Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  I have an admission to make
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have an admission to make Sign In/Join 
posted
I've been a bad gardener this year. I did NOT plant ANY veggies or even clean the beds out. The rest of my gardens are in OK shape but I planted a new hydrangea TWICE and forgot to water.

Now it's this yucky part of the summer when things are turning brown and don't look good. Sigh!

My life has just been so super busy this year that I didn't have the time. The kids go back to school on Monday and I'm really looking forward to being able to spend time in the garden.

Happily married and mom of 4
Central maryland - Zone 7

Posts: 7650 | Location: Maryland, USA | Registered: Jun 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
Goodness, with four sweet kids I can see why you did not have time for the garden.

Posts: 4776 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
That's ok, it's your time and your garden. A garden is for your personal enjoyment, so stressing yourself out trying to do one when you don't have time takes the fun out of it. Your time will come!

ve

Posts: 3212 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
Don't beat yourself up over this. Sometimes life gets in the way and we just have to go with the flow. I have been there myself several times.

Posts: 15212 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSTR (Stop & Smell the Roses)
posted Hide Post
Ditto to everything the gals above said!!

Posts: 679 | Location: TX Gulf coast, zone 9 | Registered: Mar 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Sometimes life is like that and no need to blame yourself. I've also had a less than stellar gardening year because I was away for a couple of weeks in June and since then we've had virtually no rain. I did not keep up with watering as was necessary so some plants have been stressed. Everything will survive but they've gone to seed sooner than normal and most have been deadheaded or weedwhacked so it's not pretty. Some plants are coming back with a lot of watering so it may look better in a couple of weeks.

Good motto for disappointed gardeners - "Next year will be better".

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12611 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Feel for ya! Been there! You do what you can!
Glad to hear life will be taking a happy turn shortly! Miss your contributions! We all have to do what is most important first!

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12470 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vera ellen:
That's ok, it's your time and your garden. A garden is for your personal enjoyment, so stressing yourself out trying to do one when you don't have time takes the fun out of it. Your time will come!

ve

Couldn't have said it better! We all need to remember this.

Posts: 10353 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joyluck:
Sometimes life is like that and no need to blame yourself. I've also had a less than stellar gardening year because I was away for a couple of weeks in June and since then we've had virtually no rain. I did not keep up with watering as was necessary so some plants have been stressed. Everything will survive but they've gone to seed sooner than normal and most have been deadheaded or weedwhacked so it's not pretty. Some plants are coming back with a lot of watering so it may look better in a couple of weeks.

Good motto for disappointed gardeners - "Next year will be better".

And mine has been the opposite...so wet I can't keep up! My new raised beds did a great job of drowning most of the stuff I planted in them. The weeds & crab grass are growing so fast there is just no way with all the rain we have had.
Another 2 1/2" tonight...total since Aug. 13 is 14.5"!

I know most of us gardeners have adopted the saying, but I think it originated with the old time farmers..."There's always next year."

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4365 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
It has been raining every day here for the last two months. My gardens are so overgrown it looks like a jungle out there. Everything is so lush and green, and so are the weeds.

I'm not going out to work until it's in the lower 80's. That's it....I'm not going to torture myself about it.

The weeds will just have a grand ol'party until the end of September.

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has a life. It's hard for me when I realize I can't do it all but also nice too. I felt guilty for awhile that I didn't plant veggies but then I got over it and said "maybe next year".

Happily married and mom of 4
Central maryland - Zone 7

Posts: 7650 | Location: Maryland, USA | Registered: Jun 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post