Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Can you divide Spirea?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you divide Spirea? Sign In/Join 
posted
When I bought my house a few years ago I bought me 3 Spirea plants to go in a garden in the front.All 3 has flourished and love how it looks.Its easily now one of my favorites because I love how they are low maintance

Now my question is can I split/seperate Spirea?Can I make my 3 plants into 6, possiblly 9 plants?My 3 plants are very healthy.

Thanks in advance!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: UGA Dawgs,

Posts: 253 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: Jul 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anybody ever make 1 plant into 2 plants and was successful?

Posts: 253 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: Jul 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Loonie
posted Hide Post
Treat your spirea just like you do a monarda; divide the clump by thrusting a sharp spade down into it deciding just how many pieces you wish.
Monarda is split into 3 pieces...usually---the 2 outside pieces are saved, the inner center is thrown away or given away, the two outer pieces are brought together to form a whole new plant that will flower and grow nicely.
The spirea can be cut in the same manner or just slit in two --each piece of the clump is now a new plant.

Better to examine the clump and decide just where to thrust the spade or use a sharp knife--wear good garden gloves.

I believe the best time would be in spring just as other perennials are showing themselves.
Make the hole the size of the clump piece you decided on but a little wider and improve the soil with some compost, water well each of the divisions.
A little bone meal or superphosphate in the bottom of the hole will help generate the roots.

Posts: 458 | Registered: Mar 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
I've never divided the 2 I have as they may never become large enough as I am pushing the zone for both but this site gives some info on dividing various shrubs. You might look at PaPaw’s Method on that link if you have time to wait as the plant would be less stressed.

http://www.todayshomeowner.com...nd-propagate-shrubs/

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12736 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Spirea are pretty hardy in our zone, pretty much weedlike......Loonie had a good idea about the spade, BUT...even a tiny rootlet will normally sprout and make a shrub, it just might take a bit longer. If the shrub is well established, cutting down the center with a spade is going to be tough and you're going to need to weigh 500 lbs to push it through the woody root mass. I'd prefer to dig the entire thing up and hack off the sides.

ve

Posts: 3586 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vera ellen:
Spirea are pretty hardy in our zone, pretty much weedlike......Loonie had a good idea about the spade, BUT...even a tiny rootlet will normally sprout and make a shrub, it just might take a bit longer. If the shrub is well established, cutting down the center with a spade is going to be tough and you're going to need to weigh 500 lbs to push it through the woody root mass. I'd prefer to dig the entire thing up and hack off the sides.

ve

Thanks vera.You think it will be ok to go ahead and do it now for our area?My spirea leaves have feel off it so its gone dormant.

Also once I dig it up wouldnt using a hack saw be much better for dividing it?

posted Hide Post
Amazing what you find on a web search. Yes, you can. No, you can't. Maybe. Maybe not.
Generally, you can. In early spring soak the soil around your shrub really well and then dig that shrub out. With a sharp spade cut the root ball and then replant where you want them.
http://www.garden.org/searchqa...rowing%20hedge&adv=0

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8160 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jvelo
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm. I would have thought root cuttings or air layering only. Mine doesn't seem to be a colony of roots but a single shrub. Hard to tell under there since my "dwarf" Little Princess had gotten quite large!
But I do find seedlings all over the place and have at least 4 growing and have pulled up and tossed or given away others.

Posts: 3269 | Location: Putnam County, NY z5 | Registered: Jun 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Update

I dug my spiera up and took a saw and split each plant right down the middle in late december.I basically made 3 plants into 7.I was so worried that they wouldnt make it.Well they all have produced leaves on them in the last week or 2 and doing great.I gotta admit it was pretty tough splitting them.Its like cutting through a tree.

So it can be done! Smile

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Good for you, Georgia! Sometimes its tough to do what needs to be done to our plants. And you experience will certainly help someone else.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6603 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Glad you were successful! And thank you for passing on the info. Now I know what to do when I get fed up with mine being BIG!
This year mine will get a hair cut, a SHORT haircut!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4856 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another update.

All the transplanted spiera plants turned out perfect and bloomed beautifully and probaly put on a 20 % growth size.At this rate I will have to do this again in 2 more years.Got to sharpen the hand saw lol.In 10 years ill have 50 spriera plants Smile

I also LOVE the fall foliage on the spiera, its gets really bright .Probaly the most underrated plant as I dont see many spiera plants in my area.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: UGA Dawgs,

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
That sounds like hard work UGA. I'm happy it worked for you and thanks for letting us know if can be divided and will grow in this area. I don't see much spirea either in new yards and landscaping. I do notice it at old home sites.

Posts: 2233 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
YaY - I am so happy it worked well........I've done it, so I knew it could be done. Yep, the next time a question like this comes up, you have the knowledge and experience to pass your info along.

I agree, spirea is an underrated shrub. I love it in the springtime, all those white lacy blooms.

Thanks for updating us.

ve

Posts: 3586 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update!
I have 5 of them! Walmart had marked down a bunch of them to $1 one year!
We do have quite a few in my area, but we are probably an older average age area than a more urban area.
And mine DID get a haircut last spring. I cut them back to about 12". They are almost as big as they were when I cut them back!
BTW, I use either a hatchet or a corn knife (can't spell it...machete'?) to cut stuff apart.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4856 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post