Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Easiest way to dig holes in the ground?Anybody use a drill??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Easiest way to dig holes in the ground?Anybody use a drill?? Sign In/Join 
posted
I am doing alot of transplanting and dividing this fall and was looking at at better way to dig holes in the ground for planting purposes.I got to thinking has anybody tried a drill with a special bit like an auger?Anybody use anything besides a shovel?

Posts: 251 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: Jul 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
If your soil is so hard you need a drill then it seriously needs amending before planting anything.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12734 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Loonie
posted Hide Post
Dawgs, they have such a tool----has an auger bit attached to a tool that allows bulbs to be planted at just the right depth.

Posts: 458 | Registered: Mar 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a post hole digger to plant all my flowers and trees.

Be happy Be safe

Posts: 1061 | Location: east coast | Registered: Apr 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
If we are trying to plant something with a big root ball or long roots, hubby uses the post hole digger (auger), then we clean out the hole.

Joy - it's obvious that you don't live on a rocky hillside with a clay base - LOL.

ve

Posts: 3580 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have used a hand drill with an auger type bit in it. It was WORK in our rock hard clay....gave it up. The ground was too hard to use it in an electric/cordless drill...it just spun in place.
DH uses our gas powered auger to dig holes for me for tree planting....too many tree roots here to use just the old hand post hole diggers.

Try it once & see if it will work for you.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4845 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What to use to dig a hole in soil depends on what type of hole as well as the type and condition of soil you have. A trowel is a good implement to use for bulb planting, very quick and easy unless the soil you have lacks adequate amounts of organic matter. People that like to separate you from your money do sell auger bits, but I found many years ago that those implements take more time and energy then does a trowel.
For larger areas there are shovels, back hoes, dozers, etc.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8156 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
You have what is called adobe soil. We have it too. Flood with water the day before you are going to dig. The next day you will be able to work it easily.

Posts: 4906 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vera ellen:
Joy - it's obvious that you don't live on a rocky hillside with a clay base - LOL

The native soil on my property is grey clay (altho with few large rocks) that is similar to concrete but making a hole with an auger and planting in it would not be the way to have a healthy plant. Pretty much a waste of money as it sets up the situation which is called the "bathtub effect" especially if back-filling with amended soil.

I've been amending my clay soil for over 16 years and if I miss a year adding organic material in one area I can tell the difference in the soil. It's a constant activity especially in clay soil and the only way to enable plants to survive their expected lifetime. Plants cost money and the saying "dig a $10 hole for a $5 tree" makes sense to me. Even better with inflation is the saying "it is better to plant a $10 tree in a $100 hole than a $100 tree in a $10 hole".

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12734 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Joyluck, I understand and agree with you. When we plant a tree or shrub we do amend the soil before planting...and all my beds started out as lasagna gardens. Each fall I add shredded leaves to them, and if I have any left over, I use shredded leaves as mulch during the summer.

ve

Posts: 3580 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vera ellen:
Joyluck, I understand and agree with you. When we plant a tree or shrub we do amend the soil before planting...and all my beds started out as lasagna gardens. Each fall I add shredded leaves to them, and if I have any left over, I use shredded leaves as mulch during the summer.

ve

I also agree with Lucky. However, in my case, you have to be able to break the crust before you can amend anything. That's not easy here! In some places, like Joy said, we have to soak the soil for a day or two before we can get through that first layer.

Back when DH was putting in water lines with a gas powered line digger, sorta like a tiller, he couldn't even penetrate it with that thing without soaking it first. And since this land was planted pines before we had some cut and before I cleared a lot of it...we still find both living and dead tree roots when we dig. I still have over 30 pine trees in the front yard and there are about 15-20 live oak trees that are 15'-25' tall out there too.
So amending the soil here is NOT easy. Most of my beds have been done with the lasagna method too and most are finally to the point where I can dig in them without breaking an arm. But it has taken years.
I don't have leaves, YET, I have pine straw (needles) and 2 yrs. after getting the layer of pine bark mulch on the beds, they get pine straw from then on.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4845 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post