Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Decision--- Sign In/Join 
Picture of Loonie
posted
This occurred last spring and it only came to mind because we have a resident chipmunk that we regularly feed trail mix to.. He's a cutey.
In mowing the grass in the ditch by the roadside I noticed something moving near me. It was a mole and it was heading up the other side of the ditch toward the road.

I quickly turned the machine around and headed in his direction.

Now comes decision time.
Could I? Well, I only had to quicken my pace and.......
Ah, but should I?........
and most interesting ......would I?

About a year ago I was talking with my neighbor and I was relating how I had a mole problem....holes were showing up and ...
Just then my friend said....
"You mean like that one"....I turned and indeed there he was with his head poking out the hole not two feet from me.
I had a spade in my hand but before I could bring it up....he was gone down his hole.
I was ready to bash his head in....and I would've..

OK, now I've got this fur ball in my gunsight...my machine and all I've got to do is catch up to him.

That is when the questions came quickly in my mind....could I....would I.....should I.

That day after mowing the grass I cleaned under the deck and no hair or red had to be cleaned from the blade or housing.

But....I swear, if that begger ever comes back and I get a chance to
I will.....I swear I will......

What would you do?

Posts: 458 | Registered: Mar 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can trap 'em, but I can't kill them in cold blood. My DH can, however. Maybe not moles but other noxious ones. Too much costly destruction in the yard.....

Posts: 899 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Toots
posted Hide Post
nope, you can't do it.... your name is Loonie, not Meanie.....

"Gardening Keeps Me Growing!"

Posts: 26882 | Location: Near Charlotte, NC, zone 7 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
My neighbor had this method: He would watch the holes at the end of the tunnels in early morning and dusk. That's when they're active and poking their heads out. You have to be very quiet; they sense vibrations in the ground and won't come out if they sense danger. Then he'd take a spade and plunge it across the width of the tunnel behind the mole as his head popped up. Moles can't move in reverse, so he's then trapped. A quick hit in the head with a second spade and the problem's solved. It's not for the faint of heart, but it works.

Posts: 4554 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Well, ewwww!

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7836 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
Just want to say I hate those things. I use to own a home that had over 100 hostas. They ruined many of those for me. I know they have to live, but can't they live in someone else's yard, please?

Posts: 15326 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
No, I can't kill them. Even tho they eat plant roots. If my dog, Buster, can find them he takes care of them for me.Frown

Posts: 10424 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
There are very efficient spring loaded mole traps. They trigger by vibration, so you place them over a tunnel, and crush one side of the tunnel run and set the spring. When they try to dig through, the spring releases. If there is blood evident on the tines when you remove it...you got it, and burial is complete also.

Posts: 9626 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I hate them too...they tear up a lot of my work. I would kill them if I ever saw them.

That's a great photo Pattie, Buster looks as though he's happy to help.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7462 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Conrad we used to use those also. Every year DH would give me a mole count!

Zone9 yep Buster is being cool altho he is really doing a happy dance!

Posts: 10424 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Love your buddy PL. My sister's buddy brought them a live snake once. She screamed, DH took care of it. Smile

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
Oh gosh, I don't think I could. I get upset if I run over a squirrel.

Posts: 1143 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Pesky little things aren't they? I couldn't do it. I h ate k illing anything (except mosquitoes), but I have a cat that usually takes care of any rodent problem Smile

Wanda

Posts: 4866 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
No, I can't kill anything but mosquitoes and house flies. However, I have 2 cats and a dog who efficiently deal with any mice that get in. The cats, being cats, have fun with them for awhile which I dislike so when I see that occurring I let the dog out of the kitchen and she is *very* fast and efficient. Instant dead mouse. Otherwise she's a cute little lap dog! LOL She *thinks* she's going to get a squirrel but they are too fast for her. However she'll sit under a tree for ages with high hopes!

Patty, love the pic of Buster, you can tell he's very proud of himself!

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12747 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post