Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Fish pond with waterfall
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fish pond with waterfall Sign In/Join 
posted
posted Oct 20, 2013 05:00 PM
I am not even sure if I am on the correct message board, but maybe someone can help me figure out where I am supposed to be. I have a large fish pond with about 50 wonderful goldfish. The water in the pond is always cloudy, making it impossible to see the fish most of the time. I would LOVE to be able to see my fish. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to make the water clear and clean? We have drained the pond several times but within a day it is cloudy again. Can anyone help me?

Posts: 245 | Registered: Feb 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10425 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, the water from the waterfall comes into the fish pond, goes through the filter, and then gets recycled through the filter and then goes back up to the waterfall.

Posts: 245 | Registered: Feb 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you feed the fish? IF so, you may be feeding them too much.

Posts: 15330 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Try a product called Pondzyme...I don't have fish but I use it in my pond so it doesn't get cloudy. I works for me. Good Luck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7849 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Toots
posted Hide Post
how often do you clean out the filter?... and do you give the filter a little boost with a biological?.... and is it big enough to handle the wastes from fifty fish?....I have a five by eight foot pond about three ft deep and maybe a dozen fish and my filter is a barrel about the size of a five gallon bucket or a little larger... it does a fine job... how big is yours in relation to that?.... yours should be at least that big and probably bigger and get cleaned every two weeks in summer or so....

also, how much shade does your pond have?... full sun helps algae grow and that's your cloudiness.... get some floating plants to cover at least half the surface area and that will cut down on the algae growth and help to clear the water, too.....

there is always the use of a UV attachment in line with your filter to help kill off the algae...it's a good thing, another expense, but worth it if you're really wanting to see those fish!!

go to a good fish/aquarium/pond store in your area and get help with this....is this your winter coming or your spring?... you may need more help with putting it to bed for winter now or getting it going for the summer and we don't know what to tell you without knowing where you are.....

"Gardening Keeps Me Growing!"

Posts: 26884 | Location: Near Charlotte, NC, zone 7 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Also, barely straw pellets will keep the biggest part of algae away. But you need to add it right after the pond has been cleaned for the best results.
It is available at many pet stores.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4997 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If all else fails try garden web...they have a seperate forum for ponds.
p.s. Karen, you beat me to it. Was going to tell her about barley straw, too.

THere are quite a few products out there that are safe for fish and get rid of algae. I think I use something called Pond Clear.

Posts: 918 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shook29
posted Hide Post
There is also lots of pond forums that I have gotten lots of help from. My favorite is called THE POND FORUM...lots of good advice there.

Posts: 870 | Location: PA zone 6 | Registered: Mar 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post