Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Ruby Throat Hummingbird Migration Map
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruby Throat Hummingbird Migration Map Sign In/Join 
Picture of ga.karen
posted
A link....

http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

Be sure to report your first sighting!
I'm hoping mine is within the next 2 weeks!!!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5095 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Thanks Karen. I just looked on my last years calendar. My scout showed up on april 8th, so guess I have a ways to go. When did your scout show up last year?

ve

Posts: 3702 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Won't see them up here in the north till late April....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jmchab,

Posts: 947 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I think my first sighting was March 3rd...or 5th. But the latest I've ever had to wait was March 15.
My hummer feeders are full & 4 are hanging on the front porch. After the first one shows up I'll hang a couple more...one on the south side & one in back, west side.
There is also a full jug of "juice" in the fridge, got that made today! Big Grin

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5095 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
OMG! Looks like a couple have been sighted already, one of them fairly close to my house. I'll put out a feeder when I get home and try to get some colorful flowers out, too.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6798 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Yipppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! They have hit the shores! Won't be long now.

My feeders are out and there is a jug of fresh "juice" in the fridge...did that yesterday too!

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Oh goodness! More added today.
FFG, you better hurry with that feeder! Big Grin

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
A total of 6 sightings so far! ((thumbs up))

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Coming up the Fl. "finger" coast now...they are coming! Big Grin

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
They hit Tallahassee today!

posted Hide Post
A lady on the west side of Pensacola had the first Ruby Throat at her house yesterday. My feeder is up, but nothing here. A big flock of yellow rumps this afternoon, though.

Posts: 6798 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Snow covered so not thinking hummingbirds at all for quite some time! Get some pics you ladies in the south!

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 13145 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
None here yet either. I see Jacksonville has been added,

Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
I wonder why they even come up north?

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 13145 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
Such good reports. Yippppp! Nothing here as of yet, but the weather has been very cold.

Posts: 5012 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I don't have any yet either....hopefully by midweek???

We have 2 more mornings in the 30's so maybe after that. And they keep changing our forecast! Roll Eyes

Picture of jvelo
posted Hide Post
Always thrilling, even if they don't get to my area for a while. Spring is coming north!!!

Posts: 3280 | Location: Putnam County, NY z5 | Registered: Jun 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
FFG - funny about the yellow rumps. I had to look in my bird book the other day to ID one...not sure if they've always been here (doubtful) of if suddenly we have them. Surely if they've always been here I'd have noticed them.

We have robins everywhere...strange how they come and go here....love hearing their happy spring chirps! Now to just have spring!

ve

Posts: 3702 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
The robins have mostly moved on from here. Every couple of days I will see one or two, but not the small flocks I had before.
Most of my warblers are gone and my chipping sparrows keep getting fewer & fewer...so they are moving north!

The ruby throats are going west...into Tx. instead of coming north into the cold!

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Coming faster now folks. Check it out...almost to the middle of Ga. today and another way up in Tx.!

posted Hide Post
None here yet, but I keep hoping.

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Nearly to the middle of Al., so heads up gals!

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Looks like one was spotted in the Atlanta area today!!!!!

posted Hide Post
TTTtop

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
The last Alabama sighting looks to be just a wee bit below Huntsville......mine should be here close to the same time as last year. I keep checking the map so that I'll be prepared. I hope they stay south for another couple of weeks since we are supposed to have freezing weather again next week.

ve

posted Hide Post
Geez, Sure am glad someone's going to see those little sweeties!. If the weather doesn't change here, we'll be likely not to see them till July!! Temps are 10-20 degrees below normal and it doesn't feel like it will ever warm up.

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Moving up! VE they are down at the road...ready to come up your lane! Big Grin

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
LOL Karen, I saw...I don't want them to come yet.....it's supposed to be 28 tonight and hopefully in the mid 40's tomorrow. They will freeze to death. However, going to make my sugar water and have it ready just in case I happen to see one. If it stays this cold through Wednesday, most likely I'll have to see it, because I sure won't be outside.

ve

posted Hide Post
27 and snow today--they better stay much farther south for a while!

Posts: 3267 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
One in Ok. now & up past the half way mark in Ark.! Moving!

posted Hide Post
to the top

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
One sighted nearly on the Ark./Mo. line! They are moving up....get those feeders out! Doesn't matter if it is cold or not, they are coming!

Picture of Barb in Mississippi
posted Hide Post
I JUST SAW ONE!!!!!!!

Now to get the rest of my feeders out!

I'm soooo happy!!!!!!! HAPPY DANCE! HAPPY DANCE! HAPPY DANCE! HAPPY DANCE! HAPPY DANCE!
HAPPY DANCE! HAPPY DANCE! HAPPY DANCE! HAPPY DANCE!
I have a pair of the little darlings, have put out all six of my feeders and as to be expected, they are fighting over them.

I've already reported the sighting!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Barb in Mississippi,

Posts: 3240 | Location: Holly Springs, MS USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
I just checked the map again...they are in Tennessee already, but not at my house! I wonder if they got lost? I changed out my sugar water today.

Still looking and hoping.

ve

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
One in southern Ill. and one in Md.
I hope the rest of ya'al up that way have your feeders out too!

Some days we have 3, some days 4 and last night DH said there were 6 at one time. So there will be more headed up that way!
They are hitting all the honeysuckles hot/heavy!

Picture of Ironside
posted Hide Post
Still early here up by Lake Erie. They won't show until around Mother's Day.

Posts: 558 | Location: Eastlake, Ohio Zone 5 | Registered: Feb 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quiltbea
posted Hide Post
I use this map every year so I can set out a feeder early and tie my shepherd's crook with red fabric streamers so they can more easily spot their old neighborhood for the summer. With our delayed spring, I don't expect to see mine for weeks yet here in Maine.

Have a Good Day!

Posts: 13302 | Location: Southwestern Maine Zone 5 U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
I saw our first one yesterday. DH said he saw one last week but this was my first sighting. So happy to see them!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Georgia Peach,

Posts: 2302 | Location: Coastal Plain Region ~~ Georgia ~~ Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I still haven't seen one at my house bug guess its time to replace the nectar just in case one gets lost and wanders by!!

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Finally! My scout showed up yesterday - April 6th..two days earlier than last year. When I went to record his arrival on the map, I noticed that they are all over Tn...even close to Ky. Wonder what took mine so long. At least he's here, so the ladies will be arriving soon.

ve

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Yippeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soooo glad you finally got one!

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Now into northern Mo., Md. & N.J. I hope you gals over towards the east coast have your feeders out...Wavie, Patty *****e...who else?

posted Hide Post
Oh my gosh Karen...those little guys will be up here in NH in no time at all. Feeder is in the back hall. Will have to try and get it ready early this year. Usually don't see the scouts first though.....

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Jan, if they keep coming up the coast, they will be knocking on your door soon! Big Grin
They must not like the weather in Ill. & Ind., they seem to be avoiding that area!

And heads up for anyone in Pa....they are just across the southern state line!

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Saw my first female this morning. I'm surprised the Florida folks haven't spotted any yet.

Posts: 2302 | Location: Coastal Plain Region ~~ Georgia ~~ Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I think my female had built already. She has been busy at the feeders and won't put up with the males trying to chase her away.