Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Winter Sowing Update
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winter Sowing Update Sign In/Join 
Picture of Wavy
posted
I finally put out 5 containers a few weeks ago and 5 more the following week. Only a few have started to germinate outside already. (Giant Zinnias and my Sunflowers) Not much else has popped up yet (it's only been a couple of weeks). How is everyone else's winter sowing coming along? Anyone transplant their seedlings to their permanent homes yet?

SPRING HAS F I N A L L Y SPRUNG!!!!!

Posts: 453 | Location: "The Garden State" ~ N.J. | Registered: Jul 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Natta thing going on here since we've had ice and snow.

Thanks for starting this post. I look forward to seeing results from others in warmer climate to encourage me. Smile

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have tomato sprouts, dahlia sprouts, purple hyacinth bean sprouts and snapdragon sprouts. I guess I should go out and take some pictures.

Too early even here to put in the ground yet...even with several days of warm temps, the ground is still cold...plus, they are too tiny yet anyway.

ve

Ok, went out and snapped a few pix

dahlias in milk jugs

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vera ellen,

Posts: 3161 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Snapdragons in a long planter..I covered the top with an old piece of window glass.

Posts: 3161 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
heirloom tomatoes in milk jugs

Picture of Wavy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Vera, how cute they are! I can't believe you planted "Snapdragons". I just planted Snapdragon seeds a few days ago! As I was planting them I thought to myself "I bet NO ONE ELSE ever plants these seeds".... I never see anyone mention these flowers. I had the seeds from a few yrs. ago & figured I might as well plant them again this yr (haven't planted them in a couple of yrs.) I just noticed my Petunias outside just started to sprout!
The truth is the seeds I started indoors are NOT doing that well for some unknown reason. I am so disappointed you have no idea. I have a sneaky feeling the winter sown seeds will be more successful and next yr. I will end up winter sowing LOTS of them!
This is a fun experiment and I am just enjoying myself. Geez, the simplest things make me happy nowadays, playing with worms today and feeding the birds in the late afternoon.... sigh :>D

Posts: 453 | Location: "The Garden State" ~ N.J. | Registered: Jul 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Wavy, down here snap dragons & pansies are winter flowers. They can't take our heat during the summers so folks plant them for winter color. And petunias don't take the heat so well either but they do fine in the early spring and later in the fall.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4299 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Wavy, I love the old fashioned flowers, snapdragons, hollyhocks, larkspur..Karen sent me some larkspur transplants. Did the happy dance.

These should have been planted in February...like Karen said, they like the cool weather. I usually do them, they bloom, then I shear them off.....and often get a new lesser wave of blooms in the fall. They don't like our summer heat at all.

I'm so glad that simple things make you happy. You'd be surprised at the people who overlook simple pleasures. Playing with worms! Good Girl!

ve

Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
I haven't been doing seeds for too many years but this year I did better than last. I've got yellow pear tomatoes and some different type of cucumber, moonflower, allysum, hot peppers, dill, cilantro, basil all coming up and many in their permanent homes. Forget-me-nots, I threw out in a bed and I hope they come up. I'm pretty pleased with the results this year.

Posts: 1089 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wavy
posted Hide Post
Hi Karen, I did not know that Snapdragons were cool weather flowers. I just thought people didn't plant them, now I know why! I knew that Pansies were cool weather flowers, and I often see them in flower pots in very early spring. I love Petunias!! I have a lot of luck with them, as seedlings too. I think they are very easy to grow and I like dead-heading them. They begin to look ratty in August, after the caterpillars have discovered them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Wavy,

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
So excited!!! My first time winter sowing. I've got lettuce coming up. Mother Nature didn't disappoint me even thru our ice storm, snow and unusually cold temps for April!!!

Of course, you have to look really close, but see the green poking thru. Smile

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wavy
posted Hide Post
Yes, they are definitely sprouting, cool!!!
I am wondering if some seeds need much warmer temps for a prolonged period of time for them to sprout. For example, my Morning Glories did not sprout at all. I thought those would sprout really fast, considering in some parts of the country they are invasive (not here). My Sunflowers are doing great, but it is still too cool to transplant them. I really want to know if most flowers require warm temps for a while to sprout(?) Anyone?
Nance, this your first, right? I heard on TV that there was snow in Minn last week!!! I couldn't believe it, then I REMEMBERED that Minn. is one of those states with A LOT OF SNOW! (I forgot about that, I once worked with a girl originally from Minn. a long time ago.)

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
wavy - yep, first time trying winter sowing.
and yep, we got snow, but not a whole lot yesterday. Previous, we had a little ice storm. Frown

If we can get thru next week, I think the weather is changing for the better. (light snow for Monday). We're all tired of it up here. I think all the ones complaining are gardeners! Smile

I just bought Heavenly Blue morning glories seeds. someone said they had good luck with WS'ing them. After your comment, I said "O, no!" But the packet was only .19 so if it doesn't work out....

Picture of Wavy
posted Hide Post
Your Morning Glory seeds will do fine. I had the same, Heavenly Blue, and they grew for me, (the regular way). These seeds were gathered from my Morning Glory flowers about 3 yrs. ago. I was so jealous of Muddy's gorgeous Morning Glories that I decided to try again this year! I just went out and realized that the containers looked a little dry, so I just watered everything ~ and discovered my first Morning Glory coming up! (I just planted a few more seeds in that container just in case!)

Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
You know you all have me so interested that I think I am going to try this next year. I just have to figure out when I need to plant them.

Posts: 15197 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post