Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Help need your ideas,long...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help need your ideas,long... Sign In/Join 
Picture of jackierenette
posted
I am so ashamed to show this picture but, if I don't I want get true answers. I haven't weeded or mulched this slope in almost 4 yrs. Bad me, I know. I have been so busy helping take care of sick parents, grandbabies and trying to keep my diabetes in check.I do keep my patio deck with flowers to glory.Wink

Ok, this slope is from a 50-75 degree angle. Gets morning sun rises and all day sun til about 6-7pm.
I have red& purple Verbena planed at top, at bottom Lorriope? and DH had planted some Daffodil's along some areas. The sod we laid 2 yrs. ago, is taking off with runners. It will be prettier in the summer. DH laid it in patches and along the outer boarders. Our grass looked good last year I promise. But runners are smothering out the Lorriope. So I need to replant some to save it and weeds are wanting to take over.
This weekend we got started working on the weeds. We transplanted some red Verbena to top empty areas to fill in.
We have discussed this with DH brother. He said to lay bigger rocks and plant evergreen trees or shrubs amoung the rocks. It would cost 3-4000.00.We don't want to pay out that or even hundreds of **.Maybe 300.00 We have mulched this and it looks pretty.
I have thought of planting something white or yellow Knockout roses below the Verbena. Kinda in the center of the slope, in between where the 2 colors meet. It would take 6-8 Knockout roses. It would contrast with the red & purple.

What would you do if this was your slope & back yard ?? help.....PLEASE!!!

several pics to post.

Posts: 2989 | Location: Liberty, S.C. | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
Back of slopes down to Dogwood tree and 2 boulders. I have Daffodils planted in front as boarder. And have planted Lantana around the bed. Only 2 have survived this year. They're behind the rocks.

I have thought of placing flower pots with Day lilys in this area, then in fall plant them in the ground. Several colors of Day Lilys.Also have several pots of Woodland Phlox that can be planted here.
Ok this is after we weeded the bed this weekend and I flattened out the Daffodils leaves to plant then mulch.Not sure if that birdbath is staying there.

Any ideas?

Posts: 2989 | Location: Liberty, S.C. | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
Nice picture of tree a few years ago.We will remove those rocks used as edges.The sod runners are 2-3 feet over the rocks & intot the flower bed.I know the sod will take over this bed at some point.So then I will place pots of flowers around the flowerbed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jackierenette,

Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
Slope as of the weekend.Still has more weeding to do tomorrow.I am using Vinegar to get rid of the weeds.Trimming the Verbena back some too.

DH decided to burn the weeds we pulled in the grass.UGH...So if I plant knock out roses,I thought of spreading pineneedles instead of mulch.Good or Bad idea??

Open for any & all ideas.

Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
I am not good at having a plan - I have to plant a little at a time & then look at it.

I would suggest repeating plants. More of one thing looks better than a bunch of mixed up plants.

Maybe start with some grasses near the fence maybe 8' apart. They love sun, grow fast & get large. You could also do a few canopy trees here & there, maybe dogwoods or redbuds. Then I would start the under plantings.

You could plant some liriope - it spreads like crazy!

Another idea for under planting is wildflower seeds. If you get flowers that reseed they could just grow everywhere!

Go to Pinterest & google images & search planting slopes or hillsides.

Posts: 10349 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Forgot to say that I love the dogwood, boulders & birdbath where they are!

Posts: 10349 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
Maybe put in three crape myrtles along the back. There are many different types of crape myrtles and they grow to different heights. Then you could add some type of evergreen (all the same) around those. Then you can come in the front with the knockouts. I might do the drift or carpet roses because knockouts get huge. I had them on my slope and tore them out because I had to prune them so much to keep them the size I wanted and then they would lose all their leaves and look awful. Then you could come in front of those and do some perennials.

Posts: 1093 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seeing the slope at the other angle, it looks smaller than I thought. You could just do the drift roses towards the bottom and then do the perenials by the rocks. Maybe do a bunch of irises or some peonies by the rocks. If it were me, I'd keep fighting the grass trying to creep in.

Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
PatttLouise,I am honored you commented. I have your beautiful yard pics saved as inspiration. I was looking at your thread last week and decided I need to get moving & start making this slope & yard presentable. I also was looking at your saved pics late last night. Getting ideas. I have a huge folder of yard & patio inspiration pictures.Smile

I had a plan a few years ago, then hubby kind of planted several bulbs on this area. And time was needed elsewhere.UGH...I like uniform designs or cottagey wild flower looks. LOL, this is funny when we moved here in 2000,I planted wildflower seeds for 2 years. Never ever grew, they washed down the slope. These flowers pop up in my grass all summer. Love daisys, one of my favorites.

Also there is Liriope at foot of slope near those rock boarder. They are getting smothered out by the Zoyia sod DH planted 2 yrs ago. I need to dig those up, give them away or sell them. Rock boarder will have to come up at some time in the future. Grass is growing up the slope.

Another idea I had was plant yellow bell bushes along this slope. They get huge and take up space. Our neighbor on other slope across our yard, planted orange Lilys on other side of fence.I can dig up some for free to plant at top of this slope.Actually they were planted on our land,not theirs and they are taking over that area. BUT...they get out of control and will grow under fence into another neighbors yard.DH wants to transplant some to top of our slope as a boarder.

theoriginalfluffy, Thank you for your advice too.I have been reading about drift roses this weekend. DH brother said he'd do evergreen shrubs if this was his issue. He has nothing but Evergreens on his property, no flowers. LOL.

I am SO ready to make this look pretty and enjoyable to look at. I said last year this was our job this summer.
I am going to wait and get ideas for about a week. It's going to rain this weekend,then get the plan in motion.YEAH!!

Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
Oh yea,I have 5Lg. pots of old fashioned pink poppies.I know they are invaseive & can take over and smother out anything. I can transplant to slope and in time it will cover this area.Also have 5 salivia,8 pots of colored day lilys and endless supply of yellow bell bushes I want.

Would you get rid of red & purple Verbena completely and start fresh?

orginalfluffy,the slope is longer than it looks in picture.It's about 100+ feet from front of fence to back.

posted Hide Post
A mix of evergreen and deciduous would be best, IMO. I would try to work around the verbena if you can. They are really beautiful and when combined with everything else, they will look really nice. I have woodland phlox in a shady spot and they do great there. Maybe you could put those under the dogwood.

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I agree on the knockouts...they are WORK to keep in bounds. I moved mine out to the road so I don't have to prune them but once a year. I did that a week or so ago, I had rose branches that were 5, 6, 7' long to try to wrange with!

That variety of grass is much like the Bermuda that I fight with down here...it will go where it wants no matter what you do to it! It will be a constant battle to keep it out of beds!
You might want to contact your county extension office to see if they have any advice for pretty plants...ya never know unless you ask!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4305 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Hi Jackie,

It is hard when life events take our time and away from gardening. How wide is the back fence space that you have to garden?

Think about creating plant ledges across the area. They can be filled with plants or container plants.

A couple of inspiration pics for your space that might work.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

pic

Posts: 9318 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
PIC 2

pic

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
PIC 3

pic

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
PIC 4

pic

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
PIC 5

Good luck and have fun!

pic

Picture of PatV82
posted Hide Post
You are half way there - just by thinking about it!
I would stay away from roses. Lovely, hearty bushes are wonderful - but hardy, overgrown roses tend to take over the area.
I love verbana, but only in areas I want it to expand.
Container gardening might work on the slope areas but will require regular maintenance. And may encourage ants.
Cannas and other lily plants may do well - and will fill the tall space against the fence.
Like you, that encroaching grass is a constant. I'm going for plastic edging this year.
I found pine needle mulch encouraged the bugs (in Alabama) so we stick to bark mulch here (Illinois).
Ornamental cabbage, azaleas, and oleandar might do well.
Building a ledge with railroad ties might make it easier to divide the area.
Have fun.

www.pinterest.com/patv82

personallybypat.tumblr.com

Posts: 415 | Location: Aurora, Illinois | Registered: Jan 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Jackierenette that you so much! You have made my day!

Think about getting flowers that you can keep dividing - it saves tons of money. Irises, daylilies, daffodils. There are many more.

Beau's Rose wonderful pictures! Love the terracotta pots & the knot gardens on the slope!

