Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anise Hyssop? Sign In/Join 
Picture of nettiejay
posted
Has anyone grown it?
I'm considering it for a particular spot, but since it's in the mint family, I wonder if it'll be more aggressive than desirable. None of the many articles I'm reading say it's a problem, but articles don't always tell the whole truth.

Posts: 4341 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
nettie, I love anise hyssop. great insect plant. I grow it mainly for the bees. Here in NH I have to plant it frequently as it peters out on me. Not aggresive for 5b in southern NH. Am going to look for some seeds and wintersow it this year as I want more also.

Posts: 656 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much, J.
I like the idea of the bees' attraction to it. These articles say it's butterfly and hummer friendly, too. Hope so!
I just wanted confirmation that it wouldn't overtake the entire yard. Thanks again.

Posts: 4341 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post