Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  so, when does the winter sowing begin?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

so, when does the winter sowing begin? Sign In/Join 
posted
I want to do some this year but am not sure when to start. When are you starting?

Posts: 15330 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I've never done it cause I use my little garden house...
But bumping for VE!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4993 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
owie I've never done it either but I was told in my zone 6b to start around Dec 21. I'm going to try it for the first time this yr.
What are you going to start?
I'll only do flowers and maybe a tomato or two.
Have you been on the winter sowing on Garden Web? I'll pm you the link.

Carlene

Posts: 1738 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
You can do it any time after it becomes really cold and winter has firmly set in. Many people do it in January I think because they have 'spring fever' and want to plant things! I started getting my milk gallons ready around Feb. but other things got in the way and I actually did not do my "winter sowing" last year until March and it came out great anyway. It's still cold in March where I am. I probably will start my winter sowing in Feb. That is when I am desperate to plant something, anything at all! It's fun to do and you can do it any time from January on. It's up to you. I am so happy to see you in such good spirits. Best Wishes!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Waverider ;),

Posts: 2521 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Owie - Wavie gave you good advice. No matter when you sow, the seeds won't sprout until the proper warming time for your zone anyway.

I only winter sow my heirloom tomato seeds. I generally start those in early to mid February. Because our springs usually come early here, it's actually a waste of time for me to wintersow annual flowers.

Good luck..it's fun and gives you a chance to get your hands dirty early on.

ve

Posts: 3658 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
VE, you are doing winter sowing in Feb. and last year I planted my first tomato plants in the ground in Feb.! I only had to cover them once when we had some cold weather stop by.
Going to try to do that again this year, but maybe with some better varieties, I hope!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4993 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
gakaren, you done good. Way to go with those maters.
This post shows how little I know about winter sowing. I though the temperature had to be just right and the timing so the stuff would not sprout and get too leggy. Man, I have a lot to learn. Thanks for the info.

Posts: 15330 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Think it depends on your zone plus what your sowing. I always think its best to research online
specifically cuz chill periods can be different per seeds. I put my seeds to be chilled in a metal container in garage or fridge & then bring out to plant under grow lights. Squirrels get into anything left outside here. Grow an amaryllis bulb now to keep you happy! :>)

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 13098 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Muddyshoes, great idea. My Chris tmas cacti are blooming. And African violet.

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by owie:
Muddyshoes, great idea. My Chris tmas cacti are blooming. And African violet.

Lucky you! My Christmas cacti haven't even set buds yet. But they are usually late for me down here...around Jan. sometime. I think my lonely violet is done until spring...I have one in my kitchen window.
Owie, by planting my maters so early, I beat the horn worms and actually got enough to eat every day for a couple of months and I put 3 gallon bags of them in the freezer too! They are tasty in our winter "comfort" foods like chili, goulash (mac/beef) and a couple of pasta dishes I make!

posted Hide Post
I want to grow large zinnias this year from seed. Do you think I could wintersow these?

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
yes, I think you could winter sow zinnias. Try it both ways to see which works best for you....because you're only one zone up from me and I'm on the edge of 7 going into 6. The good news is - zinnia's transplant easily. I think they'll do fine and you'll have fun too.

I'm already collecting gallon milk jugs for my tomato seeds. Since we no longer buy milk in gallons, my DIL saves them for me. Some of my family think I'm nuts....at Thanksgiving we were at hubbys sister's house. She had bought 3 gallons of sweet tea...when fixing left over plates for home, I also collected the jugs out of the garbage. Since she's not a gardener, she thought that I was going nuts and still didn't understand my explanation, but I brought home 3 one gallon jugs. It was funny.

ve

Posts: 3658 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vera ellen:
yes, I think you could winter sow zinnias. Try it both ways to see which works best for you....because you're only one zone up from me and I'm on the edge of 7 going into 6. The good news is - zinnia's transplant easily. I think they'll do fine and you'll have fun too.

I'm already collecting gallon milk jugs for my tomato seeds. Since we no longer buy milk in gallons, my DIL saves them for me. Some of my family think I'm nuts....at Thanksgiving we were at hubbys sister's house. She had bought 3 gallons of sweet tea...when fixing left over plates for home, I also collected the jugs out of the garbage. Since she's not a gardener, she thought that I was going nuts and still didn't understand my explanation, but I brought home 3 one gallon jugs. It was funny.

ve

I can relate to that! Some folks think I'm nuts too when I bring home different stuff!
But next time I head that direction...remind me to bring you some jugs. I have some in the attic tied together with twine in the handles...for "just in case"...in case what?, I have no idea! Big Grin

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
LOL - love the "just in case". I thought I was the only one who did that!! Thanks

ve

posted Hide Post
I'm getting excited already.