Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do they... Sign In/Join 
Picture of shook29
posted
plant these? 9 plants in one pot? Do they plant them all at the same time and how do they not get root bound? As hard as I try, my planters never turn out like that. What's the secret?

ETA pic...oops!

Posts: 862 | Location: PA zone 6 | Registered: Mar 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
I have no idea how they did that. No, my pots never look like that either. I feel good if I can get 2 things to grow in one pot.

Posts: 10354 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You plant them when they are small and it's a large container. The cannas will have height when they are new but not much width. The sweet potato vines and sage are usually in 4 inch pots, etc. You can get good ideas at the Proven Winner website. Look at the "recipes" section and they will show the finished product and then a planting diagram. The picture is the pot at its peak bloom time. Also, you must feed the plants a lot to get them to look good. I use a slow release fertilizer, Osmacote in mine to keep the flowers going. They are also kept very well watered.

Posts: 3051 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also wondered the same thing because elephant ear bulbs are huge. Thanks for asking

Happily married and mom of 4
Central maryland - Zone 7

Posts: 7650 | Location: Maryland, USA | Registered: Jun 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Start with small plants then lots of feeding and watering! Plus they only look that good for a few months then you start over.

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7285 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jvelo
posted Hide Post
I think they look nice but I'm sure are rootbound (the cannas alone multiply like crazy) very early in the season.
These are fine if you're going for instant color (say if you have an event planned the next day or week), but I prefer to give the plants room to grow, and save some money too.

And water/fertilize less often. Rootbound plants need LOTS of watering if they get a decent amount of sunshine.

Posts: 3243 | Location: Putnam County, NY z5 | Registered: Jun 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wavy
posted Hide Post
I'm just curious, where was this photo taken? Was it an actual photo from someone's house? OR... was it a picture in a magazine? Was it a display feature in Good Housekeeping Magazine? (like an 'after' shot) If it's taken in a magazine, I would be skepical. My DD does Photo retouching and wants that as a career. She has Photoshop computer programs, etc. I would only believe it wasn't 'retouched' if it was actually photographed from a real person's house, and not from a book or magazine. Otherwise, I would be a little suspicious how you could get every single individual flower SO PERFECT, ya know? If I tried that, I would have maybe 2 beauties, and the others possibly not blooming, or past their bloom times, or just plain ugly-looking.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Wavy,

SPRING HAS F I N A L L Y SPRUNG!!!!!

Posts: 453 | Location: "The Garden State" ~ N.J. | Registered: Jul 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post