Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Great Backyard Bird Count
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great Backyard Bird Count Sign In/Join 
Picture of Luv R Pups
posted
The Great Backyard Bird Count (GBBC) is upon us already! It starts Friday, Feb. 14, this Fri. I plan to count on as many days as I can. How about you?

Here's the link for more info on how to get started.

http://gbbc.birdcount.org/

You'll find all the info you need to get started there. If you are like me, if you try it once, you'll want to count on more days and/or at more times or locations.

Oh by the way, you can put that you didn't count all the species you saw. That's handy for those of us who can't ID all the birds yet. But I find my interest growing and that I can ID more species each year. But you don't need to stress if you are new to IDing birds.

Luv R Pups
~ It's our relationships, with God and with each other, that really count in life. ~
~~ Gardening, a healthy addiction! ~~

Posts: 4368 | Location: E Cent. GA, Zone 8 | Registered: Apr 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
I did it last year - not sure I'll do it this year. It is fun to do...but it gets pretty cold sitting out there with pen and paper. Wink

ve

Posts: 3764 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not enough birds in my back yard! I did put up a feeder and have some finches and sparrows. Saw one Cardinal and Chickadee is all so far but there is not trees in my yard for them to fly to if they need to. I was very surprised I got any. You folks here were right!! Thanks.

Carlene

Posts: 1822 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Ok gals! You can do it for as little as 15 min. for only one day. Just remember to report your counts.
SB, do it & report! It doesn't matter how few or how many...it is all used for research. And if you do it every year, you can keep track of how your landscaping has increased you wildlife!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5146 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
I think I have more squirrels than birds! (or now
maybe even deer!!) LOL

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 13189 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muddyshoes:
I think I have more squirrels than birds! (or now
maybe even deer!!) LOL

You need a hunter, not a bird count! Big Grin

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5146 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Don't forget!!!! Going on NOW!!! Big Grin