Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Why I N E V E R post to the gardening forum.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why I N E V E R post to the gardening forum. Sign In/Join 
Picture of MyLifeVacation1
posted
I am an avid novice gardener -- floral, not vegetable. A few years back I attempted to join in on the discussions going on in this particular forum. Because I was new (I had only joined the boards a few months before making my first post in the gardening forum) and, unintentionally, had a name similar to one of your “leaders”, I was immediately pegged as a tr*ol*l and unmercifully hounded and made fun of by three of your top posters and another poster who is now missing (oddly enough, almost from my backdoor of Youngstown, OH).

During those first three weeks we had here in Ohio an unusually large overnight snowfall -- 3 to 3 1/2 feet. When I posted pics of the view out my back door I was accused of stea*ling pictures from someone who REALLY did live in Ohio. I tried posting pics of winter birds in the bushes in my backyard and was accused of stea*ling them (the pics) from elsewhere on the web.

I did everything in my power to make peace, short of giving out my soc ial sec*urity number and address. Only one thoughtful poster from Florida (you know who you are, BR) was kind enough to suggest that it might be better if I changed my screen name. Sounds reasonable, but my screen name at the time had a deeply personal meaning to me, was created long before I even started reading the gardening forum, and I was in censed that I should be bul*lied into making such a change by cru el, inse nsitive strangers.

I eventually migrated to the At Home and Decorating boards, changed my screen name, and started my virtual online life anew. Never again posted to the Gardening forum again until today.

By shu nning me and forcing me out of your little group you were the los*ers. I had a lot of interesting stories and beautiful pictures I could have shared with you and I could have learned a lot through discussions with you too. Too bad such swift and unju st (and cru el) judgments are made without a second thought to the hurt feel ings on the other end of the line.

Don't bother responding to me, just talk amongst yourselves. Discuss.

Posts: 967 | Registered: Oct 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I'm a relative newcomer to the forum, and I'm so sorry that you were subjected to such meanness. And I've enjoyed your participation on other forums. If you don't want to post here, I understand, but I would like for you to do so. Anyway, take care.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6225 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
WOW-WEE unbelievable. MLV, so sorry to hear what an unbelievably rude experience you had visiting this Gardening board. I first discovered these message boards 9 yrs. ago when house hunting. It was a life-saver at the time as I knew nothing about buying a house. Now, fast forward, I rarely go on the Real Estate board now. I had nothing but wonderful responses and lots of good advice on this Gardening board. And trust me, I was usually the one asking the endless, dumb questions cause I knew nothing about gardening. I am really sorry you had such a bad experience and would ask you to please give us another chance. I have noticed this board changed a lot from prior yrs. We had maybe twice the amount of 'active participants' a few yrs. ago. Now, we usually have 5 people that will respond to a question, and 135 that will just "view it". This is the one thing I hate! I love when lots of people respond ~ it makes it lively and fun. This is why the "off topic" questions are always my favorite - 3X as many people answer! Soooo, MLV, I don't know you, but I love when new people visit, so I would just invite you to give us another chance. I find the people here to be amazingly friendly. I am So sorry you had such an unbelievable experience......

Posts: 2241 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Sounds almost unbelievable, doesn't it, altho I 'know' you from the Home Decor forum and do believe you.

I hope you will reconsider posting here as most members here now are nice people who will appreciate your garden pics. If you cannot bring yourself to rejoin us you might consider joining the garden message board at http://mynaturalyard.com/forum/ Many of the nice posters here also post there.

Not an excuse but some members here are very sensitive to garden t*rolls who can be bothersome here.

Edited to add: This post may eventually show up again as I had to edit the T word to get it to post.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: joyluck,

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12604 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
OMG, what the heck is that person talking about & why bring all that up now? I don't even remember it & I've been on the board for years. Someone sure holds a grudge. Yikes.

Yes, I sure am sorry she had such a bad experience, but perhaps the one accusing her of 'stealing' pics was the tr0ll.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mgt,

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7705 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
So sorry. Please join in & show us some of your beautiful gardens.

Posts: 10352 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
IMHO, it is sometimes better to forgive and move on. I have been here over 10 years and do not remember anything like that. I do remember quite a few years ago when someone was posting a few p o r n pictures and we just decided if we ignored it it would go away. And it did. Stay awhile You may find you like it better now.

Posts: 15207 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So sorry for your previous experience. I did not post here years ago-was over at BHG's Garden Talk. Lots of boards experience some bad times at one point or another....best to just let it go. Maybe if you give this group a try now you'll find we are a very friendly, non-militant bunch. Good luck, wherever.

Posts: 666 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Sheesh, I've been here since 2005 and I do remember rude people and nice, helpful people. I don't think this is the place to have "cliques"....that's best left for high school.

Some gardeners here have large landscaped lush gardens that would equal a botanical garden and we have every type down to a small veggie garden. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages. Some know a lot about plants with 40-50 years experience and some know very little.
There's always room for one more. We all learn from each other and I love seeing garden photos. So if you ever change your mind, I look forward to seeing you here.

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Don't know how many years ago a "few" is for you, but it must be longer than you realize. You know how time flies. In the time I've been a frequent visitor to this board, at least 3 years or more, I've never once seen even a hint of the kind of behavior you're talking about. On other boards, regularly, but not gardening or landscaping. I'm a gardener of very modest means and talent, but these folks here have never failed to praise my efforts and provided assistance when needed.

Nothing against you, MLV, but I think it's unfair to hold against this group what another group of meanies did to you back then. Different times, different people. If I'm mistaken, and the same people who abused you are still here, it would have been better to PM them than to resurrect your grievance on the open board in front of others who had no part in it.

I otherwise enjoy everything you contribute to the site and hope you and I can remain cyber-buddies despite my opinion on this particular topic.

Posts: 4349 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NYlady
posted Hide Post
I go way back to 2002 and don't ever remember nonsense like you say happened on this board. At times there were some nasty posts on other boards of hgtv, but that was before moderators. Everyone here is helpful and always there to give encouragement. Post again.. See what happens..

Posts: 3352 | Location: Staten Island, NY , USA | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
I'm in agreement with mgt. Why bring this up now???

Posts: 4772 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Toots
posted Hide Post
well, I'm one who remembers.... and you should have kept your NEVER ..... you only posted to cause a stink, obviously, since you haven't come back to say thanks to those who tried to put balm on your sores.... but you'll probably drop by to tell me to go pound salt.....no matter.... you have a great group to hang with in Décor, so stay there and enjoy them so you don't have to deal with us ever again....no harm, no foul......see how simple that is?

"Gardening Keeps Me Growing!"

Posts: 26868 | Location: Near Charlotte, NC, zone 7 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NYlady
posted Hide Post
Bless your heart Toots, short and to the point.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Staten Island, NY , USA | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NYlady:
Bless your heart Toots, short and to the point.

Agreed...love our Toots. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7705 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thebrownthumb
posted Hide Post
Well said Toots!!!

There are no gardening mistakes, only experiments. Janet Kilburn Phillips

Posts: 4384 | Location: Central PA | Registered: Sep 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Now What
posted Hide Post
Ah, the person of many names is trying to stir the pot again. I have to agree with Toots. And I do remember as well. Hasta la Vista

Posts: 1809 | Location: Northern Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post