Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Perennial Fall Color
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Perennial Fall Color Sign In/Join 
posted
Where do you all get your fall pretties? I'm looking to boost my fall color. Do you plant seeds or buy perennial fall plants? Nothing lasts here long this time of year. Are there seeds for fall perennial mums?

Posts: 909 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
http://www.paseseeds.com/servl...ed,-perennial/Detail

http://www.ehow.com/info_12304...-mums-seed-grow.html

That's all I could find. But I bought some perennial plants several years ago. They do ok for me but no big show like the bought mums.
And the bought ones will last several years for me too.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4960 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Karen, the hardy mums here are sometimes mismarked....not hardy perennials, that's for sure. Got tired of buying them and not having them return the next year. We can no longer buy small pots of anything....Can't afford 30** in the big nursery garden centers for gallon pots.
Would have a Nippon daisy in bloom if I'd remembered to transplant it in the spring ....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jmchab,

posted Hide Post
Where do you live? My fall mums do not always return either. I just take a chance on them. I don't have much fall or spring color. By the time fall comes along I am tuckered out and cannot even think of planting bulbs for spring color.

Posts: 15330 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
owie, I am in southern New Hampshire at the MA border., zone 5b. It's chilly here. Talking frost warnings tonite...all tender plants are in. But some mums are blooming now.
Check out those two sites from Karen. Good info.
Am going to do a lot of wintersowing this year, so I've got a list of must haves!!!

Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
We have several nurseries very close by so not a problem here. My mums never ever returned...might get some for a dinner party or house display but never count on seeing them next season.

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 13062 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want to wintersow this year also. Will be my first time. I'm excited about it. I can grow things in my basement but wintersewing seems like it is an interesting way to plant. We all must report on our progress. I need to learn how to post pictures this winter. On my to-so list.

Posts: 15330 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've really never cared for mums for that reason. Plus they take up to much room.
jmchab and owie I'm going to try wintersowing too.
Where are you going to start? they told me to start in Dec. here in OK. when do you start there? I bought potting soil to get started. I've never tried it either. Please post when you start and your progress!!

Carlene

Posts: 1695 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
owie and silly, Wintersowing is great.Did it years ago and had fantastic luck. However, mainly they were perennials that I figured I was safe with, i.e, those that needed cold stratification. I did mine in Dec. one year, but you can start in Jan/Feb also. If I have enough time and energy may do some annuals but those won't start till late March/April. Go to the wintersowing forum for Q's & A's.

Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
jmchab, aside from mums, try asters. I planted a few last year in my front yard and they're doing really well. I almost forgot what they were (maybe a weed?) until they bloomed.

An aha! moment for sure Smile

Wanda

Posts: 4866 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
J... The hardy "cushion" mums that are sold in pots here each fall aren't considered to be reliably hardy. Gardeners with experience consider them to be more like annuals. They buy what they need each year and toss them out when they're done. If mums survive to bloom another year, it's just dumb luck. And I'm one zone warmer than you. You probably wouldn't have any better luck than I, maybe worse.

The expert botanist who does the local weekly radio show says that asters are a better bet than mums in our climate when it comes to hardiness, but gardeners don't seem very taken with them. Maybe it's the more limited, cool color palette of asters; they aren't nearly as popular as the warm-toned mums.

More sophisticated gardeners than I like ornamental cabbage and pansies for fall color. Have you considered them? Also, my snapdragons have just perked back up now that summer heat has waned. Of course, snaps have a bright pastel color palette more reminiscent of spring than fall, but it's at least something when not much else is in bloom.

Posts: 4585 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nettie, I do have two plants of mums. One is a copper color that I got from a friend. It was white in her yard. I planted it and it turned bronze. The other is a pink. Neither grow the way I want. My yard is made of perennials. Stopped buying annuals a while back. Have had hardy winter pansies in the past. Don't care for ornamental cabbage. Am going to find some aster seeds for wintersowing. Hope they do well. Jan