Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  One more weird thing....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One more weird thing.... Sign In/Join 
Picture of ga.karen
posted
I have both Christmas cactus and Easter cactus. My Easter one (2 plants in different pots) is a blood red bloom. Well, they have both already bloomed this year but back at the beginning of Feb...so not near Easter time.
NOW, one is blooming and the other one is FULL of buds.
The Christmas cactus hardly bloomed at all & now they are just growing.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4378 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Everything's mixed up this year, Karen. Mine bloomed just at Christmas & one now has buds again. Very weird. Must be an end of the world thing. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7710 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I, too, had a christmas cactus (yellow) that just bloomed...off schedule.

Posts: 672 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
They are confused...just like the weather man

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7394 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My friend had a Easter or Christmas not sure which it was but bloomed on her DH birthday every yr. May16.
Lucky you gals to have them blooming!!

Carlene

Posts: 1395 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
I set mine outside under the evergreen shrubs all summer long. I bring them in when it starts to get cold. They've usually set buds by then...bring 'em in & they bloom their little heads off. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7710 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
Usually I set mine on the front porch in summertime. They get morning sun and very little water. One would say I neglect them in the summer. I bring them in when the a.m. temp hovers in the mid 40's. They either have set bud or do so immediately after bringing them inside. They are loaded with blooms and then bloom sporadically all winter. Don't know if they are Christmas, Easter whatever. But do love them.

Posts: 15212 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
My aunt gave my mother a Christmas cactus and I got her a Poinsettia. The Poinsettia is still in full bloom! I took them after she passed away this past December 21.

What am I supposed to do with them??? I thought I read somewhere about dark cold places or something Confused

Wanda

Posts: 4801 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
I sure you want to keep yours, but I always toss mine out...too much work. You can google how to make a poinsettia rebloom, and you're correct, it's something about dark closets for several months.

Regarding the cactus. Tossed those too....they are so beautiful when they bloom, but I got tired of lugging them in and out each fall/spring.

ve

Posts: 3225 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vera, I get tired of lugging annuals up and down cellar stairs in the fall/spring. I have to go thru the house. Overwintered a lot-but not anymore...

Posts: 672 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
My Christmas cactus and the Easter cactus either come into the house or go into the garden house when it gets cold. Otherwise, they are all on my front porch, facing east.
Mine don't set buds until after they go into the garden house...if they are going to bloom.
I guess we have light longer down here than ya'al up north?

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4378 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
I no longer have houseplants but when I did my so-called Christmas cactus never bloomed at Christmas. It never bloomed at all until we went away for 2 weeks and it had lower light and no water. I think they do like a little neglect!

Sometimes I think plants get a bit off schedule. A few years ago my lavender didn`t bloom until September and I cannot explain why.

quote:
Originally posted by ga.karen:
I guess we have light longer down here than ya'al up north?

Only in the winter. The closer to the equator one lives the more even the hours of light and darkness are. So at the equator there is approximately 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness year round. The further north one is the shorter the daylight hours are in the winter and the longer they are in the summer. When we traveled in northern Norway I took pics at 11 pm at night without a flash. However the sun does not even get above the horizon in the high Artic regions in winter. Where I live we have short days in winter and the sun sets around 4pm-ish so it`s dark by 5pm and the sun doesn`t rise until almost 8am. In the summer tho it`s still light at 10pm and again by 4am.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12611 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post