Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Inside tree w dutch elm disease
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inside tree w dutch elm disease Sign In/Join 
Picture of nance425
posted
Was doing some reading and saw this pic of a tree with dutch elm disease that had to be cut down. So sad...darn disease and darn beetles.

- pulling back the bark and cleaning the crud off the trees, you can see the beetle trails!

Posts: 4604 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
I hate that....Elm trees are beautiful and make great shade.

ve

Posts: 3658 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Eww! Interesting tho! Sad!

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 13102 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
there was lots of that in the Denver area. Also pine beetles kills lots of trees in the forests. So sad

Carlene

Posts: 1742 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by silly bird:
there was lots of that in the Denver area. Also pine beetles kills lots of trees in the forests. So sad

A friend of ours told us about that after visiting CO a coupla years ago. What's with these beetles anyway?

Posts: 4604 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
The pine beetles are an issue in CO. Large areas of beetle kill creates dry timber for future fires.
Check site below for a complete description of what happens with the beetle larva and the fungi they carry with them that infects the trees. 30 below winter temps for 5 days in a row is a great control btw.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05528.html

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the photos. I've always wondered what it looks like inside a diseased tree.

Posts: 4978 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Hey conrad, want us to send ya some of that 30 below winter temps for 5 days??? Smile

Joy37, glad to be of service. Smile

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
SURE! If it kills off the pine bark larva!
I really do LOVE Winter! Wink

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was surprised to read that -30 temp. will kill pine bark beetle as they are a problem in northern MN and it is always at least that cold here. So I did some reading. CO has the mountain pine bark beetle that can not stand the cold. There is also an eastern pine bark beetle which can tolerate the cold.

And that is probably more than you want to know about the pine bark beetle. Smile

Posts: 7215 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Did not know that about the different beetles.

I did read where the severe cold does not have to be as extreme, nor last as long, if it is in the fall or early spring. The beetle/larva either don't have enough glycol in their system yet or have come out of "hibernation" and start feeding early and are more susceptible to freezing under the bark.

They also carry a fungus deep into the tree (while boring) that also is detrimental to the life of the tree. The blue wood color of the beetle kill pine used to cause the lumber to cost more. Now it tends to be more the norm than a rarity.

posted Hide Post
From what I read the DNR recommends a sacrificial tree. Cut one down near the infestation and in the spring they all attack the downed tree first and lay their eggs. Then the tree is destroyed before they hatch. Thought that was interesting.

Forgot to add, I read the mountain pine bark battle is moving eastward but so far the range of the eastern and the mountain are still separate.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: metwo,

Posts: 7215 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Wow, we've learned so much since I posted those pics!!!

Metro, so does that mean the mountain pine beetle becomes the "eastern pine beetle " when it moves East? Smile