Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  help, puter dying
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

help, puter dying Sign In/Join 
Picture of SSTR (Stop & Smell the Roses)
posted
Our desk top computer is on its last leg, freezing up all the time, and slow. I don't know where to take it to get a health checkup. I've done Malware scans etc.

Also, does my googling info on the internet and spending time here on this board and etc. cause this. I don't want to screw up this laptop.

Posts: 679 | Location: TX Gulf coast, zone 9 | Registered: Mar 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NYlady
posted Hide Post
How old is it.. I just replaced my 6 year old computer . They say 3 years is about the lifespan of a computer. Do you clear your cache each day? I got my computer from Staples.. They had an HP on sale with Windows 7 in it.. Didn't want Windows 8. a supposed nightmare to get used to. Have previously bought from and had my computers repaired by Best Buy and had no trouble. Do you have the back up disks? Sometimes they can blow out and re do the whole machine.. Just make sure you save everything you want to keep. Good luck.ann

Posts: 3438 | Location: Staten Island, NY , USA | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Yes - as NYlady said - save everything on a disc. Especially your pictures!

Posts: 10423 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Agreed, save it all now before the 'puter dies...I bought mine from Best Buy but had it repaired through Office Max...much nicer people to deal with here.

I also do a CCleaner on it and a defrag every week. That helps mine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7828 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used the Piriform CCleaner with good luck in making my laptop last a little longer. And it is free!

Posts: 7049 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
And, your using google and being on the forums here aren't doing anything to slow your 'puter down. It's just general use that slows down the machine after a while.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7828 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
How old is it? If it is a Windows XP, you probably will not be able to get it fixed. If it is a newer model, it just needs to be cleaned up and overhauled by a computer service such as Staples. Look in your yellow pages of your phone book under computer repair or some such wording for shops that clean out computers. We have one named Computer Geeks. Hope you have one. They are all across the country and some will come to your home.

Keep us posted, please.

Posts: 4915 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, thank you for your feedback ladies!I love having a computer but have felt helpless with this problem. Been degragmenting and all that, but nothing has helped. Will go get a disk or two - wonder how many I'll need to buy.

Posts: 679 | Location: TX Gulf coast, zone 9 | Registered: Mar 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSTR (Stop & Smell the Roses):
Thank you, thank you for your feedback ladies!I love having a computer but have felt helpless with this problem. Been degragmenting and all that, but nothing has helped. Will go get a disk or two - wonder how many I'll need to buy.

Most come in packages instead of by the each. First go through you computer and delete all that you don't use but for some reason you are hanging onto it. We ALL do this. lol
I did this during the week and I was surprised at how much I was hanging onto!
Then give it a defrag;
Turn it off, wait a few minutes, and then start again so the computer can adjust itself.

Posts: 4915 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SSTR I tried to pm you but it wouldn't let me. So I'll post it here.
Try this place. They have helped me lots of time and are very patient and nice.
You will have to sign up but there is no spam to worry about. Give them a try.

http://forum.worldstart.com/index.php

Carlene

Posts: 1654 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do they charge Sillybird?

Joy37, our computer is probably considered old and yes, it is an XP. Fortunately, we have this laptop.

posted Hide Post
No it is all free!! Sign up for their newsletter too. It's good!! I've even ordered some of their specials. Very good company
My computer is XP too and they helped me!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: silly bird,

Carlene

Posts: 1654 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Now What
posted Hide Post
Download the free version of Malware Bytes

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Then run it. It will help clear the stuff ruining your computer. If it doesn't for some reason then it needs to be professionally looked after as you may have a root virus.

Posts: 1809 | Location: Northern Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
SSTR,

Just chatting. I love XP. It is my favorite to this very day. I had to say goodbye to mine this year. I'm on a Visa laptop now. Hard to keep up with computers these days.

My husband has a Visa desktop and it needs to go to the shop.

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also do a CCleaner on it and a defrag every week. That helps mine.

Need to learn. How do you do that, Mgt?
Can you give step by step instructions? I think I need to do that, too. And how do you clear out the "cache?" Where do i find it?

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Nance, I downloaded a program called CCleaner. You'll find the website if you google that name. To clear the cache, I never remember so I click on the windows button & click search & type in 'clear cache'.

The CCleaner is free & safe, so I wouldn't be afraid to download it.

Hope this helps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
I agree with mgt. I use CClearner too. My computer tec in Denver put it on for me! Easy tho!

Carlene

posted Hide Post
Do I have to uninstall my Malware or Norton to use CCleaner?

Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
SSTR, nope, you don't have to uninstall anything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~