Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Can you help me identify the perennials
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you help me identify the perennials Sign In/Join 
posted
Please? I think this is sort of shaded the walkway I think runs north and south. Big trees more south for the hostas, etc. neighbors tree to the east. I am mainly wanting to know the right side of the path. the little button flowers. sorry it's not all that clear. And too maybe what the ribbon leafed plant is

Posts: 4563 | Location: midwest | Registered: Aug 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is this purple plant a vine, do you think?

Posts: 4563 | Location: midwest | Registered: Aug 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sorry the pics seem blurry. in all it's kb's it seems clearer. shrinkng down leaves a lot to be desired.

posted Hide Post
The little purple flowered plant does not vine...I can't think of the name of it...I have some. I do know when the flowers die, deadhead them and they will rebloom. The long leaved skinny plant in the picture above looks like Batchelor Buttons. Not sure what the small white flowers are.

love life

Posts: 1423 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Purple plant looks like columbine.

Posts: 3048 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
The purple plant looks like columbine to me. Cut off the seed heads if you don't want a trillion more next spring. Not sure about either of your other plants, but was wondering if the white buttons might not be candytuff. Have no clue on the grass.

Beautiful pathway!

ve

ve

Posts: 3177 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys the pic was taken in late june or was it july a few years ago on garden tour.

posted Hide Post
I was wondering if the white might be in the Achillea family. it's just that I don't thing of them being dappled shade type plants. I see there are bulbs with small flowers too. but not sure if they are button like. Feverfew is a different kind of green foilage, but don't remember what the flowers look like. Cerastium is gray foilage.

Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Yes, the purple flowers are columbine. They bloom once a year, not a re-blooming. The white buttons could be Candytuft, but I don't think so...another choice is Feverfew...little white mums.

The ribbon leaf plant...the bluish one? Not sure, but the one in front of that is Astilbe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7701 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yeah, wish my camera did white better- I do like the purple plant -- columbines are pretty. love bell like flowers. Especially in that violet color. She has some thing further up too by the black trellis on the wall but I didn't get a good look at it.

I guess it doesn't matter, as Long as it matches the time of bloom with the others and fits my soil and sun. I hadn't thought to mix the blue with the purple slightly indirectly like that. If it is endless summer one will have to watch the aluminum or it could have a whole other look. lol. I will have to look to see if
annabelle Hydrangea blooms the same time as my endless summmer and will be behind endless summer nearer to the rose.. I also am going for this by mmoms cherry red rose which more or less blooms small blooms all summer. Behind will be catmint. Spring is little bushes of translplanted peony.If it isn't too much I have my new wisteria close by which had to be trimmed a little this spring[ I hope that wasn't a mistake] I have this grassy stuff too for the yellow green color like the ladies mantle though the leaves of the ladies mantle fit better. Love the idea of adding in bachelor buttons.

It may be too shady for english bells, Not sure
I do have a campanula with bells that might work. or Bellflowers. And I have the wild lady bells that might do okay there too. Astilbe is further up the line and further down the line. And I have similar hostas. I don't have the small fern??? Don't have the coral bells, but will before sommer is over. Oh well, I 'll take my dreaming off line.

thanks so much for the help 16paws, May, Vera ellen.

posted Hide Post
Dont know if white flower is different or the same as these -

This message has been edited. Last edited by: loverofdesign,

posted Hide Post
mgt- and others looking at an angle, I think too it is the columbine. so dainty looking.

I had kind of thought it could be something like this, but guess not

http://urbanext.illinois.edu/h...ID=537&PlantTypeID=5

This message has been edited. Last edited by: loverofdesign,

Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Nope, it's columbine, fer sure. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7701 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post