Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  ANOTHER UPDATE -- Caring for this Palm through the Winter (UPDATE W/ A QUESTION??)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ANOTHER UPDATE -- Caring for this Palm through the Winter (UPDATE W/ A QUESTION??) Sign In/Join 
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted
We have had a few cool nights (30's and some frost) and the fronds on my palm are yellowing. Should I cut it back or leave it be? I am planning to lay some pinestraw around the roots and watch the weather forecast for future frost warnings.

ETA....adding the picture.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Georgia Peach,

Posts: 2136 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
How have you protected it in the past?
I don't know exactly what kind of palm it is, but you could wrap burlap around it. That should help.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mgt,

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7714 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
I received it for Mother's Day so this is my first winter protecting it. I have burlap so I'll use that. Thank you.

Posts: 2136 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I would put pine straw about a foot thick around it. I'd go out at least 2' all the way around.
Not sure what your bug situation is up there but down here putting the burlap around the tree itself just might draw in lots of unwanted little critters...maybe even some mice who would chew on it too.
When we have a freeze and the palms turn down here, I think everyone waits until spring to trim them back. Other wise, you would have a new wound that could freeze the plant down further. I always wait to trim my sago palm when it gets nipped.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4392 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Remember that this is a tree, not a shrub. Its just small now. Protect it as best you can and then in the spring trim up.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6234 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Burlap attracts mice? Eek

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12488 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Toots
posted Hide Post
do you know its name?... to me, it looks like Majesty palm and that's a tender tropical and will not survive outside anywhere colder than zone 9.... less than 45 degrees and it's hurt.... if you think that's its name, it needs to come inside or you'll lose it if you're in the wrong zone....

http://www.google.com/imgres?q...0,i:169&tx=61&ty=107

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&s...945&biw=1350&bih=581

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Toots,

"Gardening Keeps Me Growing!"

Posts: 26871 | Location: Near Charlotte, NC, zone 7 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Ooooo, Toots is right. If it's a Majesty palm, it won't survive outdoors.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7714 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of amaryllis6
posted Hide Post
I agree

Posts: 1358 | Location: coast of Louisiana zone 9 | Registered: Mar 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
I believe it is a Majestic palm. Gosh, I should have never planted it in the yard! Where's the shovel? Roll Eyes

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muddyshoes:
Burlap attracts mice? Eek

Muddy, we don't get as cold down here as you and we aren't cold as long as you are...yes, down here mice will get into burlap wrapped plants to over winter. I don't think you have that problem up there.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4392 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ga.karen:
...down here mice will get into burlap wrapped plants to over winter. I don't think you have that problem up there.

Even here in the north mice can be a problem. They actually make tunnels under the snow and run around looking for food such as plant stems and roots. I know they go to my roses as the dog often sniffs out that area. Haven't noticed damage from them tho but I'm no longer winterizing my roses partly because I don't want to encourage the mice but mostly because there's a 'tough love' policy now in effect in my garden!

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12611 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
This palm doesn't look like this picture now. The fronds (?sp) are brown but there is green at the roots. I've got pinestraw about a 2' all around it and thick. After looking back through the original post FFG may have answered my question. Should I trim the brown back or leave it until spring?

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Leave it until spring. It's hard sometimes to leave things alone but for the health of the plant you can't trim too early.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6234 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
I agree. It's not pretty, but I'd leave on the brown stuff for added protection & prune it off in the spring.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Thank you. It is rather sad looking but I'm going to leave it. Hopefully it will live. I'm also not cutting back my lantana. I believe this may be the reason some of my plants have died in the past.

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
I took this picture this morning. My palm made it through it's first winter and did come back out. Not very big but hopefully it will survive a second winter and grow larger next year. Just want to thank everyone for the advice that I was given. I don't know if I'd still have it if it wasn't for all of you!

Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
So glad you got the help you needed. Follow the same advice & it'll come back again. Good for you. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgia Peach:
I took this picture this morning. My palm made it through it's first winter and did come back out. Not very big but hopefully it will survive a second winter and grow larger next year. Just want to thank everyone for the advice that I was given. I don't know if I'd still have it if it wasn't for all of you!

I'm so glad it made it through the winter for you! I agree w/mgt....do the same thing again this winter. If you keep it alive for several years, it just might adjust itself and really take off and survive our climates just fine. Ya never know until you try!