Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Blooming here now
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blooming here now Sign In/Join 
Picture of nettiejay
posted
My lilacs are starting. I just LOVE flowers with strong fragrance.

Posts: 4513 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love lilacs. Mine aren't ready yet. Only thing blooming at present is forsythia, virginia bluebells, primrose and bulbs.

Posts: 886 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Oh, I'm jealous! I want to smell it! I love lilacs and can't grow most of them down here.
But I just got one I'm going to try that is "supposed" to grow in my zone.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4836 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Beautiful picture! I can almost smell them!

Posts: 10422 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
How beautiful.......mine has been blooming for a couple of weeks now...I hate to see them go. A few stems on the counter will perfume the entire kitchen. Love 'em.

ve

Posts: 3569 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OH what a pretty pic and I can smell them too. They are blooming in our area to. I don't have one YET!! Sure want one tho.

Carlene

Posts: 1623 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
I'm loving your picture.

Posts: 4904 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4_seasons
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! I can almost smell them. Mine are just beginning to show signs of life. I'm afraid there will be a lot of branches that are dead. It was a hard winter.

Posts: 155 | Location: Illinois 5a | Registered: Mar 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
Wonderful. I love plants with scents.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
I don't know that I have seen ANY lilacs around here...I'd have one if I had seen them for sale. Very pretty!

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7511 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
KG, the range is zones 3 to 7. They need a cold period in order to bloom.
You shouldn't feel deprived, though. To be honest, the shrub is unremarkably attractive when it's not in bloom. And there are so many things you southern/western girls can grow that I can't!

One of the other things (besides heavenly fragrance) that makes me happy about my shrub is that it was started from sprouts off a favorite late aunt's established plant. Of course, I can't help but remember her each spring at lilac time.

Posts: 4513 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
So beautiful Nettie!

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12891 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KG in CA:
I don't know that I have seen ANY lilacs around here...I'd have one if I had seen them for sale. Very pretty!

KG, there are some in a few catalogs that "claim" to be able to grow down into zone 8b...I have one in a pot right now...we shall see! I've tried others that didn't make it through out heat down here.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4836 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post