Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  OT - Introducing Willie
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OT - Introducing Willie Sign In/Join 
Picture of vera ellen
posted
It hasn't been that long since we lost our beloved pet basset Homer.....a friend told me that when the time was right, perhaps another pet would come into our lives. Well, Willie entered our lives this past Thursday through a round about situation that can only be described as "meant to be". He is a 14 month old male basset, already neutered, but NOT potty trained. OMGoodness, what an ordeal this has been. Homer was house broken when we got him. We don't think Willie had ever been on grass before because at first he acted scared of walking on it..seriously. Anyway, we bought a crate, and potty training has begun and going well. He is already closing that big hole in our hearts that we thought was going to last forever. Homer is gone, but not forgotten...and little Willie is helping us by bringing such joy and amusement to our lives.

This is Wille watching me take garden pictures today.

and here he is again up close

We've already had 3 nice woodland walks....will take the camera one of these days.

ve

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vera ellen,

Posts: 3225 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh Vera, He looks a grand young fella. Best of luck with him.

Posts: 672 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Ahhh he is so handsome! Give him a hug & a kiss from me!

Posts: 10354 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
Handsome guy! He is a lot more colorful than I thought bassets were.

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7394 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He is sure marked beautiful!! He's so shiny!! Enjoy him. He will sure help fill the hole. And I'm sure Homer is happy you have another friend to go on walks with!!

Carlene

Posts: 1395 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSTR (Stop & Smell the Roses)
posted Hide Post
Willie is a handsome dog!! You have me curious. He's not been potty trained AND he isn't used to grass. I'm wondering where he has been.

Posts: 679 | Location: TX Gulf coast, zone 9 | Registered: Mar 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
The lady at the SPCA said she felt he had been in a crate all his life - maybe outside for potty breaks, then back to the crate. He's never been allowed any freedom to run or anything. We didn't have a crate when we first got him because the shelter said they "thought" he was potty trained. Well, what a disaster that was, poop and pee all over the house, even with us taking him outside every 20 minutes. Now, he runs like a madman out in the yard and rolls in the grass....and has learned to go to the door now when he's uncrated in the house. He's a quick learner...we've only had one house accident so far and that was yesterday when I was busy running the vac and probably didn't notice him needing to go out.

ve

Posts: 3225 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
He's a handsome gent, VE, and one of my favorite breeds. Blessings to you for giving him the love he needs.

Posts: 2136 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Barb in Mississippi
posted Hide Post
I love this breed, vera. I love the ears, the bark, you just can't mistake a basset. Ruffle his fur and give him a big hug for me! Out of all the dogs we have rescued, we've never had the opportunity to rescue a basset.

Posts: 3154 | Location: Holly Springs, MS USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
He sure is a looker! And I love how his markings are!
I'll bet he is enjoying the freedom of being on the farm!
Looks like a great match! Big Grin

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4378 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Oh Vera!

He just melts you with those soulful-looking eyes! Enjoy your new gardening buddy and your adventures every day. Thanks for doggy smiles again!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9342 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awe, he's a very lucky fella. We just went through the same thing. Lost a dog, waited for quite awhile and then ran into a friend who runs a rescue group. First came Tank, then a month ago she called with another dire situation. Now we have Tuck. Both Tank and Tuck have filled our home back up. It's a good feeling!

Posts: 29 | Location: N IL | Registered: Feb 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Ohhhhhhhhh ve, that's all so wonderful. Very happy for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7710 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KarenNY1 zone 7
posted Hide Post
He is one beautiful dog. I'm happy that you were able to give him a home. Best of luck with him.

Posts: 164 | Location: Wharton,NJ Zone 7 | Registered: Apr 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Barb, Willie was unexpected...we really weren't ready to adopt yet...but a friend who had a friend who is into animal rescue knew about this dog that had just been brought in, he wasn't even listed yet. She knew how miserable we were and wanted to help. We got the call to come and see him...and well, after seeing him, the rest is history. Now we are raising a puppy and it's quite the challenge. We are all 3 learning together..LOL. Homer was the same age when we adopted him, but we were ten years younger at the time! Sure makes a difference.

Kow, how fortunate for Tank & Tuck to have such good parents. They do have a way of melting your heart don't they.

ve

posted Hide Post
What a good looking guy! So glad that you were able to give him a good home and lots of love. Rescues have issues but with love and care, they can be very rewarding.

Posts: 3050 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wavy
posted Hide Post
Oh Vera, I am sooooo happy for you!!! Willie is beautiful and just the medicine you need right now to make this spring/summer a joyful one and not a sad, lonely one, without your best friend. I am so happy you found each other. Willie will give you many, many more years of long walks and great happiness I am certain. I am so happy you found EACH OTHER! You really need Willie and he needs you, a match made in Heaven!!!
Does Willie resemble Homer in the coloring? He's a real keeper, how lucky you were to find him. Enjoy him and take lots of pics for memories! (& to share with us of course!)

SPRING HAS F I N A L L Y SPRUNG!!!!!

Posts: 453 | Location: "The Garden State" ~ N.J. | Registered: Jul 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
I hope your new little Willie is cheering you up, VE.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
So happy you rescued this beautiful dog from abuse. He is so lucky to have a new home where he will be loved and cared for. Good luck and patience on the potty training. Would love to see more photos! Smile

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7284 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post