Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Asian Lady Bugs.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Asian Lady Bugs. Sign In/Join 
Picture of Barb in Mississippi
posted
Anybody else have those things? Someone mentioned them the other day on here and I thought, "Oh, great, I missed them or vice versa." Today, they showed up. It's just a start and there are only a few, but I know from experience, there will be hordes and hordes of the little monsters, very soon!

Posts: 3190 | Location: Holly Springs, MS USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
They're everywhere! They're everywhere! Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7791 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Hordes, Swarms, whatever you want to call them......they are here!! We got some stuff at the co-op for spraying the outside of the house, doors and windows and I bought some Flying Insect Spray for the inside. It sure helped. They've even made our local news...really bad this year!

ve

Posts: 3495 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
And ya'al aren't the only ones. On another board they are complaining about them too...up in Muddy's area and another gal I think is in upper NY.

Haven't had any here, but we just got invaded by some teeny tiny skeeters! They are just a tiny bit bigger than a gnat and the are QUICK and they bite like HE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4751 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
They swarmed my DH on the golf course & see many by my apple tree.

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12771 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
karen, those are probably the field mosquitos...they're tiny & nasty. We get 'em here every few years. Little beasties, they are.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7791 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I've had those beetles really bad in the past, but have seen just a few this year. I guess they'll show up pretty soon, as bad as they're being reported.
This year there are a lot more box elder bugs than ever before.
It's always sumthin'. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4475 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Asian Lady Beetles have been out in your garden all summer helping, along with the many other Lady Beetle species, control your insect pests. Most people are just now noticing them because they are seeking a winter shelter.
They have not suddenly appeared from nowhere.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
i can't begin to imagine an infestation inside your home. i'm sorry to hear so many of you are having this problem. i read if you vacuum them up inside the house, be sure to stuff the hose with paper towel or they will come right back out. think i would put the paper towel over the end and rubber band it on tight so there'd be no little tunnel in scrunched up paper for them to escape.

Posts: 3749 | Location: SF Peninsula Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Like many species imported from Asia and elsewhere, these pests are not our friends. This from Wikipedia: This species is widely considered to be one of the world’s most invasive insects,[5][6] partly due to their tendency to overwinter indoors and the unpleasant odor and stain left by their bodily fluid when frightened or squashed, as well as their tendency to bite humans.[5] In Europe it is currently increasing to the detriment of indigenous species,[5] its voracious appetite enabling it to outcompete and even eat other ladybirds [lady beetles].[5] The harlequin ladybird is also highly resistant to diseases that affect other ladybird species and carries microsporidian parasite to which it is immune but that can infect and kill other species.[6] Native ladybird species have experienced often dramatic declines in abundance in areas invaded by H. axyridis.[7]

In addition to its household pest status[citation needed], it has been reported to be a minor agricultural pest contaminating crops of tender fruits and grapes[8] in Iowa, Ohio, New York State, and Ontario.[9] The contamination of grapes by this beetle has been found to alter the taste of wine.[10]

Posts: 4475 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd not use Wikipedia to cite much of anything since the information there is most unreliable.
The Asian Lady Beetle is considered a beneficial insect by most all knowledgeable people even though during the winter many people consider her a pest because they are in the houses.
http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/br/lbeetle/

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
All I know is that they are pests when they swarm into your house, stain your walls and ceilings with their secretions, even when left alone. I don't mind them outdoors, but are definitely not welcome inside. They do bite too...and I don't think the natives bite.

ve

Posts: 3495 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Loonie
posted Hide Post
I really didn't bother about either of the species....Asian or the common Lady Beetle but a recent story on the former is that they are NOT our friends....in fact, they bite. And, when squished, they emit a terrible smell.
You can identify the differences by the color of their shell--brownish, instead of reddish...and both have spots.
I've seen a number of Lady Beetles, sometimes on the curtains, throughout the season but recently, in the last two weeks, we encountered hundreds of them crawling on our deck by the lake. I did consider collecting a few and taking them to my shrubs but decided they can find their way without me.
Then, I read the story and went out and re-examined them.
Yup, definitely the Asian type.

Posts: 458 | Registered: Mar 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
When imported non-natives suppress our beneficial native species, "knowledgeable" people understand that's never a good thing.
Even your source acknowledges what a plague those nasty creatures are, or else it wouldn't offer suggestions how to combat them. And of course, it has lots of good things to say, since the USDA is the entity responsible for repeating its vile practice of importing non-natives.

Consider all the non-natives besides Asian beetles that are destructive forces or even just pests in our environment - starlings, Asian carp, kudzu, zebra mussels, water hyacinth, Gypsy moths, to name a few. Since very little in nature is either all good or all bad, you can try taking a stand in favor of any or all of these, but few "knowledgeable" people will stand there with you.

