Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Busy today... Sign In/Join 
Picture of ga.karen
posted
I went to town yesterday and bought broccoli, cauliflower & cabbage plants.
Today, using my garden claw, I "tilled" one of my 3'X12" raised beds and planted 9 of each! And watered it WELL as we are DRY!
I also "tilled" a space about 10'X5' where part of my onion plant order will go. I still need to do the other section so it will be ready when the plants arrive....shipping 11/11/13.

My pallet compost "bins" that I built and filled 2 of....have both sunk about 1" each. Either they are working or they are compacting and getting ready to do some heating/composting!
Now I get to add stuff! Big Grin

Forgot...I also dug up 3 volunteer tomato plants & put them in gallon pots. I think one or 2 of them will stay in the garden house this winter. The other one may get planted outside.
I'll also be planting seeds tomorrow...radish, lettuce, spinach & carrots.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ga.karen,

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4873 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
wow, a winter garden...you are so lucky. I'll be expecting a nice salad when I show up! Smile

That's a lot of work, but gonna be so worth it.

ve

Posts: 3602 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
That is wonderful. I wish I could do that. I have no energy or stamina to do that any more. I went to the dr the other day and they cleaned my right ear--it had a huge ball of wax in it, did blood work and EKG. The EKG was normal. Waiting on blood work. IF that turns out alright they will do a scan of my carotid arteries to see if they are clogged. I hate to say this but I hope they find something wrong so they can fix this problem. I am so sorry to hijacked your post but I am so terribly worried and need to talk about it. My health has hit an all time low this year and I am greatly worried as I am only 62. Of course it could be stress as DD is suffering from leukemia and just had a premie baby girl 4 weeks ago. We travel 40 miles 2x a week to the hospital to visit both. Takes up 7 hours two days a week.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: owie,

Posts: 15322 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
Wow, wow, wow!

Posts: 4921 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
oh owie.. my heart goes out to you. i'll hold you in my thoughts and prayers hoping everything will turn out all right. as one member/friend recently said.. we are a community. and we are here for you.

karen.. good for you. we'll all be coming to your winter's farmers market.

Posts: 3838 | Location: Northern CA Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Owie, I am so sorry about your health problems and your daughters too. Keeping you and your family in my prayers for a successful outcome for all of you.

(((Hugs)))

ve

Posts: 3602 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Owie, You are added to my prayer line....hope things turn for the positive real soon. Keep the faith. Jan

Posts: 896 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Owie, I'm so sorry to hear this! It is truly amazing how much stress & worry can take out of you! It can zap you down to almost nothing. My first hubby passed from lymphoma cancer and I was working a full time job and still taking care of him too. That was super stressful! At least my supervisor understood and I could leave any second I had to, and did have a couple of times to fly home to rescue him.
Good thoughts coming your way for ALL of you! ((hugs))

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4873 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Today...
Got the rest of the onion area "tilled" about a 11'X4' area. "Tilled" the other 12'X3' raised bed, turned some round tomato wires upside down in there and planted English peas around 6 of them and sugar snap peas around five more wires. Between the rows of the broccoli, cabbage & cauliflower I planted radishes, 2 kinds of carrots, spinach & romaine lettuce...all seeds.
Now I just need it to rain tomorrow so that every thing will get a good soaking and GROW!

DH had raked up a bunch of pine straw for me last week to put into my compost bins between layers of horse manure. I hadn't used it all so he didn't pick up all the piles he raked up. I got that all loaded on a trailer today to...before the rain hits.

I'm beat! And my arthritis is telling me that weather is getting closer!!!

posted Hide Post
ga Karen I'm worn out just reading what you do!! Send me some of your energy!!
owie I'm so sorry! Hope you and your family will be beter soon. T&P your way!!

Carlene

Posts: 1656 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Karen, your hard work will pay off big time in wonderful healthy veggies but I sure don't envy you the work. I'm just as glad to put my garden to 'bed' for almost half the year!

Owie, thinking positive thoughts that the situation will improve for you and your family. Take care of yourself.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12742 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
gakaren. I would love to see you gardens. I know they are gorgeous. I am jealous about all those fresh vegies. I know you will be enjoying them.
On another note. Thanks to all who are thinking and pr aying for me. Found out today that I am severely anemic. They think that is the problem. I need to start taking iron pills and need to see a hematologist and have a colonoscopy. I now an very hopeful things are going to turn out right. I just wonder why they did not catch that when I had the stent put in 6 weeks ago.

Posts: 15322 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by owie:
gakaren. I would love to see you gardens. I know they are gorgeous. I am jealous about all those fresh vegies. I know you will be enjoying them.
On another note. Thanks to all who are thinking and pr aying for me. Found out today that I am severely anemic. They think that is the problem. I need to start taking iron pills and need to see a hematologist and have a colonoscopy. I now an very hopeful things are going to turn out right. I just wonder why they did not catch that when I had the stent put in 6 weeks ago.

Glad they found out what it was. But be very grateful for one thing....I was anemic when I was a kid. They made me drink beef/iron/wine tonic! That stuff is N A S T Y!!! I can still smell it in my imagination!

And I got the last 10'X4' bed "tilled" today before the rain hit. I finished it while a few drops hit my head! That was a close finish!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ga.karen,

Picture of thebrownthumb
posted Hide Post
If we could grow anything during the winter, DH would want it to be maters. He hates store bought.

There are no gardening mistakes, only experiments. Janet Kilburn Phillips

Posts: 4432 | Location: Central PA | Registered: Sep 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
No winter garden here since we actually have winter. We've been having some gorgeous fall days lately. Besides trying to do garden cleanup, yesterday I tackled the picket fence that defines the end of the lower gardens. Got the pickets knocked off...now to pull and re-align the posts...two are leaning forward really bad. Next will be to sand and repaint the pickets...although I'm thinking about using plastic lattice instead. Would sure be less labor intensive..although I like the country look of the pickets. We'll see. Pulling the posts out of the ground and resetting is next on the agenda. That is going to be a real job...we'll probably use the tractor.

I need to move a crepe too.....more digging once I find a place. The yarden is getting pretty full.......DH will be unhappy about another tree to mow around - LOL.

ve

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
BT, good to see you post! Have missed you!

VE, I can relate to that "another tree to mow around"! Most men just don't appreciate the beauty when they are mowing!
I've got to repair one of my picket fence panels. The hyacinth bean vine pulled it off the post! I may just add some wire besides a nail or two...to make sure it stays put! Mine is a lot easier to do than yours! And I vote for plastic lattice....the less work the better!