Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Potted Plant 1st Time Blooming!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Potted Plant 1st Time Blooming! Sign In/Join 
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted
My mind's in a fog, can't remember what this is and it's surrounded in it's winter home in my dining room. From across the room I thought this was a fungus.

Posts: 16479 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's blooms. First time I remember it blooming...but then I can't remember the name so perhaps it's bloomed every year and I just can't remember!!! Wink

Posts: 16479 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another blooming plant...but it blooms every year for me. This is from a couple/three years back. This year, I took it to the county courthouse to share it with everyone at work.

posted Hide Post
Such dainty flowers. Sorry I have no clue. Pretty tho!

Carlene

Posts: 1372 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jvelo
posted Hide Post
The second one is a Chr*stmas cactus but the first I don't know!
Very interesting. I tried to google descriptions like white flowers blooming out of the leaves but to no avail!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jvelo,

Posts: 3243 | Location: Putnam County, NY z5 | Registered: Jun 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I think its in the same family as the christmas cactus. No idea what its name might be, though.

Why not go to the experts and see what they have to say, the Cactus and Succulent Society.

http://www.cssainc.org/index.p...frontpage&Itemid=314

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Florida Farm Girl,

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6210 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If my SIL were handy, she could tell me what it is. She'll give me the Latin name first. I'll go Huh? Then she'll tell me the better known name.

We do that every year with my Cox Comb. LOL

Yes, my Christmas cactus blooms faithfully every year! I've had the oldest part for about 10-12 years. Last year I bought a white Christmas cactus. It will be exciting when it gets as showy too.

That first no-name plant at the top has grown so much and hangs down over the rim of the pot (similar to the Christmas cactus) that whenever it needed watered, the least little bump would knock it over. I finally bought a heavy ceramic pot for some weight so that it would stop falling off the shelf. I do not like ceramic pots - they make the plant so heavy if you have to move it. But...at least the plant doesn't hit the floor any more.

Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Green with envy! What a beauty that cacti is!
You southern girls really can grow some beautiful
plants.

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12450 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
I think it's of the Christmas cactus family, too. I'll see if I can find someone who knows what it is.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7701 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Toots
posted Hide Post
I went to the gang at Garden Web....here's the reply.....
Posted by seedmoney 8A (seedmoney@embarqmail.com) on Wed, Jan 2, 13 at 15:48

Congrats!
Your friend has a type of jungle cactus known botanically as Rhipsalis. Since they originated in the rainforests of Brazil, they require less light and more water than desert cactuses. Most are epiphytic (ie they grow on trees--not as parasites-- but as a physical means of support for their roots). Small berries (usually white or orange, sometimes red) will develop from flowers that have been pollinated. All Rhipsalis make excellent hanging basket subjects.

and I found this...
http://cactiguide.com/cactus/?...lis&species=crispata

"Gardening Keeps Me Growing!"

Posts: 26868 | Location: Near Charlotte, NC, zone 7 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Toots!

muddyshoes - I can grow what I can grow, but I guarantee you that I have more failures than successes. So...I stick with what I can grow. Wink Most are pure accidents! LOL

I'll clear the other plants away and take another photo so that y'all can see how big it is/how long it hangs down.

Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Awesome, Toots...what would we do without you and your connections?? Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7701 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Our Toots is an awesome gardener and one smart tootie pootie as well.

ve

Posts: 3177 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Toots
posted Hide Post
aw, g'wan!!!!...... I'm here to serve....and those folks at Garden Web are just the bestest....

"Gardening Keeps Me Growing!"

Posts: 26868 | Location: Near Charlotte, NC, zone 7 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jvelo
posted Hide Post
Cookie Ice Cream Wink
Nice job Toots!

Posts: 3243 | Location: Putnam County, NY z5 | Registered: Jun 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When looking for information on the care of succulents- go to my blog http://beaucycled.wordpress.com/. I share the secrets I've learned with my viewers! keep checking back as i post daily!
Meredith at Beaucycled

Meredith at Beaucycled

Posts: 6 | Location: Philadelphia | Registered: Jun 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
So pretty.

Posts: 15205 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Please note folks...this is an old thread brought forward for someone to advertise their blog!
If she had looked at the pictures, she could have seen that the person growing these plants didn't NEED her advice! Big Grin

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4314 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post