Some people just like arguing for the sake of arguing. Roll Eyes

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KimmSr:
I'd not use Wikipedia to cite much of anything since the information there is most unreliable.
The Asian Lady Beetle is considered a beneficial insect by most all knowledgeable people even though during the winter many people consider her a pest because they are in the houses.
http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/br/lbeetle/

I would trust Wikipedia before I would trust the USDA!!!
The USDA is owned by the chemical companies! And as NettieJay pointed out, they are responsible for many invasive species!

Asian Lady Beetles are NOT our friends!!!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4751 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thebrownthumb
posted Hide Post
Hate these darn things!!!! Between those and stink bugs, we are inundated.

There are no gardening mistakes, only experiments. Janet Kilburn Phillips

Posts: 4425 | Location: Central PA | Registered: Sep 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've got a zillion of them here too. They are quite expert at finding tiny entrances into the house. Frown

---------------------------------------------

Posts: 249 | Location: Nashville Music City USA | Registered: Dec 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
quote:

Some people just like arguing for the sake of arguing. Roll Eyes

Noticed that too...Wink

Posts: 9593 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
It has been 70° for the past two days.......simply gorgeous...which also means the little varmits are swarming again. I was hoping we were done with them after the spraying...alas not. I've already vacuumed the SE windows, walls and doors twice...they are crawling out of the woodwork again..AAAAAAAAAAAGH.

That will end tonight......our weather is about to change back to wintertime starting tomorrow. I hope they all freeze todeath! Big Grin

ve

posted Hide Post
I'm with you, vera ellen! 'VARMITS', is too nice a word for those things. i went out to feed the chickens a little while ago and those things are even in the feed barrel.

Our low tonight is supposed to be in the low 30's, but tomorrow night it's supposed to be 26. I hope it gets all the fleas, ticks, fire ants and all the other nasty little varmints.

Posts: 3190 | Location: Holly Springs, MS USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
I hear ya Barb......wishing the same thing here! Our low tonight is supposed to be 26 - with a whopping high of 48 tomorrow morning with temps dropping all day - brisk north winds and some rain. Actually we could use the rain...I don't do wind very well though.

ve

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
None of those critters here, thank goodness. But I've got enough problems with fire ants. I think I've powdered at least 50 hills this week! Roll Eyes Down here they will go deep during the cold nights and bring the eggs back to the top when the sun comes out...that's when I go hunting. Scrape off the top to expose the eggs and powder away!
I'll agree with the ticks too. They have been worse this year than normal! Fleas are just a fact of life down here, pretty much year round...just like termites!

We are supposed to be down to 31º Wed. morning! But they keep changing the forecast...so we will get what we get!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ga.karen,

posted Hide Post
There is a light side to the Asian Lady Bugs! They are swarming again and the chickens are having a field day. I wish you could see these plump chickens jumping up to catch a lady bug! IT IS HILARIOUS!

Picture of SSTR (Stop & Smell the Roses)
posted Hide Post
Barb, what a funny picture that must be. Lol

Posts: 679 | Location: TX Gulf coast, zone 9 | Registered: Mar 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Very funny visual! Big Grin

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Seeing them for the first time today.

Posts: 2200 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgia Peach:
Seeing them for the first time today.

Peach, you keep them on YOUR side of the state! Don't send them over here!!! ((sticking tongue out)) Big Grin

Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
I saw a cute lil Lady Bug (are those the ones that are orange with black dots on them?) on my bedroom window SCREEN yesterday. I haven't seen one in ages and only saw a few all summer long. They are not a nuisance here at all. I hardly ever see them. I know they are 'beneficial insects', so I would like to have more of them around!' I would plant what flowers they like, but I don't know what they are. They like Aphids, and I don't want to encourage them however....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Waverider ;),

Posts: 2360 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
We've been going in & out lately getting ready for this approaching storm & I saw one flying around my kitchen light this morning!

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
I haven't noticed them today but it's been overcast. These aren't the orange shelled ones. These are brown shelled. Are these the Asian Lady Bugs? My DIL lives about 1/2 mile from me and she said there were gazillions at her house! However, she's not too outdoorsy so a gazillion could be maybe a dozen? Wink

Posts: 2200 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a feeling that the shell can be orange or brown, cause I have had some brown shelled ones, too. I really thought that the freezing temps would kill them off and was really surprised to still see them two days after the freeze. I was out the next day, feeding the chickens, when one bit me. I don't care how beneficial ANYTHING is, if it bites me, it's gone.

Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
LOL