Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Sloping planting beds
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sloping planting beds Sign In/Join 
Picture of nettiejay
posted
I've been wondering for a long time about the slopes and berms where most of my plants sit. When I water, it usually runs around the berm and down the slope. Makes me wonder how well the root zones get watered. These areas are all covered with shredded organic mulch, but by this time of summer, it's pretty compact and tends to shed water instead of absorbing it. When I dig down into the earth a few inches, it's pretty dry.

Would like to know how others deal with this, since it seems such a waste of water to let it run until the desired area gets moist.

Posts: 4636 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
can you dig a moat around each plant to direct water to its roots? or is it too steep for that?

Posts: 3886 | Location: Northern CA Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Would a soaker hose work?

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6749 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Either a soaker hose or one of those cheap oscillating sprinklers that don't put out so much water all at one time.
It takes longer! I don't much care for soaker hoses since they cover such a small space and need moved often.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5004 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I think the 'moat' idea might help, except for the big maple tree.

I really hate soaker hoses, don't you? They have to be dragged around and then rolled up with all that dirt on them. Ick.

Posts: 4636 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post