Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  New bird at our house!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New bird at our house! Sign In/Join 
Picture of ga.karen
posted
DH &I had both been seeing this new bird, so I looked it up the other day. It is a Great Crested Fly Catcher! They are pretty!

http://identify.whatbird.com/o...sted_Flycatcher.aspx

Yesterday as I was planting my little pigeon pea plants...I noticed something plus I was getting told something in no uncertain terms in bird language!!!
We have an old kids swing set frame that DH had put a porch swing on. It sits out among my little lemon trees. He had also brought me 2 of those plastic martin houses a few years ago and I had placed them all over & nothing was ever interested in them. So very early this spring, I wired one to each end of that swing set frame. The fly catcher is building a nest in one of them. Today I watched her for about 15 min. getting nesting materials and putting them in place in there! Big Grin I love it!

And, I think I saw fledgling house finches on the ground this morning begging to be fed. They took over our martin house!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4305 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
lucky you. that is one interesting and beautiful bird. she picked a great garden to do her nesting in. i'm happy for you.

Posts: 3534 | Location: SF Peninsula Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
What a beauty! I want one! What do you think
attracted him?

I spied a new one too (just 5 min from home)
Jvelo told me its a killdeer>> Would like to know more about him too!

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12448 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Oh Karen, I want one of those too...what a beautiful bird. Are they not common birds for you? Obviously not for me here. Our Summer Tangers are back...we've seen them but they are so elusive, no pictures.

Muddy, Killdeer are common here...they are so cute running down the edge of the road or across the pastures. A real skinny person in these heah parts is said to have killdeer legs - LOL...because their legs are long and skinny.

ve

Posts: 3172 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
VE,no, they aren't common here. In fact, even though the maps show us in their breeding range, this is the first time DH has ever seen one around here.
Love the Killdeer Muddy. We used to get them in Illinois in our fields & pastures too. And I had one stop off here for an hour or so a couple of years ago. They are pretty too.

Bana, we have no idea what drew them in...but our next door neighbor has about 10 acres of planted pine trees (a crop) that has several rotten, fallen trees with lots of "critters" living in them. The flycatchers evidently usually nest in a woodpecker type hole...so the gourd was very similar to that hole but still had a clear flight path to it. We are just enjoying watching them!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4305 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Karen.

Love your link. We had one here in South FL a few weeks ago. Seemed like a baby that came to the same spot each morning for a week.

Here are two pics I snapped real quick. He kept knocking into our window while trying to land on the raspberry bush.

Such a fun delight to watch him each morning for a week. Seems to have moved along now.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

pic

Posts: 9316 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Next pic snap

pic

Posts: 9316 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
BR, great pics! Yep, just like the ones here. It seemed like the male was "standing guard" while the female selected & brought different things back for nest making. He would fly to the same general area & sit up high while she did the work!

Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
So pretty!

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12448 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NYlady
posted Hide Post
I have a mama robin sitting on eggs in a nest made between my neighbor's down spout and the side of his house. They should be hatching soon.. It has been wonderful to watch the nest being built. Camera and computer aren't speaking at this time or I'd post a picture.

Posts: 3349 | Location: Staten Island, NY , USA | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Very Pretty! I'm still trying to identify a few birds I see around here. I need to get photos.

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jvelo
posted Hide Post
Cool birdies. I haven't seen them in my area.
I still get excited just by seeing the goldfinches return to their bright colors!

Posts: 3243 | Location: Putnam County, NY z5 | Registered: Jun 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jvelo:
Cool birdies. I haven't seen them in my area.
I still get excited just by seeing the goldfinches return to their bright colors!

I only get the gold finches as they pass through both fall & spring. I wish they would stick around instead of these house finches!

Picture of Luv R Pups
posted Hide Post
Congrats OKaren on your new Great Crested Flycatcher family. What fun to watch them nest nearby. We had some nest near down by the pond when we lived on the acreage, but that is the only ones I've seen.

Muddy and Beau's Rose, nice shots of your bird friends.

I've been seeing at least a pair of Northern Rough-winged Swallows flying around over the lower part of the creek beside us. They are a new bird ID for me this year. I also saw my first couple of Palm Warblers, I assume as they were migrating through, snatching some insects from the weedy section around some stumps out back. I added them both to my life list.

We also have some catbirds around, more than I even remember seeing in one area. I think at least one pair of them is nesting in some of the blackberry brambles across the creek. They drive the dogs crazy calling from over there - the dogs want to find that cat over there! LOL! I even saw a pair of them visit our back patio, even though they usually aren't that out in the open. Wish my camera had been handy then.

Oops, almost forgot my fave addition to the life list for this spring, an Indigo Bunting! Gorgeous! Too far away for a pic even if the camera had been handy but I keep my binoculars near the back door so got a pretty good look at it from inside with those.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Luv R Pups,

Luv R Pups
~ It's our relationships, with God and with each other, that really count in life. ~
~~ Gardening, a healthy addiction! ~~

Posts: 4365 | Location: E Cent. GA, Zone 8 | Registered: Apr 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I had another one the other day. I saw a summer tanager in the woods next door.

And I saw one yesterday that I can't ID & can't find in any of my books.
I still need to look on e-nature to see if it pops up there.