Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Catalpa Tree? Sign In/Join 
posted
There is a new fast growing tree in the field next door. It has very large heart shaped leaves and pods apx 2' long. There are no catalpas in the area...could this been from a bird just dropping seeds??? And does anyone have any pics....Z5 Southern NH. Also, is this a good tree ? Thanks, Jan

Posts: 656 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Barb in Mississippi
posted Hide Post
I also have one of these. you need to google a picture of it, it is a very impressive tree. I don't have a picture of mine, but the ones on google are really nice.
Around June or July they get these big, fat, green caterpillars on the leaves and they make wonderful bait for fishing.

Posts: 3139 | Location: Holly Springs, MS USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Thanks for mentioning the catalpa worms, Barb. They are indeed wonderful fish bait. In fact, around home these trees were grown specifically for that reason. The caterpillars actually are the larval stage of a common moth.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Thomas Jefferson grew them at Monticello. Very cool trees. They have small orchard looking flowers in the spring. We had one but a hurricane blew it over.

My grandpa as a child called them monkey cigar trees & they used to smoke the pods.

Are you sure it's not a Redbud?

Posts: 10349 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSTR (Stop & Smell the Roses)
posted Hide Post
We once had a catalpa but had to remove it as it was planted too close to a utility pole. the blossoms are very pretty and smell nice too!

Posts: 679 | Location: TX Gulf coast, zone 9 | Registered: Mar 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
WOWEEEE Pretty!!!

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12448 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Catalpa trees, you say you want catalpa trees? Check out the last picture in this real estate listing: http://hreo.com/html/out_large...ort=&limit=9&styles=

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chuck Steak,

Posts: 732 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Barb in Mississippi
posted Hide Post
I finally found the picture of what you were talking about. It's the last picture of the first listing, on your link.
I bet that is GORGEOUS when they are all in bloom!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Barb in Mississippi,

Posts: 3139 | Location: Holly Springs, MS USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are not very good looking in winter, kind of eerie and other-worldly. Google maps street view shows them quite well in the off season. 66 Seafield Lane Westhampton Beach NY is the address.

Posts: 732 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or those the ones that ae trimmed back every year and develope a thick lump that the new branches emerge from in te spring? If so my in laws had them. We had very few kids come to the house on Halloween because they thought the house was haunted and that was one of the reasons.

Posts: 6722 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metwo:
Or those the ones that ae trimmed back every year and develope a thick lump that the new branches emerge from in te spring? If so my in laws had them. We had very few kids come to the house on Halloween because they thought the house was haunted and that was one of the reasons.

That sounds like crape myrtle...aka crape murder when they cut them back every year.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4308 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post