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Jackie,

Another note for your garden is to fill it in with lots of plants. Seems like when I keep my garden beds "fuller" there are less weeds to deal with.

Looking at your area here is another thought. How about the element of disguise? Use that very bottom area of grass and plant some trees there. Then fill in the back slope area. In other words instead of making the slope the focal point it will become a back drop to the space.

What type of small trees do well in your zone? Crape myrtles or something that stays green would look nice. I am thinking that the taller trees on the actual yard space would help the eye to level out that slope area. KWIM?

I previously used a gas edger to keep the grass creep down in my planters. No edge material needed just a simple edge line. Then you can recycle the rock edge into your garden area.

Looks like you have a corner spot to design also. I like what you have already started.

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Jackie,

If you don't mind the pic here is where I played with paint. It is not designer but hopefully will explain my prior thoughts for you.

Take you time deciding how you want the area to look. Lots of inspiration pics on the garden sites. (BHG and Sunset).

You can do the design in stages as budget and time allows you. Even planting season by season. Just continue on with your plan. Like decorating your home in steps and phases.

Please don't mind the colors. I used ones to show up for you.

pic

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Ok explaination please!

Yellow and pink are pretty trees that will help bring the focal point down into the yard.

Blue lines could either be a row of rocks in the design or rows of similar plants.

The light purple are just more flowers that you like. Bring continuity into your space with repetition. Us the same plant and color across the planting area. These can be the "basic" background plants then you can fill in with annuals or color as you wish.

The brown line across gives the area some curves instead of the straight rigid line across the planter.

Of course you have to use imagination to see the end result since my skills are lacking. LOL.

Good luck and I hope you get some time to garden and relax soon!

Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
No need to apologize as your priorities have been correct. While it's lovely to have a great garden there are more important things in life.

What I did last year after my garden had become overgrown with weeds and self-seeders was to hire help with weeding and edging. It was the best way to get the garden back in shape quickly and prevent me from going bonkers!

I don't have much experience with slopes altho at one house where we had a steep slope DH terraced it. Not recommending you do that as it's a lot of work and I think your slope can work.

I've not used them but if you really want roses you might research Pavement Roses. http://www.oldheirloomroses.com/pavement.htm

Whatever you plant on the slope try to keep it sort of random, not symmetrical. Plant in clumps of 3's or 5's, do repeat them, but not in a straight line. Try to stay to 3 colors plus white unless you really like a riot of color.

Your 3rd pic and the verbena are very nice. Keeping a clean edge will keep that grass from spreading into the bed.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12587 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
wow, you have gotten some really great ideas here. I love the terraced look. Not only is it lovely to look at, but it would help with erosion too. I agree about taking small steps...like you, I tend to want it all NOW, but planning and execution take time. That looks like a large area, so one section at a time would be my suggestions too.

Keep in mind that the creeping phlox, verbena and daylilies all have specific bloom times...they won't bloom all summer long. How about adding some iris to the mix..you can get the reblooming kind that bloom off and on during the summer months. They are tall and would lift the eye a bit away from the slope too.

I like the idea of small trees...dislike the idea of knockouts because they require so much maintenance to keep under control. True they are beautiful, but require constant pruning.

Your area is going to be beautiful.

ve

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vera ellen,

Posts: 3172 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Jackie
Our slope is still a work in progress and filling out. Here are some of the plants we have on our "little" slope. Smile
I planted most plants in groups of 3's or 5's.

Karl Forester Grass (at the top)
Christie Hibiscus (red) in front of Karl
Sem Ash Leaf Spirea in front of Christie
Lemon Princess Spirea (I think, in front of Sem Ash Spirea)
Yellow Coreopsis Zagreb I think (on the right side)
Little Barberry (in front of Coreopsis)
Sedum Neon (in front of Barberry along right outer edge and on the left side of slope.
May put dahlias there this spring. I wanted something that would leaf out early in the spring til I decided what to do on that side.

Blue Star Junipers in forefront (in front of Princess)
Asters (right front - fall color)
White Veronica down front.

Make sure you add lots of compost to help with moisture as the slope might dry out fast. It's a pain to keep watering until they get established. And mulch, mulch, mulch til then!

