Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Did some yard cleanup today.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did some yard cleanup today. Sign In/Join 
Picture of ga.karen
posted
This was the second day I've gotten to work on it.
Cut down the old butterfly plant stems, cut down the perennial hibiscus stems, trimmed back 2 lantanas and found new leaves starting at the bottom and trimmed up a blue beard.
Also found my wire "trellis" had been blown over so put it back in place & lock strapped it to the rebar poles holding it.

I have growth on my Brugmansia, that lantana I saw, one iris blooming and another bloom stem coming up, buds on the red honeysuckle and butterfly bush and one group of chives is blooming.

And we are supposed to get thunder storms tomorrow! Frown

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4810 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With 23 inches of snow on the ground about the only cleanup I can do is make paths to the bird feeders so they can be filled.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8153 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You've been busy as always!
I got out and put edging around my azalea bed it's right next to the side walk and every time I watered it the dirt ran on the side walk.
Pulled some weeds.
Dug up the flower bed and raked some of the grass out of it. Stirred the compost. It was a nice day here and not as much wind. So it was a good day.
Oh and went to a garage sale and got 2 pieces and the plastic lattice brand new for $5!! What a bargain. It's $20 here at Lowe's. Will use it for my morning glories.

Carlene

Posts: 1588 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
I cut my clems back yesterday & may do more today. Need to cut my maiden grass, spireas, roses, Russian sage, barberries, hydrangeas & rake leaves. This all sounds like too much work! LOL!

Posts: 10422 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So glad someone is able to get out in the yard and garden. Like Kimm (though not as much snow) paths to the bird feeders reign. It is warmer today-44 degrees but with an overcast and dreary wintery sky. At least it's warming up and some snow gone. Hate the month of Feb.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jmchab,

Posts: 867 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
My flower beds will need to be pruned and trimmed when I get back to the house later in the week. Got an idea for some pansies to ease us into the warmer weather. I'm ready for some color!!

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6563 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
Wow, you are busy!

We have nice weather now, but have wind. At my advanced age, I try not to get out in the wind. So guess my clean up will have to wait.

I did see some daylilies popping up about two or three inches when I went out to pick up the newspaper.

Posts: 4896 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
There certainly is NO yardwork getting done today. It started raining about 8am & hasn't completely quit yet! Roll Eyes

I'm going to the garden house shortly to "play" down there! Big Grin

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4810 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Karen, you certainly got a whole lot accomplished. Yesterday I did manage to cut back the 5 butterfly bushes, then did a bit of trimming off dead stuff that didn't get done in the fall. It was a nice 70 degree day, but there was a bit of wind.

It's hard to believe that this coming week we are supposed to go back into winter with highs in the 49's and lows in the 20's again. Sigh.

Oh, and my native daffodils are blooming!!

ve

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vera ellen,

Posts: 3549 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty ve!!! Love the daffs.

Carlene

Posts: 1588 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Oh VE, those are pretty! They look like one of mine. But I don't think mine are native, I think they were a markdown at Lowes! Big Grin

I did "play" for awhile. I had emptied my potting mix bucket (5 gal. bucket) so I had to mix up a bunch more. I filled my 3 hanging basket pots & put 3 groups of 3 ea. Nasturtims in them. Not sure if I will add anything else or not.
Then I refilled that little plastic 9 pack and planted more seeds...same thing.
I had moved some pots around in there the other day and I now have 2 crab apple trees up!

It better warm up quick...I'm running out of room in the garden house and I have more seeds I want to plant!

Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you got a lot done Karen. This nice weather makes me want to get out and garden but I haven't had time yet.

Still need to prune some crape myrtles, butterfly bushes and more, plus tons of leaves in my beds to clean up.

I drove by a house nearby and was so excited to see their daffs in bloom. For some reason, all of my stuff blooms later than everyone else's around here.

Posts: 1143 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
I call these native daffs because they are the kind that you see around old homesteads (like ours) and along roadsides in the country. They are smaller and bloom earlier than the hybrids. Not sure if they are native or not...just happy to have them.

Fluff, you may be in a different climate pocket than your neighbors. Each yard has these little micro-climates. I have the same thing happen here too. My neighbor down the road always has iris and daff blooms before me.

I have so much clean up to do.........the crepes need to be pruned, I need a new garden fence to hide the propane bomb, new beds need to be built down at the barn....and the winter weeds are taking over. Sigh, just need some warm workable weather.

ve

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vera ellen,

Posts: 3549 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
VE, let's not talk about weeds yet! My spring ones are going WILD!

Today was HEAVY work. DH brought home a trailer FULL of horse manure yesterday and he is having back trouble right now. So "I" got to unload it as it is supposed to rain tomorrow.
It is now spread in an area about 60' long and 10-20' wide depending on where there were bare spots. Since my compost piles are close to full and I can't spread this fresh stuff in my garden beds, we have been putting it out in the yard where no grass grows...hope it helps this nasty clay!

And I got all the bird feeders filled again and new suet blocks out...since we are supposed to get cold again! Frown