Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  New to gardening and yards...any help?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to gardening and yards...any help? Sign In/Join 
Picture of blur411
posted
I just bought my first home a few months ago, and I'm trying to get it looking nice. We started a garden in the back, and it's my first time and I started all my plants from seeds, except for two I bought. One of the "Big boy" tomato plants I bought is growing well, I have two medium green tomatoes so far, but I noticed on the main stem little tiny white spores? I googled and I can't find anything that looks like it. Attached is a picture.

Also, there is a trumpet vine, and under it are a ton of other "little tree" looking things growing...are these the same thing growing wild all over my yard, and if so how do I get rid of them? We mow them over and they keep coming back

http://i.imgur.com/B8XGAR6.jpg Little trees
http://i.imgur.com/zyMaX7o.jpg Tomato plant stem
http://i.imgur.com/az4T2aU.jpg Trumpet vine

This message has been edited. Last edited by: blur411,

*Amber*

Posts: 33 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: Jul 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your new endeavor. Gardening is fun. Those little "trees" as you call them are trumpet vine seedling sprouts. You have to pull them out by the roots if You don't want them. Tenacious little things that you won't get rid of otherwise.
Not sure about tomato plants....unless its just root sprouts from main stem??? Google tomato diseases. I've never had that particular problem.
Trumpet vine should be trimmed every year (early spring/when dormant). Or that takes over the world, too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jmchab,

Posts: 657 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
jmc hit it spot on. Your tomato stem looks like additional roots trying to come out. I've had them do that before. Just ignore it.
Next time you plant tomoatoes...plant them in the ground up to the first leaves of the plant. They will form roots all along that stem and be a better plant for you.

And I forgot...welcome to the boards.

One other thing....even though I really hate to do it....I would hit that yard one time with weed & feed to get rid of some of your problems...not sure if it will get rid of the trumpet vine, but it would be worth one shot to try. Just make sure it doesn't get into your veggie area if you do that or any flower beds.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ga.karen,

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4323 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blur411
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for your help! I was worried that it was a sort of fungus on the tomatoes, but when I googled it nothing I found looked like what mine did so I'm glad to hear it is most likely nothing and thanks for the future advice. I may go ahead and try the weed/feed thing as soon as we stop having so much rain, and I can make sure I take my dogs out front to avoid them getting the stuff on their paws.

Thanks!

*Amber*

Posts: 33 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: Jul 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the boards.
Good luck with your new home!

Carlene

Posts: 1372 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
Welcome. Come visit us often. We love gardening questions and to "just talk".

Posts: 15205 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post