Most of my plants were put in last year or the year before. I buy small and watch them grow. That Lemon Princes Spirea seems to be taking her sweet old time in that middle row, but I do have something yellow there Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nance425,

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Nance, that is simply beautiful!!! You are a good inspiration for what she needs to do to hers.

ve

Posts: 3172 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post

Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
Beaus Rose...love those inspiration pics and WOW WOW to the mockup picture.That gives me a wonderful idea.I never thought of planting tree on or at bottom of slope.Genisus,I say...LOL.I had been scrolling through web pics til 4am last night.My mnd has been in another world apparently.LOL

I have a computer Landscape program but never have installed it.Told DH last night we needed to and learn to use it.

PatV82,thank you for your advice on the pine needles and extra bugs.I've never heard any good or bad about thou.I will check into it and keep it in mental note.You gave me some great ideas.I know when I posted the true ugly pics on here I am ready to tackle this area.SmileIt was like a admitting I have an addiction,bad one...slacker.Smile

PattyLouise,I do have some plants to divide,that helps and can get some from friends.Smile I knew when we moved here I would want to save money on the never ending yard costs.I am going to set out some pots of different colored flowers in the boulder flowerbed.I set out 2 bright yellow & 1 hot pink pot in that area just to see.And it brings your eye right over to that area.

Joyluck,I know the watering may be the worst part everyday.And getting a dark suntan.I got blistered yesterday.I didn't even think of getting out the sunscreen.I will have it on tomorrow.Smile I do want this area full with plants.But I want to be able to see the mulch too.I tend to over do the plants on the patio.LOL. We had a plan years ago.I worked full time and never finished planting anything.I have searched Drift roses last night.Interesting.I know roses are a job it's self.I was even thinking of Heler holly bushes,the types that mound.I have never trimed the Verbena and I know I should.I hope I can get that done Monday.

VeraEllen.Thank you for your advice.I'm honored you commented.Smile I know I would get great advice if I posted my ulgy pics.LOL.I want this done now but I know that is my down fall.I agree plan this out slowly.I trust everyone on this board and know the tried and true members.I have to admit I need some plants at different heights.

Nance,Beautiful slope and THANK YOu for sharing your picture.I am saving it with your name listed.A great detailed list of planta & your plan.I am drooling here.Wink I knew my friend wold give great advice here.SOme of these plants I know of some I don't.SO I'll be searching late again tonight on the puter.
I know it will be a lot of hard work,watering and up keep every year.But it is worth it by relaxing and watching it grow.DH likes to just dig a hole & drop it in.UGH...that has been a small issue here.I had to dig u some stuff yesterday DH planted randomly.Extra work.I know it needed planned and even if it took a check list every month,year to add things.In a few years it would have been beautiful.I'm getting the party started and can add more & more whenever.Smile

These boards ROCK and have some of the BEST truthful advice,sharing of pictures and caring friends.Thank you my friends and even to all the viewers too.Wink

Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
Ok I am admitting if you see any misspelled words and things don't sound right.I had a long 2 days,yesterday & today.LOL...
Yesterday was my 45th bday.I played in the dirt some & got sunburnt.Transplanted several plants DH just dropped in the ground no thought of how it would look later.Some from his flowerbed to my rock bed.Had a great day just looking at this slope and thinking of ideas.
Today ran around looking at plants,flowers getting things in order.We have a huge jockey lot-flea market on Wed.So we decided to look at plants,shrubs & good prices out there.

I looked at some hollys,Knock out roses,yellow bells,Guaras,columbines,bleeding heart bushes,evergreen trees,grasses and lots of beautiful plants.Got great ideas.I need to draw out some kind of plans or learn the Landscape program on the puter ,fast.
I do see NOW what I need to add,heights and texture on this slope.I have tomorrow to work some,then Friday take Dad to Dr. in next county.It's going to rain this weekend,So it will be a great time to draw up plans.Then on Monday START...

