’s alligator hunting season, yet a pair of parties have already submitted two record-breaking ‘gators, state wildlife officials announced Monday.

Dustin Brockman of Vicksburg, Miss., ventured with his brother and friend into the Mississippi River by motorboat early Saturday night and emerged with a 727-pound record breaker that was 13 feet, 4.5 inches long.

The previous weight record was 697.5 pounds, according to Ricky Flynt, program coordinator with the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks.

“We chased him for about two hours,” Brockman said. “Then we got a shot on him.”

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_new...ite&ocid=msnhp&pos=4

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4304 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Barb in Mississippi
posted Hide Post
I still can't believe that there was an alligator in Mississippi!
Vicksburg isn't that far from Holly Springs. If I saw something like that, you can be sure I wouldn't be around long! It's hard to believe that someone would 'chase' that thing for two hours...but when you consider the source...

Posts: 3137 | Location: Holly Springs, MS USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
You people grow them big!!! I saw this on the news last evening...and when I logged onto the internet this morning, the picture is front page news on MSN.

I had no clue gators could grow that big. You girls be careful out there!

ve

Posts: 3166 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
We see them quite often in the rivers but nothing that huge! Wouldn't want to encounter that one Smile

Also don't think I'd want his head mounted for my house......deer heads okay but a gator head, I think NOT !!

Posts: 2129 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
I just saw it on the T.V. this morning!!! They caught TWO ALLIGATORS. The 2nd one was a little bigger/heavier than the first one!
And I'm afraid of centipedes.....go figure! Wink

Posts: 2230 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm...makes you wonder what they have been "eating". lol

Posts: 4762 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
I'm worried about our Barb! OMG!!!!!

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12447 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Barb in Mississippi
posted Hide Post
Don't worry about me! I have a pretty good feeling that I COULD DEFINITELY OUT RUN HIM/HER or at least TRY to outrun IT! But, I wouldn't go looking for it to start with!
joy37, I can picture it eating an entire herd of cows!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Barb in Mississippi,

Posts: 3137 | Location: Holly Springs, MS USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
I had no idea gators grew that big! That's way bigger than the bears around here!

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12587 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Wow it is a monster! I saw it on the news this morning. Florida and Louisiana has it's share of gators and my father used to bring them home when I was a kid, but nothing as big as that!

GEEEEZ, that thing could swallow me whole! :O

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Waverider Wink:
I just saw it on the T.V. this morning!!! They caught TWO ALLIGATORS. The 2nd one was a little bigger/heavier than the first one!
And I'm afraid of centipedes.....go figure! Wink

LOL Muddy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7701 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Yes ladies, gators can grow that big. Way back in the early 70's when I was living in Punta Gorda, Fl., there was one about 12' in the creek behind my in laws mobile home park. There were a couple of scary incidents with it...maybe stalking a small child that a grandparent was babysitting. Also, small dogs & cats left loose disappeared.
Barb, don't try to out-run one on land...climb as high as possible in the nearest tree or anything else you can climb. They can out run a quarter horse for a short distance.
Back during that time, my boss's son disappeared one evening...couldn't find him any place. Had just started organizing a search group when he came dragging in about 9pm...and he was only around 10 yrs. old. He had been throwing oranges from a grove near the creek at a gator...the gator got fed up & chased him. He climbed the tree but the gator kept him there for several hours before it finally went back into the creek.
We have gators here in swampy areas, rivers, creeks, ponds, etc. They are moving north very slowly.
And believe me...if you have a bull gator in your area you can HEAR him during mating season. Way louder than a cow, more like a moose bellowing.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4304 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Oh lordy, I'm glad we don't have such beasties here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7701 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post