Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Why I detest squirrels
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why I detest squirrels Sign In/Join 
Picture of NYlady
posted
They destroy everything I have to work so hard to achieve. I suppose I'll just go cut down the rest of my sunflowers now.. save me the trouble of cleaning them up.. Have a neighbor who feeds them and calls them her babies and just doesn't care about other's gardens. They have wreaked havoc on my garden for years.. I can't do it anymore.

Posts: 3498 | Location: Staten Island, NY , USA | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
YES!!!! Same thing has happened to me. Every single time I grew Sunflowers they were destroyed and mutilated in one fell stroke by a hungry skwirl ~ (even pantyhose didn't work after a while). This is precisely the reason why I only wanted to buy BRANCHING SUNFLOWERS for now on!!! This way if they took one sunflower, (after waiting mos. for it to finally flower) maybe I would have several more still left to grow and flower.... Mine aren't doing that well, but I still have hope.....

Posts: 2549 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't know if it was squirrels or chipmunks....but I planted a great pot of annual sweet peas. They sprouted and were growing just great. Checked them every day. Saw them in the a.m. went out in p.m. and the whole pot had been dug up. Half the dirt gone and not a sight of green anywhere....just gone! Not the first time either, so I truly sympathize. Can't plant sunflowers either...

Posts: 952 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
how devastating for you. i am so so sorry to hear this.

Posts: 3905 | Location: Northern CA Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
That's why I stopped planting them. A few come up & are always knocked over. Choose other plants is the best advice...You can be sure this will happen!

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 13165 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
We had a neighbor who tried to feed the birds, but the squirrels terrorized the bird feeder.

Sorry to hear about your planting losses. We have numerous maple trees popping out of our yards because the squirrels keep planting them. I planted some annuals in a pot. The squirrels kept digging them up to put in more maple seeds. I finally put a twig fence around the outside of the pot to keep them out of it. It worked long enough for the flowers to take root.

Posts: 5238 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have enough sun or room to plant sunflowers, I guess that I never thought about what the squirrels would do to them if I did plant them. sorry that you have so many problems with them.

My squirrels can't get to my bird feeders because I have large baffles on the poles. However, they have their own feeders. They don't disturb my numerous containers. My maple trees have millions of those twirly things in the spring that literally fall everywhere and don't need to be planted. I am constantly pulling out tiny and sometimes not so tiny maple trees.

I guess I don't worry about the squirrels because it's the grackles and starlings that cause me lots more problems--they eat up everything that I put out for the birds.

Posts: 3275 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
We don't have a problem with the squirrels close to the house. DH has them trained...if he sees one he just hollers that he is going after his gun and they scoot off!
Plus with 6 cats...they keep them away from the areas they roam.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5124 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
Such a sad situation.

Posts: 5025 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NY Lady, do any of the sprays for deer and wildlife deter squirrels? I would try that before I cut down the other flowers.

Posts: 3275 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sunflower seeds are some of their favorite foods! As they climb the stock to get to the head it breaks. Sunflower farmers assume they will use a percentage of their yield to wildlife (also birds). As growers we must assume the same thing.

So sorry but if you don't like squirrels you are better off not growing them. Sunflowers I mean, not squirrels.

Posts: 7291 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KarenNY1 zone 7
posted Hide Post
When I lived on LI, I used to plant Tulips,Crocus, Daffs,etc. After putting in the bulbs, I would sprinkle Caynenne pepper on the bulbs which seemed to deter the squirrels. Maybe you can do the same for the Sunflower heads or seeds.

Posts: 185 | Location: Wharton,NJ Zone 7 | Registered: Apr 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NYlady
posted Hide Post
The Staten Island squirrels aren't repelled by hot pepper flakes, powder, fresh chopped up habaneros. tough guys

Posts: 3498 | Location: Staten Island, NY , USA | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Miss mo
posted Hide Post
Man O Man, have I been there, Squirrels, chipmunks, they have destroyed alot in my garden, My neighbors can grow sunflowers, but if its my yard, they even break the large ones, also...NO RED Tulips...they wait till the day they open, and they pop off the bloom. Rats with Fur!

Posts: 280 | Registered: Mar 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They use to wait until my crocus would bloom and eat the bloom right off them. Evil little devils.

Posts: 15330 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NYlady
posted Hide Post
After wreaking havoc with my sunflowers, they've switched their attention to my tomatoes. Yesterday the neighbors were treated to the sight of a crazy lady chasing a squirrel with a broom. I guess I'll have to put the netting up.

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
My young neighbors were banging on their windows and hollering at the squirrels gnawing at their kids' swing set/climbing toy in the backyard. It doesn't have to be alive for them to gnaw. We have holes being dug up in our soil to plant "their" treasures. They're planting earlier this year, does this mean early winter? Or, terrorizing rodents?

Posts: 5238 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am so glad I read this post. I was thinking of planting sunflowers right out my sewing room window next year. I think not!!lol

Posts: 15330 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trish212:
My young neighbors were banging on their windows and hollering at the squirrels gnawing at their kids' swing set/climbing toy in the backyard. It doesn't have to be alive for them to gnaw. We have holes being dug up in our soil to plant "their" treasures. They're planting earlier this year, does this mean early winter? Or, terrorizing rodents?

Early winter!!! And if they dig a LOT, maybe another HARD winter too! They are supposed to tell how bad the winter will be also from how high in the trees they build their winter nests...but I don't remember how that works.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5124 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NYlady
posted Hide Post
Mine have been digging since spring, before the sunflowers were up for them to steal. My "wonderful" neighbor feeds them peanuts. They dont eat them, they bury them. My planters are all covered in lovely chicken wire to at least give the seeds half a chance. They haven't chewed thru that yet.

Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Sorry~~~It is so distressing! I stopped with the sunflower seeds & went down from about ten squirrels in the yard to an occasional drifter! LOL Somehow I still got sunflowers coming up & so happy with them but lo & behold ~~~ the squirrel passing by must have noticed...one was already all in crumbs on my patio! Here enjoy mine for now! :>)
Don't know what to tell you~~ I still like them but they do sell squirrel repellent in the nurseries.

Picture of jvelo
posted Hide Post
Squirrels hog my birdfeeder as well as the suet.
I use the red pepper suet sometimes but it is more expensive than the regular kind.

I bang on the window, yell, whatever....calling them my "Fat Boys" or "Fat pieces of ----!"
They just run down the tree or trellis and wait until I leave.
And of course when they jump down, they can ruin whatever they land on.
WAY too big to climb that little sunflower :-(

Posts: 3284 | Location: Putnam County, NY z5 | Registered: Jun 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NYlady
posted Hide Post
Glad I'm not alone.. My neighbor up the street has some trying to get into his attic. We loaned him the squirrel trap.. He has relocated two so far.. Far far away.. that's two less in the neighborhood. When he catches the one thats trying to get in he'll seal the opening. Doesn't want it trapped inside

Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Wow, what draws them to your area?