We have talked about spending more than we want,YEAH me!!I know mulching would be around 125.00 and rest spent on plants.We will do all the work ourselves.DH can only help on weekends,he'll do the heavy lifting & digging too.I can do the smaller planting,ect throught the week.
One thing found out today the door ajar buzzer in car keeps ringing nonstop.UGH.Checked on getting it fixed.It now my interrupt some funds.But even if its still @ 300.00.That can be done & add some each month in time.It will still make an impact here.

I was reading the posts to DH B4 he left for work.He said advice sounds wonderful and thanks for the help.I told him we needed that edger,to keep grass from over taking that slope and smothering out everything.He was very,very quiet...LOL.he loves his sod and is proud it has taken root & running.We did it ourselves 2 yrs.ago.Hard work but we did it & saved **.
I said we can transplant those pieces cut up to other parts of the yard that needs help.LOL...we will see.
I'm sorry for being so long winded.I get EXCITED & HAPPY and talk talk talk,type type type.LOL Smile

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the nice comments re our slope. I really think the dark brown (black) mulch made a huge difference in the look. One of our box stores (might have been Lowe's) was selling it for $1/bag last summer and I jumped on it and bought about 20 bags! Smile
I love the color! The only thing is the dark color attracts heat and seemed to dry the soil out faster. Gotta take the good with the bad.

Jackie, another idea you can do is put 4 layers of wet newspapers down on top of the soil, then put your 3-4" of mulch over it. That added step will prevent those weeds for the first year and then break down into the soil. It's a pain to put the paper if there's any bit of wind, but persevere, it's worth it.

Wish I lived closer, I'd help you with the planting. I love doing that! Smile (as long as DH digs the hole and loosens the soil)

p.s. Most of those sedums were grown from one leaf from a regular plant. Just stick it in the ground and away it grows. Last year was the second year of growth for some of those on the edges. They are the coolest plant!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nance425,

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
quote:
.I know when I posted the true ugly pics on here I am ready to tackle this area.

Hey, not ugly, just an unfinished painting!Smile

Hope your Birthday was nice, other than getting fried by the sun!

Keep in mind that Bleeding Hearts will be done in about 1 month & the foliage turns yellow. Then you cut them to the ground.

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Jackie,

Happy Birthday! You are still a youngster!

Do you have a sprinkler system for your yard? We used one of the existing sprinkler lines and put in mini-sprinklers for the garden beds. It was a fairly easy and inexpensive project. The white pvc can be covered with mulch so it doesn't show either.

LOL at your DH and the attachment to the grass. Each time I edged our gardens a little more grass went away. More room for plants...SHHH!

Nance, Your slope design is pretty. Love the height of the grass along the back of the area. Great inspiration!

Wouldn't it be fun to come and help Jackie with her slope garden?

Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wouldn't it be fun to come and help Jackie with her slope garden?

It would! And if we each bring 3 plants with us she will be almost done! Smile

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Beau - we're on a corner so I wanted something for privacy. I had arborvitaes, but they burned out or the deer ate them.

On the backside of the Karls, we have Blue Muffin Viburnum. Anxious to see how they fill out. This will be year 2 after putting in

Jackie, Viburnums are another plant you may want to think about on the top of your slope. All kinds of viburnums and they are maintenance free, plus flowers in the spring. No climbing up the hill to prune unless you want to.

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Beau's Rose, LOVE how you used paint to show your ideas. I smile because I do the same. It's how I show my dh how I want something to look. However, I have also found I can take images of items online and paste them so MY drawings don't have to be deciphered.

I used to think I never wanted a slope. However, various talented designers have demonstrated MANY ideas on HGTV & DIY how to make "the problems" into beautiful areas. Their visions have been inspiring.

Hope you find your plan, jackierenette.

Posts: 5044 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
About pine straw (pine needles) as mulch. That is mainly what I use down here in S.W. Ga. and so do most other folks around.
It doesn't encourage insects any more than any other mulch down here.
The things to stay away from, and I haven't seen them lately in our area, are cotton seed mulch or pecan shell mulch. Cotton has problems with herbicides that have been sprayed on them and pecan shells are oily and WILL bring in roaches!
Pine straw is slick enough though that it could easily slide down your slope or it would be hard for you to climb up it walking on the pine straw.

I like the idea of the crape myrtles at the bottom. You can let them grow or you can "murder" them every year (cut them back).

