Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Morning stroll.....graphic.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Morning stroll.....graphic. Sign In/Join 
Picture of patty louise
posted
Was walking around with my coffee checking on my newly plant coral bells.

Someone left me a present.

Posts: 10349 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10349 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NYlady
posted Hide Post
I get those "gifts" from the neighborhood raccoons.

Posts: 3349 | Location: Staten Island, NY , USA | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
well at least it's in your garden bed where you wouldn't walk. We get em in the grass or on the sidewalk from those who don't carry a bag!!!!
Love your puppy! Smile

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
nice gift!!! euuuuuuuuu

ve

Posts: 3172 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wavy
posted Hide Post
EEEEWWWW, OMG what are you feeding him? I thought it was a bear or something! LOL!!!!
(guess I'm just used to my kittie cats) I get gifts from random raccoon or oppossoms (sp?) occasionally too. Not sure what animal as I never caught them "in the act"!

SPRING HAS F I N A L L Y SPRUNG!!!!!

Posts: 453 | Location: "The Garden State" ~ N.J. | Registered: Jul 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
I'm beyond reacting to the mere site of that type of present. Except for the time I saw one on the walkway right in front of my porch as I stepped out to bring in the morning paper and almost stepped in it. It still puts a bit of a damper on my enjoyment of a meal when I see, through my kitchen window, the present being left while I'm eating.

Multiply that present in your picture by 330 neighbors, the majority of whom have a least one dog. Subtract the number of neighbors who clean up after their dogs and add in the people from the next neighborhood who also have dogs but only walk their dogs in my neighborhood because it's safer where I live and you get a vague idea of what I deal with. I have a dedicated trowel for cleaning up the presents. I've also taken up the old family sport of Scottish pile flinging. Fortunately the neighbor with the Great Dane moved before I started because that fellow required an empty 5 lb peanut bag and shovel to clean up after.

Posts: 2641 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
quote:
what are you feeding him?

Not THAT much! LOL!

Still tryin yep, you got me beat! LOL!

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Since we got the cats, I don't get much of that any more. But I had some foxes that liked to "dump" on anything new I had planted!
We also used to get the occasional coon or possum and a few deer deposits...but not now with 6 cats running around here. Even the stray dogs are starting to stay away as well as all the neighbors who turn theirs loose at night!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4305 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ga.karen:
Since we got the cats, I don't get much of that any more. But I had some foxes that liked to "dump" on anything new I had planted!
We also used to get the occasional coon or possum and a few deer deposits...but not now with 6 cats running around here. Even the stray dogs are starting to stay away as well as all the neighbors who turn theirs loose at night!
The dogs have more sense than their owners. The presents left on my property were left by a dog on a leash with the owner directing where the dog walked. I have a nice neighbor behind me but his common sense is lacking when he walks up on the property of recently widowed woman and walks beneath her windows. He's so close to her house a good breeze would knock him into her windows. Aside from being discourteous you think he would realize it might scare her to hear or to see the shadow of someone lurking right outside her windows. He does clean up any presents his dog leaves but his dog is still watering her flowers.

Posts: 2641 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Last time I lived in town, 9 years ago, I watched as the guy running with his dog stopped to allow him water the across the street from me neighbor's bushes. Just as the dog approached on his long leash, the front door popped open and Phyllis gave the jogger 'what for.' The dog urine was killing her bushes.

The dog was never allowed to stop in her yard again. The sad thing is that the city owned the property behind the houses on that side of the road and had not only a drainage ditch but also plenty of flat right-of-way that the man could've been taking his dog to.

I am rural now and just have to put up with the big dog poop in my yard. You'd think that since I have 10 acres that they'd go anywhere except right out front...Noooooo.

Posts: 16464 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
lol! Smile too funny! lol

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
OMGosh such horror stories here! Not to mention rude neighbors!

Still tryin - "Scottish pile flinging" LOL!

Karen I know rabbit & deer & coon - not sure I would recognize possum!

KeepYouinStitches I would do the same thing your neighbor did! I do know from experience that dog urine will totally kill a boxwood. We have trained our dogs to visit the field after dinner but our female is kind of hard headed.

Ruby I did have to laugh when I saw that present! DH says take a pic, take a pic! I have trained him well.

DH has 2 books: "What Shat That?" & "Scats & Tracks". LOL! He likes to be well informed!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: patty louise,

Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
LOL, what a present!

Recently when I was out walking a couple of hundred feet from my house there was a large pile of moose droppings. People have told me they've seen a large moose on my property but I've yet to see him but have seen 'proof' he was here!

Luckily I don't have the problem of other people's dogs leaving presents altho there are lots of wild critters that do. I think it was chipmunks that continuously left presents on my deck last summer. Yuck! However the only ones in my house yard are little ones from my own dog.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12587 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
quote:
large pile of moose droppings

Yikes! Are they afraid of people like our deer are?

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
What a photo! Does your dog think you can't see him behind that tree? LOL!

I have a 8 x 20' fenced in area for my dogs to go in, I surely don't want them to have access to the whole 10 acres. If they do make a deposit while they are exercising it gets scooped up right away.

I have found presents from various animals, but the worst has to be from the cranes and turkeys..they are usually not "transferable". :/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zone9alady,

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
quote:
but the worst has to be from the cranes and turkeys..they are usually not "transferable".

That is too funny!

Yes, she is hiding.....she knows that she pooped in the wrong place!

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Awwwwe...she is so cute!

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post