Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Amaryllis lost, but now found...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amaryllis lost, but now found... Sign In/Join 
Picture of nance425
posted
What the heck? They decided to start growing just as I was about to give them the boot. (They must be trying to keep up with the Dahlias that just poked through.)

They never formed flowers at Christmas, just leaves. I wonder if I'll get flowers this time around. It's about 2-1/2 years old.

After I pulled off the dead brown leaves, I just left it hanging around, forgetting to put it in the basement or watering it. They must think Christmas is coming early this year with all the unusual snow and colder temps we've been having... Smile

Is that a flower stem on the right one?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nance425,

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
How cool! Looks like a flower to me. Let us know & show a pic. They are so beautiful.

Posts: 10360 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Toots
posted Hide Post
mine spent the winter in the greenhouse... took them out and left them to live or die outside... I'll be darned if the one didn't pop a bud!!!... looks now just like yours... this is the 'real' season for them to bloom, I guess!!.... you show me yours when it blooms and I'll show you mine....!!.. LOL!!!

"Gardening Keeps Me Growing!"

Posts: 26871 | Location: Near Charlotte, NC, zone 7 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Toots
posted Hide Post
whoops!.... that new avatar didn't work out quite right!!... sorry.... brb....

Posts: 26871 | Location: Near Charlotte, NC, zone 7 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Toots- game on. How many do you have?

Is that a bug bowling ball? What's under the pot its sitting on?

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
My amaryllis have been in the ground for three years and this year they finally decided to bloom last month. Now all I have are seed pods.

LOL Toots, that's what happened to me with my old avatar...it was HUGE! Cute garden ladybug!

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7295 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Mine were gifts from silly bird and some have been in the ground 2 yrs. and some just one yr. But they are getting buds. My cats broke off the first bloom stem, so I doubt that one will rebloom...just so it keeps growing, that's ok...this time!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4411 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Toots
posted Hide Post
I've been trying several times now, to replace the darned thing with a new avatar or NO avatar and it won't take!!!... now I'm afraid to try a picture of my flower!!....oh, well!!

and that's a roll of masking tape that the bowling ball bug is sitting on....only thing I had handy!!... LOL!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Toots,

Picture of Toots
posted Hide Post
never know until I try...

Picture of Toots
posted Hide Post
all I have are those three bulbs in the one pot... prob should separate them, huh?...every year I have to threaten them with the compost pile to get any of them to bloom.... *smile*....

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Pretty!...I want that pot with the frogs! hehe

Posts: 7295 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Hey Toots, cool plants. What is that lil pink thing poking thru your amaryllis leaves? Is it a flower from the plant? O, as I look closer it looks like part of a geranium flower next to the A. Were all these plants "wintered over?"

When ours flower, we could do something like this and pretend it's Christmas since they disappointed us last Christmas. Smile

p.s. I'm not sure where I got this picture. If it came from someone on these boards, kudos to you cuz I just love how it's decorated. I saved it for inspiration.

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
All of mine go in the ground in the spring and they stay there. Sometimes they bloom again, sometimes it the next year.

Toots, I see no picture with a bowling ball, nor do I see your usual funny lady with glasses picture. What I see is a star! Well, you are definitely a STAR in my book!

ve

edited to add: whoever did that Christmas Amaryllis is talented. That is a beautiful idea...consider it stolen for this coming Christmas in Tennessee.

Posts: 3237 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Toots
posted Hide Post
vera... I finally got the avatar to go away!!... here's where I got the idea for the ladybug bowling ball if ya wanna see it....and the site that used to host my Toots is defunct now... gotta find me a new one...sigh...
nance, love that xmas one!!... mine is red and white flower, I think... been so long since I've seen it....??? and yes, that's an overwintered geranium flower!....

Zone9... those pots on the upper shelves all have froggies!!...found a bunch of them at Goodwill!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Toots,

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I LUV all the ladybugs! what a cute idea...they look better in groups! LOL!

WOW I had to go back and look, funny I just noticed the one in the middle. Love them.