Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  What annual is the "best bang for your buck?"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What annual is the "best bang for your buck?" Sign In/Join 
Picture of nance425
posted
I'd like to fill in a lot of spaces in full sun. What's your favorite annual to do that on a limited budget to get some color?

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whatever is cheapest at Lowes, Home Depot or Walmart....petunias, marigold, verbena, geranium...

Posts: 666 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Nothing beats petunias for a major splash of
outstanding color IMHO

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12461 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
I agree with muddyshoes that petunias are great for filling spaces and a major splash of color. The regular old fashioned ones spread a bit but the Wave petunias are really good for filling large spaces. Read the labels as there are now several different kinds. Here's the Wave family: http://www.wave-rave.com/WaveFamily/

Waves cost a bit more but are worth it and don't need deadheading. They come in so many different colors and color combos it's amazing.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12604 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
I say the purple Verbena is the hardiest and may come back for you next year.Wave petunias are too and have more colors.So many to chose or add one of each.Wink

Posts: 2994 | Location: Liberty, S.C. | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
What type of Verbena? I doubt a return in Minnesota?

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12461 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Muddy, there is a hardy or perennial verbena...still not sure how hardy it would be in Minnesota, or even Ohio. You could check the label.

Best amount of color on the cheap to me is seeds...depending on height, anything from dwarf zinnas & marigolds to the big versions, along with cleome and celosia.

ve

Posts: 3199 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
VE, can I just throw down zinnia seeds now? How long before they flower? any maintenance with seeding them?

BTW; some of the spots are covered in light mulch. I guess I would have to remove that before seeding???

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nance425,

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wavy
posted Hide Post
That was a good question!
I planted lots of Zinnias this year (winter sowing, they did great) and I LOVE Petunias!!! They're so pretty and easy and multiply like crazy. I love deadheading them too! I am going to look for Wave seed packets in Lowes. I love the 2-colored Waves the best of all! I love planting Petunia seeds (start them early indoors or outdoors )Nothing will bloom here until June at least.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Wavy,

SPRING HAS F I N A L L Y SPRUNG!!!!!

Posts: 453 | Location: "The Garden State" ~ N.J. | Registered: Jul 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Wavy - how long til Wave petunias seeds grow up to be flowers?

I think I might try the zinnias. They are so pretty. At least the pastel ones! Smile (not an orange and yellow fan usually)

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nance425:
VE, can I just throw down zinnia seeds now? How long before they flower? any maintenance with seeding them?

BTW; some of the spots are covered in light mulch. I guess I would have to remove that before seeding???

I'm not VE, but I just scratch a line thru the mulch & press some zinnia seeds in the little trench & recover with the mulch. As long as they are touching the soil, they come up for me.
And to get volunteers next year...crumble some of your seed heads this year when they dry up...in the areas you want them to come up. Not sure if that will work in your COLD north but it did in central Ill. and down here for me.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4349 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
I don't know how they do in Minnesota but I love dianthus--the ones that come in the little six packs. They are evergreen here and in spring they start blooming. I deadhead them when the blooms fade and then they will rebloom and the nice thing is you only have to buy them once.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
Homestead verbena is the perennial and come in a pinky/red and light and dark purple. zone 7-9 Frown as perennials. They are wonderful in hanging baskets too. This is my go to plant!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wavy
posted Hide Post
Nance ~ I don't have Wave Petunia seeds, only regular Petunia seeds. I want to see if Lowes sells Wave Petunia seeds. If they do, I will buy them to plant next year (winter sowing!). If you want to plant Petunia seeds this year, I would say go ahead and plant them. They will take maybe 6 weeks to flower (not sure), but if you plant them this year, you will get lots of Petunia seeds from them (free!) for next yrs. 'winter sowing', if you want to try it again. I would plant them directly outside now, they'll do much better and grow faster.
Two yrs. ago I planted sunflower seeds really late in the yr. I was procrastinating, doing other gardening things and before I knew it, it was almost July. I planted them anyway!!!! I refused to wait ANOTHER YR. to plant them. I wait SOOOOOOO LONG for spring to arrive, that I refused to postpone until next yr. They bloomed until October, but I learned from that experience! I planted sunflower seeds early this yr. and they're doing great outside!
Every single planting I do, is a learning experience for me!!! Go for it!

SPRING HAS F I N A L L Y SPRUNG!!!!!

Posts: 453 | Location: "The Garden State" ~ N.J. | Registered: Jul 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
ga.karen: good info. I'm going to try it.

ruby: looked up Homestead verbena. It would be an annual for us, but it says an aggressive grower so I will look around for it. Sometimes I wish we didn't live in such a cold climate where all these beautiful flowers die in the fall. Frown

Wavy: O, I get it. I thought Waves were hard to find locally, tho. Let me know if you find them at the box stores. I know you can get them on line. When we plant sunflower seeds, the deer can smell them and hightail it over here. One year I had one with all the leaves chewed off and a flower at the top. It was the funniest thing!

posted Hide Post
Petunias, million bells and verbena.

Posts: 3050 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Thanks, 16paws. I have never planted verbena but did buy some about 2 wks ago and potted them up a hanging basket. they're filling out and growing buds. Some have opened. They are looking gorgeous. I'll have to look for some pics to see how they look when grown in the ground. Thanks for your suggestions.