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4305 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
I saw this on the web.They are so cute.

So you think I should paint those bolders into huge Lady Bug,Bumble Bee or a turtle. Smile LOL... My 5&7 yr.old grankids would never go out to play.They are scared of bees.LOL

Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
After doing some crayon drawings last week. Hehehe. And playing in paint on the puter. I made a plan. Went out looking at nurserys,Lowes,web,ect. Some plants I cant find just yet. I'm not rushing thou.

We made decision to go ahead with Knock out roses, Soft touch Holly's staggered and Variegated Privets at the top lined up with posts.I know they will be work to prune but we wanted yellow or white plants. I don't mind if they get bigger. The Variegated Privet will have white as contrast too. I will fill in over time.

I bought some white Sandworts & Salvia to plant here too but have changed my mind. Planted Salvia around the rock boulders. And planted a few Sandworts in pots on the patio. Have 3 more to find a home.I do have Daisys & Candy Tuff & Stella de Ors I can transplant too. Then fill in monthly.

Also I'm going to take up the rock boarder at the bottom, you cant even see them now. Then use them as a focal design on the slope as mentioned.And some in the flower beds too. Going to sit some pots on top of them, like in the pix Beaus Rose posted.

We have had a lot of rain over the weekend & coming this week.But we got 12 holes dug on that slope.It was compacted bad and rain softened it some.Now if the rain holds off some this weekend.
Here is the rock bed planted & ready for mulch.I cant wait.Smile I mulch right over the daffs leafs & they still some back.

Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
Here is the front yard slope.13 yrs ago,we planted these Verbena & Candy Tuff.The verbena has smothered out the candy tuff.I wanted color and still have it.We don't have to weed this area much either.
I will work on adding some evergreens here this fall or next year.
Any ideas & advice is welcome here too.

posted Hide Post
Your verbena are gorgeous in that last picture. I didn't know they would last that many years. I don't have a lot of experience with verbena so I was reading about them and thought it said they petered out after a few years. Yours definitely did not do that.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
What gorgeous verbena!! I can't get it to last here in my sand.

You've gotten some very good advice here and the only thing I'd add is this. Buy the RIGHT plant for the location. If you don't want to keep trimming or pruning stuff, buy the smaller varieties of plants. One of my pet peeves is "murdering" crepe myrtles (or any other plant). There must be nearly a hundred different varieties out there, so do some research on their mature size before planting.

It's going to be beautiful when you get finished. Oh, and I love those boulders lining the bed. I'd just edge/weed whack around them myself.

Good luck.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6198 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, I'm being lazy and I only read the first 10 or so posts.

If this were my yard, I would probably plant 3 trees (probably River birch) spread out along the top. In the middle section, I would fill in with shrubs (either evergreen or even flowering type like spirea). In the two outer sections, I would fill in with large grasses, like Miscanthus to fill in the space. The rest of the area, I would use the perennials you listed (iris', daylilies, salvia, poppies, etc).

I hope that makes sense.

Happily married and mom of 4
Central maryland - Zone 7

Posts: 7650 | Location: Maryland, USA | Registered: Jun 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
theoriginalfluffy,Thank you. The verbena is suppose to be trimmed when too leggy.I never have done anything to it. I have went to this bed and dug some up to put in pots and gave away some too.It still has blooms all over it in the winter here.We don't have winters here thou.Smile

Flordiafarmgirl,I love these boards.Here is the best people ever & advice too.Smile I'm still researching plants & shrubs.I do like crepe Myrtles too.I have a mile long list of wants.LOL. If I cant find the privats I'm wanting crepe myrtles is my 2nd choice, the white ones.
I agree about murdering plants,flowers and trees.I done away with some red verbena on Sat.DH transplanted some growing too low on slope.Then was still lots more,I took the hoe to it.I was cringing and praying at the same time.
Another flower bed,has 4 butterfly tree-bushes in it.I hadn't trimmed them back either.Because of 3 bird nest.They are tri-colored,laven.,white & yellow blooms.I did trim back the front of limbs last week.They need some serious trim on dead limbs,very thick limbed.Told DH they will be cut way back next Feb.Start new and fresh.

