Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

cannas Sign In/Join 
posted
What do you do? I was give some with the leaves still attached. Do I plant them now,if so how. Or over winter them somehow in shed,garage?? I have no clue.
Boy folks are so nice here!! I never expected her to call me and tell me she had dug some for me. Love it here!!
I'm taking her some HBV seeds!
Sorry I get carried away!!
Thanks

Carlene

Posts: 1742 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Barb in Mississippi
posted Hide Post
what zone are you, Carlene? I looked up the major cities of OK and they are the same zone as I am[7a].

If you are the same zone as me, you can plant those cana's now. make sure you bury the the roots completely, not like an iris. they will die down during the winter, but will be back with a vengence in the spring.

Posts: 3231 | Location: Holly Springs, MS USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSTR (Stop & Smell the Roses)
posted Hide Post
I would gather fallen leaves and mulch them good with the leaves also. Mine have overwintered in the ground up in SE corner of Kansas for last couple years.

Posts: 679 | Location: TX Gulf coast, zone 9 | Registered: Mar 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
zone 6b. We're close to SE KS. line

Carlene

Posts: 1742 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
We are in Texas' zone 7 and I planted mine in the fall. They return each spring/summer. I also leave them in the ground during the winter.

Posts: 4978 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post