Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Marigolds -learned something today
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marigolds -learned something today Sign In/Join 
Picture of nance425
posted
Plant only the old variety if using them to ward off bugs in the garden.

Apparently, the newer varieties have lost some of the smell that repels the bad bugs.

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
How can you tell the difference - maybe smelling them? Are the older varieties the smaller flowers?

Posts: 10352 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
Everyone I plant smells. That's what I enjoy about them. I love the smell on my hands aftr I dea head them. Mom always called them stinkweeds. She disliked the smell.

Posts: 15207 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never minded the scent of marigolds, either. Lots of people can't stand their smell. Used them frequently when we had the guy on the next street who sold annuals from his greenhouses. Got them 80% off after July. He and his greenhouses are gone now. Miss him, his wife, their flowers and even their dogs.

Posts: 663 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
i think these from burpee may not smell as much but not sure:

French Vanilla
Snowball
snowdrift

Our garden center had Shawna Coronado in to speak about organic veggie gardens and she mentioned it.
www.shawnacoronado.com

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post