Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  I couldn't walk by these bulbs....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I couldn't walk by these bulbs.... Sign In/Join 
Picture of nance425
posted
Was over at Sam's today and got "suckered" in to these. I'm running out of pots. Sure hope the weather warms up FAST!!!
Does anyone know how long it will take for the begonias to show up when I pot them up? (I heard they take awhile.)
My dahlias are starting to poke thru and I potted them up on 3/29 on a south window ledge area.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nance425,

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
It's funny, I almost bought some Dahlias yesterday at Sam's and when I went to get some out of the box display it was empty! Frown

Hopefully they will get more in. I have never grown them or the begonias so hopefully someone here will know.

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I can't get them to grow in my ground here. They just don't seem to do well in our heat. But they might work in a pot that gets some shade during the late afternoon....might try that next year. I've got enough on my plate for this year!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4305 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Z9lady: Sam's told me they "might" get more of these tuber things in. I was looking for Red Flash Caladium since they were on the web site. She said if there is a star on the sign, it means it's a seasonal item and there are no guarantees. She also said to check back by May 15. I didn't have time to ask her why so long a wait...but that comment seemed weird. I would think they would be trying to get rid of them by then.
I ended up getting some Cannas, Red Futurity after I read some good stuff on them. (gosh I'm a sucker for tubers even though I have to lift them in the fall). I will probably plant a LOT less annuals now.
gaKaren - I'll bet you can grow Cannas really well! Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nance425,

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nance, it is May 15th because you should not plant till the end of May. And this year.... Your snow may not be gone, let alone the ground warm enough. SmileSmile

Posts: 6721 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
metwo- don't rub it in. We received about 1" of that disgusting stuff last night. How 'bout you?

That's it. I'm potting them up right now. Smile

My other dahlias are peaking thru. They cant wait either. Smile

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
I have never ever had any luck with tuberous begonias. I've always tried them in pots...and yes, for me they take a long time to germinate. Karen might have it right...our heat. Never thought that might be it. Might just never grew and performed like the pictures..so I quit wasting my money.

ve

Posts: 3172 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
gaKaren - I'll bet you can grow Cannas really well!

Yes, most of them can grow like weeds down here and try to take over areas.
They aren't one of my favorite flowers and since I already have to many to divide every few years...I don't have any. I'd rather have something with less leaves & more flowers.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4305 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post