Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Pots pics please!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pots pics please! Sign In/Join 
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Wow Zone9alady! I don't know where to begin! Beautiful pots! Love the blue & yellow. Love the fairy on the column. The pots with the yellow daisy like flowers are just gorgeous! Pergola pots are awesome! The front courtyard is perfect!

I totally enjoyed all of your pictures! Thanks so much for sharing!

Posts: 10354 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
This is a great thread - thanks Patty for starting it and to everyone who posted such pretty pics! Now I'm really getting antsy to start my containers but it's still too early here - frost this am. I went to 2 garden centers yesterday so know at least some of the plants I will buy in a couple of weeks and bought a bale of potting soil and today got all my containers out ready to plant.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12611 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Lucky how many months of warm weather do you have?

Posts: 10354 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 88hazel
posted Hide Post
I'm still enjoying this thread so much! We really are a bunch of picture fanatics aren't we? The more the merrier!!

Jeanette, that is wonderful that you have so many things come back from the previous year. It would really save us here in the colder zones to not have to replace those every year! I loved your creativity with gluing the angel on that pedestal, and trailing that sweet potato vine out of the broken section of pot. and that clock out by the pool??? Fantastic! Is it weather-proof? We have been wanting an outdoor clock for awhile, but want something more along the lines of what you have. Please share where your purchased it?

Z9--love your pots too! And what I like most about them is they are easy and simple, yet they are beautiful! I noticed most just have one single variety of plant in them, with no more than 2, if I looked correctly. That is one of the more daunting challenges of container gardening for me--remembering the "thriller, filler, spiller" rule, or placing a plant that likes things a little dry in with something that likes lots of water, or a shade lover with a sun lover, etc. etc. etc.! I like your "simple but beautiful" approach!!

Karen
Zone 5b

Posts: 1516 | Location: St. Joseph MO; Zone 5b | Registered: Apr 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I love the "thriller,filler,spiller" concept too, but I can hardly keep up with one type in each pot. Just started to add two...
Maybe one day I'll get there. Big Grin

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7290 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Zone 9 - how long do your pansies last in your zone? do you have to remove and plant something else in that pot with the white flowers? alysuum?

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
When I got the pansies last fall, they were this new trailing variety. They usually don't like the heat but now I'm finding tiny white seedlings blooming in the shade. April is usually the last month for pansies down here.

In one pot I put some parsley plants with the alyssum. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zone9alady,

Posts: 7290 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Wow! Great pots everyone. I just did some of mine over the weekend, but no pics yet.

Hopefully this thread will still be alive when I get to it.

Oh and, I have to replace all of my potato vine. Apparently, they don't like the cold. Frown

Wanda

Posts: 4801 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
WaveThank You Ladies! Truly enjoyed this!

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12487 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patty louise:
Lucky how many months of warm weather do you have?

Short answer is 3 *sometimes*! Wink

Explanation: In theory we can get frost at any month of the year, however rarely after beginning of June and usually safe until the end of August. In other places I've lived (more southerly) the May long weekend (19-21 May this year) is traditional for putting out annuals and I still do that, in fact sometimes a bit earlier. So 3 months of summer but May and September are usually pretty nice and can be warm - that is in the 70's. It very rarely gets really hot here - 95F is the record high and that was decades ago. Even October can be nice but usually frost at night. Usually 6 months of decent weather and 6 months of winter! It's very often sunny here tho so looks warmer than it is even in the cold months. Dry climate with 20" total annual precipitation (rain and snow). Great climate if one likes winter which I do.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12611 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jvelo
posted Hide Post
Wow....what a collection of wonderful pots!
I'm drooling too. So hard to pick a favorite.

Now I have to get out and go shopping for some pots and plants. Mine pots are so plain, and currently mostly empty!

Posts: 3243 | Location: Putnam County, NY z5 | Registered: Jun 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Thanks Lucky. 3 months of summer - I think could get used to that. As I get older I find that I am liking winter better.

Picture of 3Dlady*
posted Hide Post
Here are a few of the Spring blooms happening in my gardens this week. Being able to plant almost a month earlier than usual has enabled the containers to fill in quickly.

Retired manager of the universe

Posts: 241 | Location: St.Joseph, MO; zone5B | Registered: Feb 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 88hazel
posted Hide Post
Just Beautiful, Debbie!! Are you using some of your lamium, and what is that variegated grass in your baskets? I love the idea of using perennials in baskets, because otherwise, you just end up trashing them over the winter.

I am just now getting started on my containers--I was too chicken to take a chance on the weather staying nice.

bawk...bawk....bawk!

Karen
Zone 5b

Posts: 1516 | Location: St. Joseph MO; Zone 5b | Registered: Apr 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
3Dlady just beautiful! The yellow lilies are gorgeous! Love the frogs!

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Oooh those were so pretty! My favorite is the concrete urn with the boxwood, begonias and grasses.

I feel an idea theft coming over me. Shhh

Picture of 3Dlady*
posted Hide Post
Karen, the foliage that resembles false lamium is actually Iboza vine. Probably related, but this is an annual. Instead of vining over the baskets and pots, it will stay compact and waterfall over the edges. I love Iboza and have only found one nursery here in town that carries it every year, Mann's on N.Hwy169.

The grassy ones are spider plants. I know it's typically a house plant, but I like the draping shape of the newbies as the plant sends off new shoots. They are in primarily shade, getting less than an hour or so of direct sunlight, so no problem with leaf burn.
As to perennials in the pots....as Karen mentioned on an earlier thread, I like the economy of being able to put them in the landscape in the fall.
The boxwood in the big concrete planter was a very small accent plant 2 yrs ago in that pot. It survived 2010's harsh winter and this past year's easy winter with no apparent difficulty. I may be forced to transplant it this fall if it gets much larger. It does make a nice backdrop for holly, spruce branches and a few ornaments in Dec.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 3Dlady*,

Posts: 241 | Location: St.Joseph, MO; zone5B | Registered: Feb 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
quote:
I feel an idea theft coming over me

Big GrinLOL!

Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
Hey Waverider, I'm in NC. Here's my 27.99 pot from Ollies. I saw some that size at a nursery for $130!

Mom of 3 boys
Zone 7

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 3Dlady*
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theoriginalfluffy:
Hey Waverider, I'm in NC. Here's my 27.99 pot from Ollies. I saw some that size at a nursery for $130!

Jealous, jealous! I love that pot!

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
ooooo nice pot, great price!

posted Hide Post
Some more....most from Ollies really cheap. I feel like I struck the jackpot this year!

Pansies needing to be changed out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: theoriginalfluffy,

Mom of 3 boys
Zone 7

posted Hide Post
Hopefully it will fill in pretty soon.

Mom of 3 boys
Zone 7

posted Hide Post
The two matching pots, plus a glimpse of our new shed and patio.

Mom of 3 boys
Zone 7

posted Hide Post
Patio tomatoes and the other one needs to be planted.

Mom of 3 boys
Zone 7

posted Hide Post
Herbs need some work but here they are.

Mom of 3 boys
Zone 7

posted Hide Post
I love these hens and chicks. Just plant them and forget them.

Mom of 3 boys
Zone 7

posted Hide Post
Just got this one the other day. Need to add some stuff, maybe sweet potato vine.

Mom of 3 boys
Zone 7

posted Hide Post
Another container tomato

Mom of 3 boys
Zone 7

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Wow you did hit the jackpot..with pots! LOL! Lots of nice ones. Love your patio and that cute little pot of hens and chicks.

posted Hide Post
Thanks! Huge compliment coming from you. Smile

Mom of 3 boys
Zone 7

posted Hide Post
Love this posts thread.

Wow, heoriginalfluffy, NC is zone 7? I'm in the MD suburbs of DC, about half way to Annapolis.

I never think of the DC area being the same zone as NC. Never think of our weather as being enough alike to be in the same zone. You all stay a lot warmer in winter -- and get a lot hotter in summer. Same zone...interesting.

Posts: 2513 | Registered: Jun 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Wow you did get some great pots! The pic posted at 7:03 PM looks like an ad for a pot or patio. Beautiful! Love the hens & check also!

Picture of CynthiaJoy
posted Hide Post
gaKaren, just go to the flower place, look at the colors and temperament of stuff you REALLY like. All flowers go together.....nature makes it so. Plant them in your pot, and enjoy!!!! Guaranteed to please!

Judge not, you don't know their story.

Posts: 177 | Location: MI Z5 | Registered: May 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
quote:
All flowers go together.....nature makes it so. Plant them in your pot, and enjoy!!!!

I agree!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theoriginalfluffy:
Thanks! Huge compliment coming from you. Smile

I think it's actually 7B but yeah, I would imagine it's much colder when you are in the winter. We are lucky to get one or two snows a year (I say lucky, others see it differently). This last winter was so mild that even some of my petunias in a hanging basket made it.

Mom of 3 boys
Zone 7

posted Hide Post
I need to pick up some tips from you expertsSmile about how many plants per container.

I have 20 inch pots, so not small by any means, and even one flower seems to take over the entire pot.
I marvel at how all the pots shown here, with multiple flowers seem to work so well, and look so good.

Maybe I'm just concerned I'm overcrowding my pots.

Last year, I put a Sunpatience in a pot with ONE amaryllis and the Sunpatience took over the whole dang thing.
The amaryllis barely got any sun, crowded and shaded out.

This year I have only ONE Jacob's ladder, and the foliage is shading out the zinna sprouts I started around it from seed. I'm mean, they did sprout, they are growing, and WILL get nice and tall. So maybe it's a non-issue after all.

Same thing with a hardy hibiscus. Even in a 20 inch pot there's not much room for anything else.
And a gaura in a pot isn't leaving much other space.

Some of the pots posted here seem smaller than my 20in ones...how are you all getting so much per container.
Is corwding not as big an issue as I think?

Posts: 2513 | Registered: Jun 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Last year I planted a purple petunia with a sweet potato vine. The potato vine totally bullied the petunia until it just gave up & died. This year I planted the potato vines all by themselves! I don't think they want companions.

Here's a pot I just planted with lavender impatiens.

Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
One more with marigolds, purple million bells & some sedum to hang over the side. I have to wait for it to grow up!

Picture of Toots
posted Hide Post
you gals are makin' me tired!!.. I only did two, a matched set by the driveway gate....

http://multiply.com/mu/unfette...vRN3A&nmid=556442128

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Toots,

"Gardening Keeps Me Growing!"

Posts: 26871 | Location: Near Charlotte, NC, zone 7 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3DLady, I love your asiatic lilies with the purple heuchera. What a nice combo!

Mom of 3 boys
Zone 7

Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
Very pretty flower pots & flowers.I just had to bump this one up from last year. Wink

Posts: 2994 | Location: Liberty, S.C. | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL, some of my pots looked pretty sad! Thanks for bumping this up, Jackie. That was fun to look back!

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
O wow, Jackie - thanks for posting this again. How did you do it? These are wonderful pics...as I sit looking out our picture window at "winter wonderland." But the snow is melting everywhere.

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
Nance,I was searching on the last page 24 & way back.It's rainy and bad outside.So I thought lets look at old threads.I have read some great threads and learned lots of info too.Smile

Whenever you comment it bumps them back to the top.Wink

Posts: 2994 | Location: Liberty, S.C. | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ladies all the pots are really pretty.! TFS.

Carlene

Posts: 1398 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post