Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  before and after!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

before and after! Sign In/Join 
posted
I can't believe how fast this bed has grown since I planted it July29!!The only bed and color I have this yr. but sure am enjoy watching it!!
after in in next post! Thanks for looking.

Carlene

Posts: 1742 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
after. I love how fast things grow here. Except of course the darned weeds!!
Nothing to brag about like you folks have but going to work on it!
This bed is 14' deep and 30'. long :O There will be a lot more and different stuff in it next yr.
The purple one is blooming!! Yeah!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: silly bird,

Carlene

Posts: 1742 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's some difference. Bet the weeds really grow fast too!Smile

Posts: 3226 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Wonderful...so pretty.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7849 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Will the sweet potato vines winter over there? We see your having fun birdie!

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 13098 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Yay, I knew you'd find a way to have a garden!!! It looks gorgeous! Good job.

ve

Posts: 3658 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
That is just beautiful! So much color, the area filled in nicely.

I'm waiting for the cool weather to come before I start working outside. Smile

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7529 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
beautiful carlene. i like the shape of the bed as well as the color in it. you must be so pleased.. and deservedly so.

Posts: 3884 | Location: Northern CA Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So pretty.

Posts: 15330 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
OMGosh I can't believe it filled in that fast! Looks wonderful! I love the shape of the bed.

Posts: 10425 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No Muddy the SPV will not over winter. I will take lots of cuttings and have them ready for next yr. The Lantana will over winter from what I'm told. Just needs a good mulching.
thanks VE.
zone9lady it's not been very cool here to work outside either. I'm out mostly in the early morning!
Bana what a nice thing to say! thank you
thanks owie!
Thanks patty louise.The bed was here I just filled it. You have a pm!

Carlene

Picture of Barb in Mississippi
posted Hide Post
It does look GOOD, Carlene.
What do you have planed for next year?

Posts: 3229 | Location: Holly Springs, MS USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSTR (Stop & Smell the Roses)
posted Hide Post
Great to be able to enjoy your hard work. Looking goothe Birdie - What are the other plants. I like that color of lantana.

Posts: 679 | Location: TX Gulf coast, zone 9 | Registered: Mar 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
Looks very good! Wow, it grew a lot in a little over a month! What is that red plant in the front (looks like a Coleus sort of, but I don't think it is) in first photo. I love that paving stone border and it's a nice large size. Have fun!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Waverider ;),

Posts: 2521 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
SB I didn't get a PM.....did you get your package?

Posts: 10425 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pattie Yes I got the package THANK YOU!!! Now we will see if I can get them to grow!! I sent you an email yesterday.
Yes waveie it is a coleus! I love the color and glad it grew!!
The lime green is Sweet Potato vine and so is the purple and the purple is blooming!!!
One more view. I love how the moss rose has grown too. Thanks for looking

This message has been edited. Last edited by: silly bird,

Carlene

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
SB, you can also dig up the "taters" from your vine & save them to replant next year. Or you can suspend them in a glass of water (with toothpicks) and they will grow more vines over the winter and then give you a head start for spring.

Your bed looks really good! Glad you got some color going on!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4994 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, you must have a green thumb! Looks great!

Posts: 676 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks gaKaren. I didn't know you got
"taters" from them? I never did in Colo. I just pulled the vines up and put in the compost I'll have to watch! I'll take cutting but now maybe taters too.
bet thanks not green thumb just lots of fun work!!

Carlene

Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
WOW!!!
Beautiful.

Posts: 4977 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have tried to overwinter the 'taters' but all they did was wither up, I planted them in the spring but they did not sprout.

silly bird,when you got your sweet potato vines there was a 'tater' in the pot, that is where the vines come from.Where on the vine do you cut to grow a new plant? and do you put in to root in water or potting soil?

Wanda

Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks joy
gmvj I just take a cutting from the top of the vine. I took several cuttings at different places.I also took some of the really big part of it but it didn't root as well. The stem in some places were 2" across. I couldn't believe how big they got! I've used both methods water and soil and had luck with both. They root real easy and they grow a lot. the ones I had in water I had to keep cutting back the roots (I was to lazy to pot them up in the winter!)but they survived and grew big in the flower bed in Colo!
If there was a "tater" in the pot I didn't see it. I did break up the roots some before I planted them. Guess I need to pay more attention!
they ones I start in water sure don't have any taters on them and they did just fine.
Good luck with yours and post pics next yr!!

Carlene