Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Hint for trapping earwigs...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hint for trapping earwigs... Sign In/Join 
Picture of nance425
posted
I saw this and can't quite picture it. How far up from the ground is the "pot on a stick?"

Put a flowerpot on a stick and fill with grass, hay, straw or anything like that. Insert the stick in the ground beside the plant (dahlia). In the morning the earwigs will be in the straw in the pot. Take it off and drown them.

Has anyone ever done this that could give me a few more specifics or picture? Why not just put the pot on the ground???

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Good question, why not just lay the pot on the ground? You can also roll up some damp newspaper & the earwigs will crawl into that overnight & you can drown them. Bleah!

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7825 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Two ways to death!! I saw one of those things
tonight & can't wait to get started! LOL Great
Ideas! ;>)

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12915 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What I have seen about that "pot on a stick" is the pot rests on the soil and the stick props one end up a bit.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8158 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post