Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Morning Glories-not blooming ???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Morning Glories-not blooming ??? Sign In/Join 
Picture of nance425
posted
Any idea why these Heavenly Blues dont want to bloom? They get plenty of sun. In fact my Crimson Rambler on a pole to the left doesn't get as much sun and it's a-bloomin' in the mornings!!!
I started some HB for my neighbor and his are blooming just fine.

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
That is strange? Any buds...? Just late to bloom?

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12462 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only thing I can think of is overfertlized???? Or maybe overwatered. Or just not ready yet????

Posts: 666 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
quote:
overfertlized???? Or maybe overwatered. Or just not ready yet????

Haven't fertilized them, and kinda forget to water them back there but my nasturtiums are blooming. A few are mixed in with them.

I'm hoping they just aren't ready yet. But geez, the snow's gonna be flyin' soon...they better getta goin! Smile

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
Over the years I have had two different things happen to mine:

Summer was too hot even in the early mornings.

And the second thing is they bloomed before we even got out of bed in the morning!!! I kid you not. lol

Posts: 4771 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
The beetles were attacking some of mine in the HOT spell but looking pretty now. All green & no blooms usually means to much nitrogen...It has been a weird weather summer for sure! Still hoping yours pop!!

Picture of NYlady
posted Hide Post
I have some that re seed themselves each year. not heavenly blue. They grow around the street tree in the soil between the sidewalk and the street. Every dog that passes fertilizes them. I swear they thrive on dog urine. And this time of year they stay open way longer than when it is hot. . Just started blooming a couple of weeks ago.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Staten Island, NY , USA | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
NYlady - well then, I'll give them a week or so more and round up a few dogs before I pull them all out ! Smile

Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
I'm probably in a different zone but fed mine
alfalfa in the Spring & they are thriving in several places for me every morning! Maybe try that next year. Just love them every Fall now for many years! Could be just something missing in the soil...what grew there last year? Could have used up the goodies in the soil?

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Hey muddy - will try the alfalfa next year.
The only thing in those beds last year were the young hydrangeas. The trellising just looked too bare with the small hydrangeas, so I thought Morn Glories would fit the bill. Lots of foliage but no blue flowers that I was looking forward to.
And very few pink flowers from the hydrangeas too. It was a bad winter and spring for us. We had 14" of snow on May 2.
Temps are going to cool down later this week. Maybe they'll decide to do something. Frown

Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
You had a wonderful idea there! You should be seeing a wall of heavenly blue right now! (well maybe still?) This is gardening...sometimes a disappointment & sometimes nature thrills us!

Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
My Morning Glories did not flower either. They had one glorious flower early in the summer. After they were in the sun for a while they would start to wilt. I don't remember them ever doing this before. I planted Morning Glories before, but stopped a couple of yrs. ago due to lousey results! I was hoping for the display Muddy had by her mailbox. Only in my dreams!
Anyway.... I got so tired of seeing them wilting I felt they were really unhappy in the hot sun. I put them in the shade for good in between my shrubs. When the sun would peak through for a short period of time they wilted again. I got so tired of seeing them wilt, that I tossed some compost on the top to cool them off. They never bloomed again. (they weren't blooming for the few weeks before I tossed some compost on them either) In the middle of August I was emptying my compost bin finally, so I just grabbed all the Morning Glories and threw them out. It's nice for me to be ruthless once in a while! I never am! Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Waverider ;),

Posts: 2238 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post