Forsensicmom,I am honored by your advice too.Thank you and your suggestions make sense to me.I know it's how much I work at it and make plans.I just wish I had many peoples skills & knowledge of plants.
I had duh huh moment.I never even thought of River birch and they are another favorite of mine.I love how they look in yards.It would provide privacy if we take down the fence later too.I am going to search the ones you listed and try to find out location to buy them.I am having a hard time at the nursery around here finding shrubs I like.UGH...

I went to a nursery that has been here since 1906,had a man hitting on me.I kept talking about hubby doing the digging & lifting.It didn't stop him any.I left and will go back with DH.It was huge,had acres of all kinds of shrubs.I was in heaven til that man wanted to help.LOL

Thank you all for your advice.Smile

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
I have a small clump of perennial verbena started......can't wait until it looks like yours. That is totally awesome.

I agree, you need something to break up that incline. Suggest 3 trees, or 3 clumps of grasses at the pivot point of the retaining wall...UNLESS you want to line the top part of your lawn with trees. You could still do that and have a half circle bed at the curve of the wall. Love that verbena!

ve

Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
originalfluffy,there is some purple verbena that is not hardy.It's an annual,these are very hardy.I forgot to say that.

VE,I am going out tomorrow looking for some grasses,Spirea,privets and more too.LOL.It's a sunny day tomorrow. I should stay at home & work outside but if I buy some we can plant this wkend.yeah..

posted Hide Post
Jackie - I would stay away from privets, unless you want a large hedge. I bought some a few years ago thinking they would stay small shrubs (tag say 3-4' tall and wide). They get HUGE and we have to trim them back several times a year.

Happily married and mom of 4
Central maryland - Zone 7

Posts: 7650 | Location: Maryland, USA | Registered: Jun 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being a rural city gal I had to look to see where your from. In north thanks to glaciers, rocks are a plenty all one has to do is drive rural and ask the farmer if you can tote some home. Larger boulders are more of a problem. But you can make your own fake ones with cement and other like a tufta [ did I spell that right].

http://www.northcoastgardening...4/heather-and-heath/
With my own particular likes I am jealous of your verbena and your creeping wild phlox.

I myself would incorporate heather or heath for expanse of color spots with rockery.http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/80230-product.html#.UYUtHKLP3d0
http://www.houzz.com/photos/16...---Heath--landscape-
I am not a grass lover, though occasonal pics convert me temporarily. But these heath pics thrill me all the same. Though I am more of an english gardner at heart.

But maybe with some kind of evergreen so it looks good in winter too. I am envious. loved this thread to see how we all think.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: loverofdesign,

Posts: 4563 | Location: midwest | Registered: Aug 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
Here is a little update on our slope and flower bed.I put these in a collage.We got 8 salavias planted around rock boulders,red verbena in between rocks and 2 yellow ? in front of boulders and 2 iris' (pale lavenders) planted form Lowes behind boulders.
Planted 2 daisys at curve in this area.May change my mind.

In the last few weeks I have not got anything done.UGH...I had got all the weeds gone on the slope and beds.Then had tons of rain,family came down and stayed way longer than expected and DM has been in hospital 2 times also.That was the most exhausted,staying day & night.Trading off with 1 Sis at night to stay.

The next 3 days is going to be mulch time around the yard.YEAH!!!I have got to fill in a lot but I can do that now or later.I am wanting to plant Stella de Ors in front of knock out roses and fill in with daisys,Iris' & more.I will post pics this weekend when we finish.

Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
This was my DH flower bed.He would just plop bulbs in the ground,NO thought or plan.UGH.I did some work to it.3 yrs.ago, we planted the salvias and last yr. 3 red knock out roses and loroipe has always been there.I put 2 yellow Lantanas in the black pots,thinking of planting them there.I did replant 3 loroipe on Monday this week and dug up all loroipe at slope.I gave most to DD#1.

Just needs black mulch added.May add rocks to sit black pots on from rock boarder.

I want to Thank all who gave advice and donated to me.I know it still has tons of work and plants to add. I am working on it.Still open to advice.And these Butterfly trees are getting a huge trim next Feb. way back.

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
It still looks good Jackie......just give it a couple of years. You're going to be so happy with your results.

ve