Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who Dun It? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted
Okay, have some problems again. I found a teeny-tiny bottle of "brandy" by my shrubs. It wasn't mine so I tossed it right back on the other side on my backyard neighbor's property.
This is not the first time I found things tossed on my side, i.e. soda cans, water bottle, a juice box. None of this garbage is mine. I think it belongs to the teenage DD of my backyard neighbor.
Who would you guess tossed this little bottle of brandy on my side:
The man who lives there?
His teenage daughter?
A skwirl?
A bird?
Do these people think I won't find it anytime soon? The summer barely started and this crap is happening. I tossed it right back onto their side. What would you have done???
Signed: Furious....

Posts: 2238 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
I'd speak to the parents. If it is the teenage daughter the parents may want to know their daughter is drinking and hiding it from them. Be nice when you speak to them and tell them of your concerns. Speak to both parents at the same time if you can just in case it's one of the parents hiding their drinking from the other spouse. If it's a tiny bottle it's probably the daughter unless you have spotted any any drunk racoons in your area. Racoons will get into the garbage cans and drink liquid from bottles.

Posts: 2641 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
I used to find packets of ketchup in my backyard. Now who the heck was tossing them there? I finally caught the culprits in the act, it was crows. They love fast food thrown out of car windows and ketchup packets are a favorite. Yet they never bothered my cherry tomatoes. I also seen them flying with a rat in their beak.

I've also seen crows play with objects they find. I lived in apartment at one time that had a sky light. The crows found a small metal triangle and used to play with it on top of the skylight. They had to have carried that metal triangle from somewhere else.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: still tryin,

Posts: 2641 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd be surprised if it was a crow that threw/dropped that bottle on your side of the fence. LOL

Posts: 657 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
My daughter told me someone has been stealing garden ornaments OUT of their yard. They don't want to keep adding if things are going to be taken. I suggested a camera to catch the culprit in the act. And they've already considered this option. How sad neighbors have to go to this extreme!

Posts: 5048 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same thing happened to my s-i-l's front yard. So she put everything in the back yard that couldn't be reached. Sad state of affairs when you can't display simple ornaments....

Posts: 657 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
Still Tryin,
I love that Cat Avatar, so cute!!! I have 2 cats how many do you have?
I never talked to those backyard neighbors. They aren't friendly, and the wife once complained when I pruned my shrubs a little too much a few yrs. ago. She said she has no privacy now (it was in March).(they grew back) It's my shrubs I can do whatever I want with them. I believe it was deliberately tossed there, maybe by their DD. It was underneath my shrub. Don't think a skwirl did that because of the location, but I have seen skwirls steal my ant baits that I put out. I was furious when he ran up the tree with it!
Yes, people steal ornaments from in front of houses here too. Every year since we've put them out, the Solar Lights in front of my house have always been stolen/broken. Never fails. A flag I had in front of my house was stolen. I never put anything of value in front of my house (surprisingly they never stole chimes I had hanging in front!) I have to buy some new chimes (on sale?) I love chimes!
I always think it's probably teenagers or young kids, not sure, but it is annoying.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Waverider ;),

Posts: 2238 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
For those of you have things stolen...yes, I live rural and not in any kind of an urban setting, but I still had some of those lights stolen.
I went to town, bought a poster board, bought some wooden slats to use for stakes and came home. I wrote on the poster board, stapled it to the slats, took it down by the road and pounded those things into the ground. My message....
Someone stole my color changing, solar lights. Do you know who? Please contact the sheriff with info!
And yes, I had reported the theft to our sheriff's dept even though my cost for the lights was only about $10.

ETA....
Wavie, as much trouble as you have had with these people I might be tempted to put up a sign facing their yard....
My yard is NOT a garbage dump! Please keep your trash on your side of the fence!
Thank you!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ga.karen,

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4323 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
good idea karen, but I'm betting that will just bring on more things thrown over the fence. simply because "you can't tell me what I can & can't do!". people like that will do what they want no matter who doesn't like it. I think I would just put a trash can there hoping it will be used rather than the lawn. at least then it won't have to be picked up. if you can't fight it, do something about it.

cheryl hill

Posts: 373 | Location: lansing, MI u.s.a. | Registered: Aug 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post