Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  soilless potting mix for cacti
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

soilless potting mix for cacti Sign In/Join 
Picture of glp
posted
I have been trying to grow cacti & succulents for about a year but I've not been very successful especially with succulents. I've been mixing my own potting mix but I'm not very happy with it. Does anyone have a recipe they use they would share? thanks.

Posts: 868 | Location: Ga | Registered: Sep 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
On a site called cactiguide.com there is a good recipe/formula for cactus soil there. I think that would be a good one to try. Cactus doesn't need a lot of organic soil, just a little. so this sounded good.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7866 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fine Gardening magazine has this about soil for cacti.
http://www.finegardening.com/v...cacti-and-succulents

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8188 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of glp
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the helpful info. I've got some new succulents to repot & anxious to try a new mix.

Posts: 868 | Location: Ga | Registered: Sep 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
I use a bagged mix for "cactus & palms" for my succulents and baby sago palms. I haven't had any failures to date.

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7548 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of glp
posted Hide Post
I used a bagged mix when I first started growing succulents or I should say "tried". Then I started reading more & most websites say bagged soil is not good. I've tried so many different mixes now I'm really confused. I probably should go back to bagged soil although it doesn't drain well for me. thanks for reply.

posted Hide Post
If you buy a commercial, ready made, potting soil for Cacti you need to be sure it states on the bag something about Cactus Growing Mix. Just any soilless potting mix will not do for succulents.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8188 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Depends on your weather and humidity if you are leaving your plants outside. I use much less soil and more sand for my mix. It's rains a lot and is very hot and humid down here. I'm sure those of you up north or for inside pots the mix would need to be adjusted.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7577 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of glp
posted Hide Post
Thank you. The last mix I used for succulents was 1 part cacti soil & 1 part pumice or grit. That didn't work well either. I know succulents are supposed to be easy to grow but I can't seem to find the right mix. I'm careful not to overwater. Now I'm getting paranoid about them, LOL!