Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Inpatient Outlook for this year ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inpatient Outlook for this year ? Sign In/Join 
posted
Hello,
I am really looking forward to the summer season and planting flowers. One of our favorite flowers are inpatients. Unfortunately the past couple of years this flower has had an issue with disease where we live in the North east part of the country. Has anyone heard anything about the future of this flower for the upcoming planting season? I know it is really early but I like to have a plan in place. I appreciate your suggestions and help! murphman

Posts: 129 | Registered: Dec 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check with your agricultural dept. in your area.Mass or UNH has a lot of great info. Impatiens were not doing well at all last year due to that disease, so I'd check first before buying any. It stays in the soil and contaminates everything making the soil to be removed entirely to get rid of disease. Good luck.

Posts: 890 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everything
I have seen thus far says the problem with
Downy Mildew on Impatiens (There is no T on the end, although if one starts them from seed one may become impatient) is still a major problem that has not been solved. Grow New Guinea
Impatiens is what every article I have seen is recommending.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8156 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
I planted them last year & had no problems. Will do so again & keep my fingers crossed!

Posts: 10423 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
I've switched to begonias so I won't have to worry about the impatiens...nice shade flowers, too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7824 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
quote:
New Guinea

You would LOVE New Guineas! Before you plant, be sure to read about them. I even had a pot of them one year. So pretty and easy to keep.

Posts: 4906 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
This question was just asked in one of my garden magazines. The answer was: This disease causes complete defoliation or collapse of plants. It is esp. destructive in cool, moist growing conditions. Do not plant impatiens in gardens that were previously infected with the disease. Instead, use the highly resistant New Guinea impatiens, or a non-related plant suited to the same growing conditions. Fortunately, universities and nurseries are working on this problem. Growers are watching for signs of the disease during the growing process to help keep infected plants out of the garden. There are fungicides labeled for controlling the disease, but they must be applied before the plants are infected. Once the plants are infected, these fungicides are not effective.

So, according to this article, it's still not safe to plant them.

ve

Posts: 3580 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I had some diseased ones 2 yrs. ago, but mine were in pots. All that soil went into holes in the yard where tree roots had rotted out...so not a place I would plant anything else.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4845 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all of the helpful information. I really appreciate it. I was hoping for better news to be honest. Thank you everyone!

Posts: 129 | Registered: Dec 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post