Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  making path ways Patty louise or anyone
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

making path ways Patty louise or anyone Sign In/Join 
posted
I want to make some paths at our new home. How to go about it so to many weeds won't come up.I've saved all my boxes that I moved with!!
I'm hoping to get rid of voles in our new yard. the back yard is nothing but burmurda grass.
Just need some ideas. It will be a while before we start. thanks for any ideas. You folks have the best ideas! TIA

Carlene

Posts: 1412 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Silly, The only thing I can tell you is that you have to start with a good base. Lay down plently of sand and gravel. That's mainly for a concrete one, anyway. I also have one out in the bird garden. Just put down heavy plastic or even a rug and put mulch over it. Old carpeting really works well......Do you have any idea of what type you want for a path?

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure yet. Just getting ideas. thank you

Carlene

Posts: 1412 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I think it's Patty that has one made out of oyster shell. I've always thought that one was really neat. Oyster shell is the stuff chickens need to form a shell for their eggs...available wherever chicken feed is sold.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4441 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Barb in Mississippi
posted Hide Post
karen, how does one make a path out of oyster shells? i heard that when the oyster shell gets wet that it isn't good anymore, but i do need to make a path to the chicken yard and from one yard to another.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Barb in Mississippi,

Posts: 3158 | Location: Holly Springs, MS USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
I dug out the area I was using about 4" deep, put down newspaper, landscape cloth & bags of oyster shell. Still had weeds coming up. Plus the oyster shell had to be refreshed every year & it's not cheap. So now I have covered my walkway with a white gravel. Like that much better & it was cheaper! My walk way is edged with brick so the gravel stays in place.

The reason I wanted oyster shell was because it is used in Colonial Williamsburg gardens. But the gravel has the same look.

Posts: 10369 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Barb in Mississippi
posted Hide Post
thank you, patty louise!

Posts: 3158 | Location: Holly Springs, MS USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update Patty. Sorry the oyster shell didn't hold up, that's a shame. I really liked the look of it.

We just had 20 tons of white rock spread in our driveway! It hasn't been 2 weeks yet and the grass is already coming up through it...Bermuda grass!!!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4441 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post